“Cant fault the place”

The Castle & Ball Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marlborough
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a couple of times now on business and I will stay here again next time I am in the area.
All the staff are friendly and attentive. The rooms are not the most modern in the world but if they were that would just spoil the place. The creaky floors and the decor just add to the charm. The rooms however are well appointed with good beds tea and coffee making facilities and flat screen televisions. There are plenty of towels and toiletries in the bathroom too as well as lots of hot water.
I've eaten in the restaurant everytime and never had a bad meal. I can also say I have never left the restaurant wanting more either. They were changing the menu the day after my last visit I hope they keep the fish and chips on it is definitely worth a try. Breakfast is good too with plenty of choice, the usual cooked breakfast or some lighter bites if you are still full up from the evening meal.
Everybody keep up the good work

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Castle & Ball Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments, and don't worry, Fish & Chips is still on the menu! I think we would lose half our customers if we were to take it off!
Our new menu started last week is already very popular, lots of different dishes for you to try on your next stay with us.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Very friendly staff, despite being busy. Parking no problem at all. Good central location in town. breakfast good, waiting staff very attentive. For evening meals, reasonably priced food in restaurant but plenty of alternatives locally. Room 1 is on the ground floor and opens onto the beer garden. The depositing of laundry bags for the whole hotel outside room 1 at 6am suggests that Room 1 may not be the best choice. Otherwise all good, and would recommend hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I will look into the laundry bags at 6am comment, our housekeepers dont start that early and we dont get deliveries until later, so I'm not sure what that noise was.
There are lots of places on the High Street to eat, so plenty of choice if you are staying for longer than one night and want to get out and see the town.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here for two nights over Easter. We had a spacious room overlooking the High Street. It was clean with a good bathroom/shower, hairdryer, iron/ironing board & hospitality tray. Ample free parking on site. All staff were friendly, helpful & happy - to me a sign of good management. We had breakfast & dinner there and food was great. Could not fault this place for food or accommodation. I don't think there is a lift in so would not be good for anyone who cannot manage the stairs.

Room Tip: View of the High Street from front rooms, view of car park from rooms at back. Windows in our room a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We all had great fun over Easter, busy but enjoyable!
Thank you for mentioning that we have no lift, it's good for future possible guests to be aware of that.
Really happy that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you will be back for another visit.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Enjoyed a relaxing Easter weekend break at The Castle and Ball.
Its well located in the centre of Marlborough and benefits from ample free parking.
On arrival we were very warmly welcomed by Richard at reception and all the staff we met seemed highly motivated and very friendly.
The hotel seems very popular with the locals and this creates a good atmosphere in the bar .Had a good evening meal with wine which was good value for money and the breakfasts were very nice too.
Overall it was a very enjoyable stay and would definitely return or recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, glad you enjoyed your Easter break. It was a busy time and we all enjoyed it here, so it's great to have feedback from guests who agree.
Thnak you for commenting on the food, I will let the chefs know that you enjoyed your meals.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I stayed 1 night here in a superior room, the room was huge, spotless and with a lovely four poster bed and flat screen tv, with a lovely aspect over the town center. Breakfast was great and plenty to choose from. In terms of value for money this hotel can't be faulted. We had a great Sunday lunch with friends, which was tasty and well received by all (the puddings are excellent!) followed in the evening by a few well priced glasses of wine and tapas sharing dishes. The staff were attentive, polite and well humoured (our waiter at lunch was especially lovely bringing our friends teenage daughter separate glasses of ice and lemon for her drink as she was undecided! What a star!) it is the little touches that make a difference.

Marlborough is a lovely town, with some fabulous shopping, and lots to see and do in the local area. We will be moving into the locality in a few weeks, and I am sure that the castle and ball will become a regular haunt based on our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Castle & Ball Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Your review is lovely, thank you! I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and although I can imagine you won't be needing the bedrooms, we look forward to you becoming regulars in the future! Good luck with your move.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel is old. This means there are plenty of beams, low ceilings, limited light and squeeky floors. Not a problem if you are on the top floor and no one is above you, more of a problem on the 2nd floor where I was awoken by someone simply moving around their room! It's a nice hotel that feels unfulfilled - 1st time I stayed in a lovely large room that was simply plain. The 2nd time, a couple of nights later, I had a room at the front complete with a window with a broken sash and a towel stuck in it to keep it open and I assume to manage the oppressive heat. The fact that we would have all the noise from the High Street meant it was acceptable. On asking to be moved, this occurred with minimum fuss and our next room was again brighter and at the back of the hotel. Staff are pleasant; food is good but I think the hotel is expensive for its current condition.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel tend to be brighter and certainly quieter. Rooms on the top floor al...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thnk you for your feedback. I am very sorry the room was unsatisfactory, I will make sure that the broken sash gets looked at. I am glad that you enjoyed the food at the hotel.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights at this attractive 18th century inn in the centre of Marlborough High Street. Received an excellent and very friendly reception. Rooms at these inns do vary a great deal in size and facility so decided to book a superior room on the first floor; this proved to be large and accommodated a very comfortable 4 poster bed. Large window area overlooking High Street, with an adjoining balcony, yet experienced very little noise. Bathroom around average size, plenty of hot water with a satisfactory bath & shower. Both rooms were absolutely spotless. The floor timbers were uneven and creaked a bit but this was part of the charm of this old inn.Plenty of storage and drawer space, decent TV and everything designed to ensure a comfortable night. Possibly the room could have done with a sofa, in addition to the two chairs, just to fill some of the space! Standard Old English Inn breakfast was tasty, hot and enjoyable. Had dinner one night and this was also very satisfactory and well-served at a good price. Large car park accessed through opening adjacent to main entrance. Residents do not need to pay at machine. All the staff are very friendly and helpful and it is a particularly pleasant town so I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Worth paying the little extra for a superior room if you can manage it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. I will look into moving some extra furniture in the room as it does look slightly empty.
We look forward to seeing you next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlborough
Chiseldon House
#1 of 1 in Stockcross
The Inn with the Well
The Inn with the Well
#1 of 29 in Marlborough

Been to The Castle & Ball Hotel? Share your experiences!