“Voted best canalside pub in Wiltshire, easy to see why!”
Review of The Barge Inn

The Barge Inn
Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Melksham
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Fabulous location, excellent Wadsworth beer and high grade pub food. Good team of staff ensured that the wait for the food was not too long.
Well worth the trip we will go back and fancy trying the Sunday roasts!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Second visit to this very popular canal side PH, always busy and service can be slow, bar rarely has more than one serving. Food is good but over priced, £19 for a 10oz rump? £13 for sausage toad? Overall, very friendly staff, restaurant service good, great location and good parking.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Have lunched here several times over this summer. It is always pretty busy but has never failed to serve us well whether for light sandwiches or full meals. The beer is good, well looked sfter and wines reasonably priced.
The canal view whether eating inside or out is a bonus but we would go anyway. The staff have always been cheerful and efficient.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We go to the barge quite often. It is always busy and you can sit outside by the canal as it is literally on the bank. The outside seating is lovely and the bar is cosy. The staff are friendly enough but unless you are a real local they never seem to remember you which is a shame, but I guess they are so busy with such a high turnover of customers, they don't have time to remember everyone. The extension which was completed last year is not as nice as the rest. The decor is a bit old fashioned and it is a shame that corners seem to have been cut as it is not in keeping with the rest. You can always get a great meal here and the beer is well kept I am told ;-) Perfect for family lunches (Sunday roast is very acceptable) and it is fairly priced.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Over rated in my opinion. Arrived and took an outside table on a warm day. Ordered drinks from the bar and asked for menus.........Something was already concerning me, the menus were A4 print outs and lets just say I was not the first to handle them. I was a bit nervous to hand them to the parents in law but proceeded.
We ordered a large fish and chips (12.95) a small fish and chips (7.95) grilled plaice with new pots and crayfish (c13.00) and a pea and mint risotto small (c6.00) and a side of mixed salad (2.95)
My disappointment continued when I was 'Weatherspoonesque' informed that I could get cutlery and condiments myself from the bbq stand outside...............not what I was paying for!.
I collected the necessary myself although there was no salt........I had to visit another table to ask them had they finished with the salt - again not what I was expecting to do.
Our food arrived with one fish and chips and I pointed this dish to the mother in law as she had ordered the small version. The other dishes arrived and I realised that the waitress carried an oversized fish finger with her - meaning the first one was the large one! A little embarrassing dish swapping later we began to eat. The wifes risotto was superb, the rest was like the service, very Weatherspoonesque - and I feel I may be a little harsh here on them as they charge so little for their food. Plus points lovely outdoor area and risotto was excellent, down points small portions, including the driest of mushiest peas, frozen chips?, grubby bland menus, self service of condiments and poor value for money. Would not return for food nor would I recommend them but would return for a beer and to enjoy the outside area............