The hotel is well situated on the high street, but is surprisingly quiet. Welcomed by a very friendly, efficient receptionist who gave us everything that we needed. Our room was comfortable, if somewhat lacking in character - given the age and appearance of the hotel, I certainly felt that they could have been a bit more inspirational with the décor. The bathroom was functional, if not a tad tired, and again slightly lacking in inspiration - I'm sure they could have stretched to proper glasses rather than plastic ones...
What let the hotel down most was the service at breakfast, we came down with just less than 30 mins to go and found almost everything exhausted. I lost count how many times we had to ask for refills of milk/juice/cutlery etc. That said the food was good and the staff helpful, if not somewhat lacking in initiative/training.
This is a nice hotel and don't be put off, you'll have a good time but, with a bit of effort, it could be much better!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Extensively refurbished early 2012 and situated on Britain’s widest high street, The Castle & Ball has had a fascinating past dating back to the 15th century, with some of the original oak timbers pre-dating the Spanish Armada. The building’s age accounts for some individual features including the splitlevel brasserie-style restaurant. The hotel’s walled Beer Garden at the rear provides a relaxing setting for those looking to enjoy a drink and a meal alfresco-style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Castle & Ball Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Castle And Ball Hotel
- The Castle & Ball Hotel Marlborough, Wiltshire
- Castle Ball Marlborough