“Disorganised to say the least”

The Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Melksham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a family wedding evening reception and the bride booked the room for us in advance. On arrival at 5.30pm we checked in. No one took a car registration or our card number. We were told that they had a plumbing problem so would we mind a twin instead of the double we had booked. We agreed to this as it was just one night and were given the keys to room 8 and then told "you are in room 3, but don't worry the key will fit". We went up a flight up stairs to room 3, but there were clothes on the bed and shoes in the room so we didn't go any further than the doorway.

I returned to reception and no-one seemed to know what to do about it. One girl said that the couple in 3 had been asked to move, but she wasn't sure. She went to get another young lady and they discussed things for some time, The young lady obviously didn't know how to resolve it and said "oh well we will just have to wait and see what happens". I was less than impressed and told her that we had travelled for the wedding, we had nowhere else to go and we wanted to freshen up before the reception started. She then decided to put us in room 8. Had the plumbing problem been sorted I wondered.

The bar area and reception room were well decorated, but the rooms need sprucing up as they are quite shabby. The bed linen was very clean, but the carpets and furniture all looked very tired. The bathroom was also shabby with grubby grout and a huge toilet roll that had come from a dispenser in the public toilet downstairs. The paintwork badly needed doing and the windows were grubby with old secondary double glazing.

I warned my neice that the keys appear to fit more than one room so not to leave any valuables in the room. If I had been less than honest I could have taken anything from room 3 using the key to room 8!

Next morning we went to the bar area for breakfast and sat for some time waiting for service. I went to reception a couple of times to see if there was anyone to take an order. After some time a young lady came and asked if we would like tea and coffee. We replied that we would and we would also like 2 cooked breakfasts. When they arrived they were'nt too bad, but very cheap ingredients and I think the mushrooms were either frozen or from a tin.

We collected our things from our room and went to check out. Although the bride had booked the room for us at a rate of £60, I was asked for £90, which I refused to pay and they agreed to charge me £60 after I said I would ask the bride, who was currently eating breakfast in the bar. There is no way that room was worth £90 and I would not have paid that even if it had been the previously agreed price.I have to say that the idea of skipping breakfast and just leaving was very tempting, as they had taken no details from us at all.

I think this is a pub with rooms rather than a hotel. It has lots of potential and I wish the manager all the best and hope he can improve things in the future.

Room Tip: Room 8 is directly above the reception room so unless you are joining the party don't book it as...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Kings Arms Hotel

Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed for 1 night at The Kings ArmsMelksham, in July, 2012. We arrived mid afternoon and were told our double room was ready (£75 incl.breakfast). When we entered the room, we notice the carpet was dirty and not hoovered, bed linen not changed, toilet seat broken and bathroom light flashing, the towels were damp and obviously used previously. We complained, and were moved to another room at the top of hotel, which was ok, but TV not working. Rob found the problem and TV OK. He was very helpful and apologised etc. We cancelled our booked evening meal, and ate in the town. We then discovered the local fete was starting 5ish and hundred descended on the town. We went back to hotel to find a wedding in full swing and spent the evening in our room from 8.30pm watching tv drowning out the loud music. There was no resident lounge, the bar area was very busy. Breakfast was poor and waitress sullen as she said up until 1pm, I said join the club!! This is more a B & B pub and we shall not be returning but wish them all the best for a better future.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2012

In our travel through England we booked a night at the Melksham Kings Arms. For seventy pounds it was bad value for money. We got good service from the staff but the room was terrible. the bed was extremely soft, the floors leaned different way, there was a crack i n the ceiling, the bathroom was terrible.
One of the very worst hotels I've seen...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2012

What a fantastic venue for a wedding - good arranging lovely staff and good food. Manager very capable and friendly. Everybody in the wedding party had a great time and were made very welcome. Accomomdation clean and comfortable. Would recommend this hotel for a stay or party nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy H
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My friends and I booked several rooms here in June 2012 and were very disappointed with the bad state they were in. The manager, Adam, was very apologetic but should have ensured that the rooms were in good order. Food was good although a little pricey. We will not be staying here again unless we hear of improvements.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

My friends and I booked several rooms here and were very disappointed with the state of them. Lights with wires hanging out of the wall, no hot water from the basin in the bathroom, tv's that did not work. The manager, Adam, was very apologetic but he should have ensured that the rooms were in good order. One of the rooms was not ready when we arrived a couple of hours after our check in time. On the plus side, we did eventually get a refund. The food was good although a little pricey for what you got and the bar staff were very friendly and efficient. Unless I hear that the rooms have been updated, I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Be aware that the hotel is in a very busy part of town and can get very noisy and that the stairs to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank youdbetterbelizeit
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Horrible, dirty, dusty, noisy, manager coming into my room as I was getting changed to give it to another guest. No appology the next morning. Cold breakfast room. So cold I had to wear my husbands jumper on the second morning. Inconsistent breakfast on the two days. Would have turned around and walked back out if I hadn't booked excursions. Cobwebs at eye level (real thick ones) and I am 5 foot 2. Side table pooled from the wall and the holes filled in and not painted over, never bothered to dust either. Truly horrific!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melksham
The Conigre
#2 of 5 in Devizes
Whaddon Grove House
Whaddon Grove House
#3 of 14 in Melksham

Been to The Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!