“Waterside”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We went to The Barge with family on their recommendation and we weren't disappointed. The setting and outlook is lovely being situated at the side of the Kennet & Avon Canal with boats passing. Our meals delivered in a reasonable time, were very tasty and well presented, the staff were friendly and helpful. The most impressive part was a negative turned into a positive. On checking my bill at home there was an overcharge. I emailed them at 11.30 pm and they replied straight away with many apologies and a refund, no if's but's and maybe's just sorted. I find that very refreshing.Well done them!

1  Thank RobEll4348

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We visited here for a birthday lunch.We started with, The Bread Platter, advertised as for waiting with, this was loaded with different delicious breads ,butter and oil with balsamic.

Unfortunately it arrived with the starters of Duck Pate for my husband and Ham Hock terrine for myself.

The duck pate was good served with a sweet pickle, the terrine was served with piccalili which was very bland.I can remember my grandmother buying Brawn in Devizes when i was small, which i suppose has been updated to terrine, but it seems the same thing.
We both had the special of Beef Pie with mash and beans, this was plentiful and very good,the meat in the pie was very tasty.
The staff are very friendly and the food arrived very quickly after ordering.
A good pub with a relaxing atmosphere ,watching the boats go up and down the canal as we ate.
Unfortunately it was raining and a bit chilly so we had to sit inside,on a nice sunny day this would be an ideal spot to enjoy a meal out.
Not too inexpensive but not overpriced.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Good food (although specials were a little pricey), excellent service and friendly and welcoming. The location is the fantastic thing about this place, just wish I lived closer for it to be my local!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stopped for Sunday lunch at the Barge Inn after a morning cycling the tow path.It was a hot day, the pub was very busy but the bar staff were welcoming, the food was excellent and the service was good.We passed a very happy hour sitting in the garden beside the canal watching the world go by. We look forward to our next visit.

1  Thank angprop
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My previous 2 visits were both to kill time before funerals so didnt take much in. This time we went for no better reason that that we were nearby. Excellent food quickly served by friendly staff, we sat outside in the sunshine on the edge of the canal and enjoyed a leisurly meal watching the world float slowly past on the canal. 2 courses with drinks and tips £25 per head and well worth it.