“Leisurley Summer Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Marlborough

The Marlborough
Ranked #24 of 69 Restaurants in Marlborough
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A stunning contemporary menu using only the best produce with an emphasis on local products and suppliers. Bar Food, Vibrant and varied with all day grazing and British Tapas. World class wines, local beers and fantastic cocktails. Six individually styled boutique rooms in the stunning 15th Century Building.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was visiting Marlborough last Sunday with my wife and daughter,, it was late morning so we decided to find somewhere for Lunch. Having recently heard that the Marlborough has appointed a new head Chef we thought we would try it out. "Good Decision", the food was excellent and beautifully presented, we ate outside in the Courtyard and were served by a smartly dressed young man with impeccable manners. This was a first for us but it will not be our last visit. Apparently the new chef is Kai and he has put together an excellent menu. Well done to all concerned.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We pop in every so often for a glass of wine and had meant to try the food for a while. Ignoring the reviews here we decided to try it ourselves a few weeks ago. Hmmmmm

The menu is fantastic, the food looks amazing, the ingredients appear fresh and of great quality but it just misses the mark on so many points AND it is hideously expensive.

Some examples
My tempura prawn and squid. Actually tempura squid with half a prawn (!) was beautifully presented, creatively put together and when it arrived at the table I was delighted with my choice. In reality it was greasy and limp, very salty and actually quite mediocre. I did mention to the gracious staff and received a gracious apology.

My partner's fish and chips - a hit you would think? A HUGE piece of fish, chips an mushy peas again looked amazing, tasted well DULL, greasy, lacking in pazzazz.

Has to be said though... pudding was amazing!

Pricey pricey - over 100 quid for 2 courses for 2 people and only a couple of drinks.

Not sure I'd eat there again. I wouldn't say don't go there as it is a lovely pub in the centre of Marlborough, but not sure it's as good as it could be.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I found this quaint hotel on my travels in The South Downs and decided to give it a visit.

Walking into the pub, I was pleasantly surprised by the decor of the interior because outside, it appeared to be quite modern.

There was a fire lit in the fireplace and the rafters were exposed adding to the impression of a country pub.

Even though there were a few customers being served, we were approached immediately by a well dressed manager (I assume?) who offered us the choice of remaining in the bar area, going into the garden or settling in in the restaurant. We took the latter and was seated in a pleasant beer garden with delightful outdoor furniture.

The service was good with the waitress ensuring that we were comfortable and took our drink orders before giving us a menu. The menu had a fine selection and we were given a good time to make our selection.

My wife tried the Chicken Salad and I took a risk with the burger. To my surprise, the burger was delivered on a lovely wooden board and both meals were tastefully presented. The quality of the food was superb and we were both satisfied with the portions that were put in front of us.

The waitress, Anna, was a lovely smiling girl, who was very attentive to us and was quick to bring us new drinks when our glasses were running dry.

In all, I was very satisfied with my visit and would thoroughly recommend this place.

The only cause of concern was the prices of the meal. However, due to the quality of the food and the service by the waitress, I was happy to pay the bill with much satisfaction.

This pub is strongly recommended and we will return without any doubt on our return to the area.

1  Thank Harold B
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We went for our first meal here for our wedding anniversary. The restaurant area is bright and airy. The bar is more cosy and was busier. The food was good but we felt over priced. We've had better for less. My tempura starter was 2 large rings of squid and one prawn. For £7, not a lot. Husbands pork pie was exactly that, a standard pork pie on a plate with salad. Heavy for a starter as he was expecting a twist on a pie. Mains were very good, I had lemon sole and husband had veal hotpot. Again expensive but good. My Eton mess was fab and OH had a very tasty cheeseboard. Staff were friendly and politeand service was good. Would we go back? Probably not.

1  Thank Aly S
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Staying at the Marlborough is such a treat, home away from home. So completely love it here! The food is awesome and a cut above the rest. Local, sustainable, flavorful... upbeat and artistic! We took over the rooms for a workshop and when it came to the "taste and flavor" part of the curriculum, the Marlborough definitely delivered! Everyone was so fantastic and personable, it was indeed sad to head back home. I guarantee we'll be back again and again!