“Fabulous bed and breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cleeve House Bed & Breakfast

Cleeve House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 14 Melksham B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous bed and breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

This is a beautiful building, with stunning views, and depending on what you want will depend on whether you like it or not. The accommodation is fine, rooms I think are lovely, but do not expect a boutique hotel. I had a lovely room, with a little vase of flowers, fabulous view, enormous bedroom, with a TV and radio that was totally fine, bathroom is adequate, shower takes time to warm up this is a seriously large building and think the plumbing needs time but it does warm up, just do not expect power showers and all the add ons. There are towels, and soaps but take a hair dryer. The owners are lovely, welcoming, and cook a mean breakfast, and the costs are so reasonable. I have now stayed here twice and loved it. And if I need to be in the area again I will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed 3 nights for a seminar.
Accomodation was standard,but the house itself is incredible.Has a lot of history and I can see why it caters for weddings and functions.
Carlo and Barbara were very welcoming and the breakfast great.
Would suggest upgrading the rooms to have wifi and satellite tv.
Wifi is available in the public areas.
Very quiet at night and convenient place to stay for exploring the surrounding area.

Room Tip: get a room on the lower floor overlooking the entry banqueting hall.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a truly stunning building, I felt very humble entering the hall. I had a very warm welcome and help with my case going to my room. I was the only guest on this occasion, but they are normally exceptionally busy with all different types of functions. I can see why this would be ideal for weddings as the surroundings and ambience just lend themselves to special occasions. My room was absolutely fine with a very comfortable bed and all normal amenities. I was attending an evening function elsewhere, so had to tick a sheet of paper to say I had returned so they could lock up. Breakfast was cooked whilst I sat chatting with the owner/chef, and was delicious. I would very happily stay again as it was so nice to not be in the standard hotel room that looks the same from town to town. And all very reasonable too. Well worth staying in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Belper, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

My new wife and I recently had our wedding at Cleeve House and it could barely have been a more perfect setting.
We had exclusive use of the property which was very reasonably priced and worth every penny and a few more on top. The variety of spaces in the house meant we could have a different room for the music, the bar and the evening buffet which meant people could find wherever they were comfortable and no one had to shout at each other over the music if they didn't want to. They were also perfectly happy to source and arrange a marquee for the main evening meal. The marquee sat in the gardens which looked amazing in the sunshine and there are plenty of secluded spots away from the main lawn for some great photo opportunities.
Barbara and Carlo (the couple that run Cleeve House) were very accommodating and allowed us free reign to use the house however we wished. This allowed us to put a really personal stamp on the event, much more so than you'd be able to do at your average golf or country club.

In summary, I could not recommend this as a venue for a wedding strongly enough!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndyMoriarty
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Our room was great with white french country style decor and really nice and comfy, new linen. We had a lovely, comfy big arm chair and a small table and chairs in our room which looked out over the front of the house. The bathroom was big and clean and the towels were also really nice. Tea, coffee and biscuits which were in the rooms were a very nice touch. The breakfast in the morning was brilliant as was the local country pub we got pointed towards the night before which is right on the canal. We had booked two other rooms as well and they were both really big and lovely as well. Lots of parking, a big picnic area out the front of the House as well as lots of natural woodland around it so in Spring there are quite a few bluebells which was really pretty. Good value for money, 7 people stayed here and all of us would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I find the positive reviews of Cleeve House a mystery. On arrival the building is impressive with easy parking and a welcoming host and hostess. However, thereafter the experience went from bad to worse. My husband and I booked a double with a second double for the single occupancy of our daughter here on holiday from Australia. Her room was at least bright with good views, whilst ours was dark with high windows and no views. On seeing the old bed linen my heart sank, it did not look clean, but I think the problem was it was just worn out. The duvet on the main bed was warm enough, but lumpy through extreme old age. The furniture was dreadful – poor quality dark pieces with draws that fell out on opening. A tiny old type portable TV about 12” was at the side/head of the bed so could only be watched from a chair – and as it was a set top box the remote did not control the sound. The wet room was dreadful, no power shower and so weak flow. Impossible to wash our hair and even if had done, no conditioner or hairdryer. Also no hand towels supplied (in either room) just one bath towel each. A light broken and the natural light above the shower was full of debris. The sink overflowed unless you constantly turned off the tap and was too small to put the kettle to fill it so had to use cups of water. I was just glad we only had one night booked there as this was dreadful value even given that the cooked breakfast was acceptable.

Room Tip: Don't go - even our daughter's room with a view had a horrid bathroom
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank champagne535
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Oh my goodness - I can't rave enough about Cleeve House @ Seend ! It's simply stunning !!

We had our Wedding here in May 2012 and my whole family stayed in the accommodation. I note in "Zooks6" comments the manager - Carlo has replied in saying that the Bride & Groom organise the accommodation for the wedding guests - I can confirm that this is exactly true. When we arrived for setting up the day before the wedding all rooms were left open with keys and I was able to go to each and personalise the room for my guests - putting names on doors, leaving gifts, cards, flowers in the rooms for my friends and family as I wished. This gave a very personal, friendly touch.

The Managers Barbara & Carlo welcomed us and all my family and friends with open arms. We were made to feel like this was our home (if only for a weekend). They were helpful and supportive every step of the way and cannot fault anything with regards to this venue.

As weddings go we had some quite "Quirky" things going on at ours ......... hawk displays and ring delivery, varying types of live musicians, even live fish - we really pushed the boundaries of what's acceptable to ask of a venue for a wedding .............Cleeve house were supportive of every idea we threw at them. This completely sets them apart from any other wedding venue we visited. Their passion to help make our day truely special was very much appreciated and we will always be grateful.

The house itself is architecturally stunning. It's pure beauty is amazing and the views are just impressive. The house is very well cared for and the managers are trying to update areas where time and money permit. The food is excellent and the service cannot be faulted.
We decorated the venue with the tradtional flower displays and other quirky decorations, but to be honest it's beautiful enough as itself ! ............ on our special day the masses of bluebells in the gardens even decided to bloom for us............

We had an amazing stay and a truely special & stunning wedding. A couple of weeks have now passed since our wedding day and we are still having nothing but positive comments from friends and family about our choice of venue.

Cleeve House gave us the opportunity of having our dream wedding.
We look forward to spending many a happy anniversary in the future at Cleeve.

Thankyou to everyone @ Cleeve.............from the bottom of our hearts !! :-)
Rach & John xx