Review Highlights
Whimsical and nostalgic experience

This was a very special few days- everything I had hoped for. The caravans are gorgeous... read more

Reviewed 7 September 2018
Anna F
via mobile
John and Frances Life in the slow lane

No mobiles no tv's what a wonderful experience just beautiful Wiltshire a horse a caravan and... read more

Reviewed 24 June 2018
John H

All reviews horse drawn first night beautiful countryside few days country lanes open fire magical experience the pub dream come true seven stars fell in love special holiday fantastic weekend his job caravan holiday fantastic history final leg
Reviewed 30 May 2016

Just got home after a great weekend touring the lanes of beautiful rural Wiltshire. From the outset we were made to feel very welcome by Polly (the owner) who explained all we needed to know before we set off.
We have never been around horses and was little nervous about handling our horse but after meeting (and grooming) "Ned" a beautiful, gentle white gypsy cob we couldn't have been more relaxed. I guarantee you will fall in love with him and want to bring him home.
Our caravan was very clean and everything you need (utensils) for your overnight camp is provided for you. You can choose to dine in a thatched country pub or cook over an open log fire in a sheltered glade, next to the river. We did both and it was an enjoyable experience.
If you want to get away from sprawling suburbia and all its associated stress... then we would recommend this holiday. If however, you like thumping disco music, fast food and fruit machines.... this would definitely be too peaceful and relaxing for you. But you won't know what your missing until you try it!

We look forward to doing it again.

4  Thank jayrobbo2014
Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

My husband surprised me with this for part of our honeymoon, and I couldn't have wished for a better experience. Most people pay far more money than this to go abroad and lay on a beach in the sun, but this beats it by a mile. Polly and her staff are lovely, friendly, kind people and really make you feel welcome and relaxed. They show you everything you need to know, so don't worry if you are not very knowledgeable. Ned is a gorgeous horse, and has a wonderful temperament. Before going on to Polly's, my husband and I stayed in a 4 star hotel near Longleat and I wasn't really looking forward to "roughing it" after that but I slept just as well in the wagon as I did at the 4 star hotel! I thought that we wouldn't be eating much either, but was I wrong. Each stop is at a different pub, where you can get lunch or dinner. I highly recommend this for horse lovers and family's.

2  Thank DianeYelf
Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

I surprised my wife with this for our honeymoon. She absolutely loved it, as did I. It is the perfect mini break that lets you unwind, relax and live life at a slower pace. It is perfect for people who are passionate about horses and families. If you don't have any experience with horses then don't worry as full training and instruction is given. Fantastic pub grub is available at lunch and dinner time. In the morning there is an opitunaty to cook your breakfast on an open camp fire. The people are friendly and welcoming and our horse Ned was gentle and sweet.

2  Thank ThomasYelf
Reviewed 18 May 2016

Ever since I was a child I've longed to live in a horsedrawn gypsy caravan, finally my dream came true, I found this holiday & booked it.
A warm welcome on arrival to a beautiful village in Wiltshire, we settled into the gypsy caravan overnight. We went to get Ned our lovely white gentle horse, then we were taught how to groom, harness & drive Ned..... Off we went on a truly special journey that brought tears of happiness to my eyes, through beautiful countryside, lovely little villages & stopped lunchtimes at friendly pubs to relax, eat & let Ned have a wander. After lunch we travelled on to a little bit of heaven for the night, a little private glen with a stream, trees, camp fire........ Ned wanders around keeping an eye on us, having cuddles, looking through the caravan door to see what we are up to. This was my absolute highlight, just us with our lovely Ned, in nature, felt truly magical, lanterns lit. We then had the choice of cooking on the fire or going to the very old & charming pub for a meal & drinks. We chose to cook breakfast outside in the morning so went to the pub where we were made very welcome. Waking up to Ned being so pleased to see us, he came down the path as soon as he saw us open the door.... more cuddles!!!! After a nice brush down & harnessing up off we went again, stopping at a different lunchtime pub which was again very nice, Ned had his own field to roll & roam in. Our final leg of the scenic journey back to Polly's to park up the caravan for the night. After we all had a cuppa & Ned a wash, brush & water, I rode Ned bareback up the road to his field for his well earned rest. Ned was a real gentleman & looked after us beautifully, he knows exactly what he is doing & made us novices feel relaxed. Our last evening was spent walking to the Barge Inn along the canal path for a drink & to see the sunset. I was very sad to come to the end of our trip but the young cows looking over the fence at me made me smile.... I said to them, we will be back again soon to do it all over again. I can highly recommend this wonderful adventure to anyone who loves nature & beauty at its best, don't worry if you are novices like us, help is always at hand & Ned is a great teacher

2  Thank Anna-marie A
Reviewed 15 December 2015

We visited on the last weekend of July 15. What a fantastic time we had! We arrived 4 pm on the friday and were shown to our caravan, which was in the corner of one of the prettiest gardens I have ever been in, facing a meadow straight out of a Jane Austen novel.
After settling in and exploring, we walked across the meadow and down the canal tow path to The Barge, then returned, sat on the steps of the caravan, drank wine and watched the sun go down.
After a good nights sleep on a suprisingly comfortable bed, we met the grooms and our fellow campers, who were all very nice and friendly, and went to collect the horses from a field just up the road.
Our horse was called Ned. Huge and grey. Absolutley beautiful. He was impeccably behaved throughout, apart from spooking at a tractor on that first day.
It wasnt a problem. My husband, Martin, is very used to horses and their ways and managed to calm him very quickly.
Back at Polly (the owners) cottage, we had a lesson harnessing the horses and then set off to our first stop. Our groom Vanessa, was knowlegable, friendly and extremely helpful, without being in any way obtrusive.
She was on hand the whole time which was reassuring, even though the route is well mapped and the roads very quiet.
After our lunch time stop, we travelled on to the evening one. The pub was called the 7 stars and behind was the most idillic camping groung. A little wooded glen with a stream at the end and a fire pit just waiting to be lit.
That evening, it being my birthday, we ate in the pub which was superb, then toasted marshmallows whilst the horses grazed nearby.
The following day the grooms came about 10am and we arrived at our lunch time stop a couple of hours later, then back to Pollys in the evening.
I must admit, the weather was perfect which helped a lot, but if you like camping, horses and nature, there is no better way or place to spend a few days.
Thank you, Polly. Just keep doing what you are doing. We will be back.

Date of experience: July 2015