“Fantastic! Amazing value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Whaddon Grove House

Whaddon Grove House
Ranked #3 of 14 Melksham B&B and Inns
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Fantastic! Amazing value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed here for 1 night and wished we could have stayed longer. A really warm welcome from both the dogs and the owners, beautiful location, really nice room and fab shower!! The owners were really friendly and couldn't do enough for us, hope to return soon and share the bottle of wine with them that we promised!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Whaddon Grove House sits in open countryside with no near neighbours, so is extremely peaceful. It features free Wifi, a swimming pool and hot tub. Our room had a luxury shower room, the best we have ever enjoyed, with quality toiletries and even scales. It also had twin electric beds which were extremely comfortable. The fittings were all of a very high quality and there was a large flat screen TV and even night lights. Coffee and tea facilities were provided as well as sweets, while downstairs reasonably priced bottles of wine and other drinks were available with payment via an honesty box. Our only criticism is that there were no chairs in the room and no guest lounge, so the only place to sit was on the bed. No evening meals are provided but breakfast was plentiful and delicious. The owners are lovely people, very friendly and helpful. We will certainly stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Our stay here was the final night of a three night break during which time I had done many miles of driving with two elderly passengers. For our final night, my mother and I were on our own and I wanted to give her a special experience after two nights at comfortable but basic budget hotels.
My mother’s room was in the main house and was lovely, comfortable and with a good countryside view. She was particularly pleased with the adjustable bed and was initially pleased with the walk in shower. However, being elderly and having had a hip replacement, the high slip potential looked like an accident waiting to happen, so I asked if a non slip mat could be provided. (‘if you book on the internet we don’t necessarily know your requirements’) None was forthcoming. The owner advised firstly to use the cloth bathmat as he didn’t mind if it got wet then secondly he tried to sell me the next door luxury room at a reduced rate. I declined the latter pointing out that if she did slip, me being in the room next door wouldn’t help. I said that I would go to the Asda in Melksham to buy one myself. In the end, we solved the problem by my mother wearing my crocs in the shower but our host didn’t know this as he made no further enquiry about the matter.
My bedroom with private bathroom was in the annexe. No soap was provided at the wash basin so had to dispense the liquid soap from the shower and take it to the wash basin. Both bedroom and bathroom were very comfortable, and being exhausted, I was soon asleep only to be woken later by a late arriving guest parking her car on the gravel surface immediately outside my ground floor level window. (As there was plenty of parking space, why no notice to ask for consideration of guests nearby late at night?) I was allowed to eat breakfast with my mother in the dining area in the main house because I was with her, but if I had not been with her, my breakfast would have been served in a comfortable and well kitted out gloomy room in the annexe.
Breakfast complete with dominating wide screen TV (why do people come to the countryside after all?) consisted of a good fruit salad but one choice only of juice, two choices of cereal, and no choice about the type of bread for your toast. Although my cooked breakfast was good with locally sourced foods, our host offered smoked salmon-which I would have preferred –to another couple when it hadn’t been offered to me. Coffee was an unnecessarily complicated affair and you had to be lucky to catch one of our hosts to operate the machine for you (why not provide cafetieres on the tables?).
Whaddon House offers many pleasant (pool & hot tub) and unusual (donkey) features. However, if you describe your establishment as ‘luxury’ you should maintain a high standard throughout and have better customer care than we experienced.

Room Tip: Main House
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Coastlander
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Had an amazing 2 nights in the deluxe room, totally relaxed & had the best time. Will be booking again for sure.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

My husband and I visit the Melksham area fairly regularly to see family and finding somewhere "nice" to stay is always difficult, particularly during the summer. We are delighted to have found Whaddon Grove House and can only echo all the other positive reviews that have been posted here. The house is immaculate and the welcome from Paul and Lorraine very warm. We booked the room with the balcony and the hot tub, which overlooks the swimming pool, garden (with Bertie the donkey!!) and fields beyond. The room was huge, very clean and had everything we could have wanted - including chocolate - and of course, the fabulous hot tub.

The breakfast served was the nicest we have had for a long time, and we were very sorry to have to leave after just the one night. This B&B offers excellent value for money, particularly compared to some of the grotty alternatives available in and around Melksham (which in some cases, charge more). We will definately be returning and would not hesitate to recommend it as a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Northwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

The hotel was immaculate throughout and the service was excellent! We arrived to a warm welcome and a spotlessly clean room. Our friends joined us for an hour that afternoon and we spend it in the pool and the hot tub, we was even provided with glasses for our champagne to celebrate my sisters birthday. Nothing was to much trouble but you never felt mithered, fantastic customer service! The location is so serene and relaxing, sat by the pool looking out onto nothing but green fields. Then the breakfast, in the bright, clean dining room. The food was delicious and plentiful. It truely was a spectacular hotel and i will definetly be returning and have recommended this to friends and family already. You will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Had a brilliant stay with Paul + Lorraine. They were both so welcoming + friendly without being over the top. Really genuine hardworking people who have opened up their beautiful home to visitors. We had a room in an annex off the main house. 50" plasma tv in room with king size bed. Every conceivable extra provided, including chocolates. We had our own sitting area with leather sofas, tv, kitchen area, fridge with wine, beer, + pop. Breakfast was faultless, plenty choice + piping hot. Definitely would stay again if in the area. Well done Paul + Lorraine!!

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melksham
The Conigre
#2 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Guyers House Hotel
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Corsham

Been to Whaddon Grove House? Share your experiences!