“Wonderful Horse Drawn Caravan ”

White Horse Gypsy Caravans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

I surprised my wife with this for our honeymoon. She absolutely loved it, as did I. It is the perfect mini break that lets you unwind, relax and live life at a slower pace. It is perfect for people who are passionate about horses and families. If you don't have any experience with horses then don't worry as full training and instruction is given. Fantastic pub grub is available at lunch and dinner time. In the morning there is an opitunaty to cook your breakfast on an open camp fire. The people are friendly and welcoming and our horse Ned was gentle and sweet.

Date of experience: May 2016
"fantastic weekend"
"his job"
"caravan holiday"

Reviewed 18 May 2016

Ever since I was a child I've longed to live in a horsedrawn gypsy caravan, finally my dream came true, I found this holiday & booked it.
A warm welcome on arrival to a beautiful village in Wiltshire, we settled into the gypsy caravan overnight. We went to get Ned our lovely white gentle horse, then we were taught how to groom, harness & drive Ned..... Off we went on a truly special journey that brought tears of happiness to my eyes, through beautiful countryside, lovely little villages & stopped lunchtimes at friendly pubs to relax, eat & let Ned have a wander. After lunch we travelled on to a little bit of heaven for the night, a little private glen with a stream, trees, camp fire........ Ned wanders around keeping an eye on us, having cuddles, looking through the caravan door to see what we are up to. This was my absolute highlight, just us with our lovely Ned, in nature, felt truly magical, lanterns lit. We then had the choice of cooking on the fire or going to the very old & charming pub for a meal & drinks. We chose to cook breakfast outside in the morning so went to the pub where we were made very welcome. Waking up to Ned being so pleased to see us, he came down the path as soon as he saw us open the door.... more cuddles!!!! After a nice brush down & harnessing up off we went again, stopping at a different lunchtime pub which was again very nice, Ned had his own field to roll & roam in. Our final leg of the scenic journey back to Polly's to park up the caravan for the night. After we all had a cuppa & Ned a wash, brush & water, I rode Ned bareback up the road to his field for his well earned rest. Ned was a real gentleman & looked after us beautifully, he knows exactly what he is doing & made us novices feel relaxed. Our last evening was spent walking to the Barge Inn along the canal path for a drink & to see the sunset. I was very sad to come to the end of our trip but the young cows looking over the fence at me made me smile.... I said to them, we will be back again soon to do it all over again. I can highly recommend this wonderful adventure to anyone who loves nature & beauty at its best, don't worry if you are novices like us, help is always at hand & Ned is a great teacher

Date of experience: May 2016
2  Thank Anna-marie A
Reviewed 15 December 2015

We visited on the last weekend of July 15. What a fantastic time we had! We arrived 4 pm on the friday and were shown to our caravan, which was in the corner of one of the prettiest gardens I have ever been in, facing a meadow straight out of a Jane Austen novel.
After settling in and exploring, we walked across the meadow and down the canal tow path to The Barge, then returned, sat on the steps of the caravan, drank wine and watched the sun go down.
After a good nights sleep on a suprisingly comfortable bed, we met the grooms and our fellow campers, who were all very nice and friendly, and went to collect the horses from a field just up the road.
Our horse was called Ned. Huge and grey. Absolutley beautiful. He was impeccably behaved throughout, apart from spooking at a tractor on that first day.
It wasnt a problem. My husband, Martin, is very used to horses and their ways and managed to calm him very quickly.
Back at Polly (the owners) cottage, we had a lesson harnessing the horses and then set off to our first stop. Our groom Vanessa, was knowlegable, friendly and extremely helpful, without being in any way obtrusive.
She was on hand the whole time which was reassuring, even though the route is well mapped and the roads very quiet.
After our lunch time stop, we travelled on to the evening one. The pub was called the 7 stars and behind was the most idillic camping groung. A little wooded glen with a stream at the end and a fire pit just waiting to be lit.
That evening, it being my birthday, we ate in the pub which was superb, then toasted marshmallows whilst the horses grazed nearby.
The following day the grooms came about 10am and we arrived at our lunch time stop a couple of hours later, then back to Pollys in the evening.
I must admit, the weather was perfect which helped a lot, but if you like camping, horses and nature, there is no better way or place to spend a few days.
Thank you, Polly. Just keep doing what you are doing. We will be back.

Date of experience: July 2015
3  Thank martin j
Reviewed 27 October 2015

A meet up of old university friends brought us to the Caravan. 3 of us embarked on the Gypsy life with White Horse Gypsy Caravans. We had a wonderful time. Polly was accommodating to all of our needs and went out of her way to make our trip magical. We loved the setting and the collection of animals. Waking up with the sun streaming in through our caravan doors, whilst looking out over a field. Ned was also a great horse.

Date of experience: October 2015
2  Thank Crothall100
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 October 2015

A last minute treat towards the end of summer and what a good choice. First off, we had perfect weather for the weekend but we had our waterproofs if needed. We arrived at base camp, Kate's Cottage. Want it. Polly our hostess was there to welcome us and made us feel right at home. A tour of the caravans and facilities, then to our little wheeled palace.
It was all we expected it to be. Quaint and comfortable, clean and tidy. Fresh bedding and all the pots and pans we could need.
After night one in the van we were up and away to collect Ned, our gypsy cob. Want him.
Once groomed we were guided in how to tack Ned up and get ready for the road.
The rest of the weekend was a series of experiences never known before and likely to last well into the winter months.
While out on the roads a friendly wave and smile to all passing cars kept everyone safe. Journeys like this will renew your faith in people. We must have been photographed a hundred times over the days.
Reluctantly we had to return to base and untack Ned. He is a cracker of a horse. A four legged friend and a joy to be around. Interested, inquisitive, entertaining.
Again upon return Polly was there to help us untack Ned from the van and to groom him down and spend a bit of time with him before returning him to his field for a well earned roll in the grass.
Got a few days spare and want to try a bit of off grid living? Here is your chance.
Highly recommended for the fun of traveling and living a simple lifestyle even if only for a few days.

Date of experience: September 2015