The Castle & Ball Hotel
HolidayInn.com
US$115
US$95
  • Pool
Parklands Hotel(Ogbourne Saint George)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
The Harrow Inn(Wanborough)
Three Swans Hotel(Hungerford)
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsold english innshigh streetsuperior roomcreaky floorboardsgreene kingeggs benedictold buildingfour poster bedbar areahis teamgood sizecar parkingold coaching innboth nightssalmonmain streetlovely town
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed over at The Castle & Ball for one night as we were attending a party nearby.
The hotel served this purpose. I advised them late in the afternoon that we would be a late check in, but when we did check in sometime shortly after 10pm. the receptionist told us that she had been calling us, but did not leave a message, so am not sure if my earlier message was passed on.
The room was ok - furniture a bit shabby, in fact I think the whole place could do with a facelift. I also found the shower very difficult to turn on( a personal thing as my husband had no trouble).
Breakfast was very busy and consequently the service was very very slow - sitting and waiting for our food I could not help but notice the dust, scratches and general shabbiness. Once the food arrived though, it was good, despite the fact that the waitress forgot our first toast order. The coffee was awful - filter coffee.
Wifi was a disappointment - we were showing a full service, but none of our devices would open to even just check our mail.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue B
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Castle & Ball Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for you feedback.
If guests haven't checked in by 9pm we do normally try and call to see if they would like any food ordered for their arrival, which a lot of people like if they have had a long trip. We had a full refurbishment in 2012 and because of normal wear and tear, we are starting to do a freshen up.
We often have 60 or more guests for breakfast so it is a very busy time, I do apologise if you felt the staff were slow, and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the coffee.
Our wifi is the 'Cloud', for this you have log on and create an account, even though your device will say you are connected you still need to set up an account for the free wifi, this is stated in the guest serices in you bedroom, and on the back of the key fob given at check in.
I hope this doesn't discourage you from visiting an Old English Inn in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Room and bar / restaurant were good and car park was useful (the town has v poor parking) but the staff were excellent. Breakfast was let down but really poor coffee but otherwise was OK. Meals were OK - better than pub grub, just. I thought it was somewhat expensive as i had to pay a single room supplement.

Room Tip: We had rooms to front and rear and all were equally good and peaceful despite Saturday market.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for leaving feedback, although I am a little confused as we never charge a single room suppliment, so I would like to ask you contact us to discuss this further.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We went on a Sunday Evening as a party of four

At first they said that they couldn't fit us in the restaurant even though there were many table but within a few minute consultation in the book a table was found. None of the empty tables where taken whilst we ate.

All our meals were excellent but the mixed grill stood out both in size and quality

After the initial table issue the staff where excellent

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Castle & Ball Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your review. It is often the case of using tables more than once and making sure we give ourselves enough time between bookings to get the tables ready for next guests which probably happened here, so I'm glad we were able to have you dine with us.
I will pass on your compliments about the mixed grill to the chefs, they will be happy tp hear it, thank you.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We have been here a number of times now and have to say diappointed each time. The girls could barely smile, unhelpful, some customer service training would be in order.Our food was basic, unappetising and portion sizes very small.
Shame as the place itself is lovely but quite unwelcoming.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 180,497
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Castle & Ball Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your comments, as you can see from our other reviews this is very uncommon and I would be very interested to discuss this further with you so I can pin point times and staff.
I do apologise for your bad experiences with us and I would very much like to clear this matter up. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for one night in order to attend the Jazz Festival. Room on the smallish side with even smaller ensuite and could benefit from a refurb. No lift, very old hotel with creaky floorboards but had loads of character and right bang in the middle of Marlborough. Very buzzy atmosphere as some jazz gigs were held in bar area and in a marquee in the car park and so extremely busy. Staff helpful, particularly at breakfast. Breakfast good and cooked to order which is so much nicer than the hot buffet arrangements which so many hotels seem to favour these days. Would generally recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Castle & Ball Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your review, it was a great weekend, probably the best Jazz festival that I can remember.
I do apologise for the small room, obviously being such an old building and being listed, we are unable to alter the size of bedrooms so we do our best to make the space work as well as possible.
I hope you consider staying again for what I'm sure will be an even better Jazz Festival next year