“Could do better”

Whaddon Grove House
Ranked #3 of 15 Melksham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Our stay here was the final night of a three night break during which time I had done many miles of driving with two elderly passengers. For our final night, my mother and I were on our own and I wanted to give her a special experience after two nights at comfortable but basic budget hotels.
My mother’s room was in the main house and was lovely, comfortable and with a good countryside view. She was particularly pleased with the adjustable bed and was initially pleased with the walk in shower. However, being elderly and having had a hip replacement, the high slip potential looked like an accident waiting to happen, so I asked if a non slip mat could be provided. (‘if you book on the internet we don’t necessarily know your requirements’) None was forthcoming. The owner advised firstly to use the cloth bathmat as he didn’t mind if it got wet then secondly he tried to sell me the next door luxury room at a reduced rate. I declined the latter pointing out that if she did slip, me being in the room next door wouldn’t help. I said that I would go to the Asda in Melksham to buy one myself. In the end, we solved the problem by my mother wearing my crocs in the shower but our host didn’t know this as he made no further enquiry about the matter.
My bedroom with private bathroom was in the annexe. No soap was provided at the wash basin so had to dispense the liquid soap from the shower and take it to the wash basin. Both bedroom and bathroom were very comfortable, and being exhausted, I was soon asleep only to be woken later by a late arriving guest parking her car on the gravel surface immediately outside my ground floor level window. (As there was plenty of parking space, why no notice to ask for consideration of guests nearby late at night?) I was allowed to eat breakfast with my mother in the dining area in the main house because I was with her, but if I had not been with her, my breakfast would have been served in a comfortable and well kitted out gloomy room in the annexe.
Breakfast complete with dominating wide screen TV (why do people come to the countryside after all?) consisted of a good fruit salad but one choice only of juice, two choices of cereal, and no choice about the type of bread for your toast. Although my cooked breakfast was good with locally sourced foods, our host offered smoked salmon-which I would have preferred –to another couple when it hadn’t been offered to me. Coffee was an unnecessarily complicated affair and you had to be lucky to catch one of our hosts to operate the machine for you (why not provide cafetieres on the tables?).
Whaddon House offers many pleasant (pool & hot tub) and unusual (donkey) features. However, if you describe your establishment as ‘luxury’ you should maintain a high standard throughout and have better customer care than we experienced.

Room Tip: Main House
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Coastlander

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Had an amazing 2 nights in the deluxe room, totally relaxed & had the best time. Will be booking again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My husband and I visit the Melksham area fairly regularly to see family and finding somewhere "nice" to stay is always difficult, particularly during the summer. We are delighted to have found Whaddon Grove House and can only echo all the other positive reviews that have been posted here. The house is immaculate and the welcome from Paul and Lorraine very warm. We booked the room with the balcony and the hot tub, which overlooks the swimming pool, garden (with Bertie the donkey!!) and fields beyond. The room was huge, very clean and had everything we could have wanted - including chocolate - and of course, the fabulous hot tub.

The breakfast served was the nicest we have had for a long time, and we were very sorry to have to leave after just the one night. This B&B offers excellent value for money, particularly compared to some of the grotty alternatives available in and around Melksham (which in some cases, charge more). We will definately be returning and would not hesitate to recommend it as a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The hotel was immaculate throughout and the service was excellent! We arrived to a warm welcome and a spotlessly clean room. Our friends joined us for an hour that afternoon and we spend it in the pool and the hot tub, we was even provided with glasses for our champagne to celebrate my sisters birthday. Nothing was to much trouble but you never felt mithered, fantastic customer service! The location is so serene and relaxing, sat by the pool looking out onto nothing but green fields. Then the breakfast, in the bright, clean dining room. The food was delicious and plentiful. It truely was a spectacular hotel and i will definetly be returning and have recommended this to friends and family already. You will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Had a brilliant stay with Paul + Lorraine. They were both so welcoming + friendly without being over the top. Really genuine hardworking people who have opened up their beautiful home to visitors. We had a room in an annex off the main house. 50" plasma tv in room with king size bed. Every conceivable extra provided, including chocolates. We had our own sitting area with leather sofas, tv, kitchen area, fridge with wine, beer, + pop. Breakfast was faultless, plenty choice + piping hot. Definitely would stay again if in the area. Well done Paul + Lorraine!!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Having booked a room for the Bank Holiday weekend, I thought the price was a little expensive for a BnB. It was only on the way that I read the booking form and found that it said we had booked a room with a jacuzzi on the balcony! Now that was a price worth paying.

I programmed the sat nav and headed off. Wow!....was our first impression. The house is gorgeous and the grounds are stunning-set to the back-drop of a 30 acre farm. Nice lounging area with an outdoor pool, sauna etc. and despite that you drive through an estate area to get there, there is absolutely no neighbours within view.

However, it was the room that blew us away. Our own private jacuzzi on the balcony; 50in flat-screen television; spa-bath; tropical rain shower; and a huge, comfortable bed! I could not find any fault with the property or the room. We spent a most relaxing evening in the jacuzzi looking across the fields as the rain poured down. I can only imagine how amazing it is in the sunshine! Breakfast was fantastic, also.

Located just 12 miles from the magnificent and historic city of Bath. Thanks to Paul who suggested that we visit Lecock on our way to Bath and this is a must see for anybody in the area (esp any Harry Potter fans) as it is only 4 miles away. I wholeheartedly recommend this BnB for anybody visiting Bath and would have no hesitation in returning. In fact, we can't wait to revisit!

Room Tip: Book early as this gets booked out very fast.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nosus
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Myself, my wife and two teenage children have just come back from a couple of nights staying in the new family suite that Paul and Lorraine have just commissioned, and cannot praise the experience highly enough.
The accommodation (a huge double and spacious twin, both with own bathrooms, and a lounge) was comfortable and spotless; the welcome from the owners genuine and friendly; and the breakfast one of the best.
Go there and enjoy!!

Room Tip: Ring Paul to ensure you get most appropriate rooms
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family