“An embarrassment to have been here.”
Review of Bell Inn

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Having previously been here a year or so ago I recommended that we take our friends here for lunch. The ease at which we were able to make a late booking should perhaps have been the first warning of what was to come and the empty salt pot on the table the second ….it was! Not a bad table position for the 7 of us, in fact I recall there was only one other small table in the same area; this is where the guy who came to take our order chose to sit before declaring “I'm not very good at this” And on this aspect, I have to praise his honesty. Once the meals arrived we began to reminisce the old days. Its not that we hadn’t seen our friends recently, it's just that the meals reminded us of school dinners – pre-cooked beef gently warmed in a vat of gelatinous gravy, It was a nice school - no swimming pool though; unlike the vegetables that arrived swimming in a pool of their own luke warm water. When being shown the freestyle medley of vegetables, the staff dropped the dish, veg all over the table, and us. The staff apology didn’t really make up for it – because he didn’t make one. This was a truly shocking visit and an embarrassment for me to have taken my friends there. An empty salt pot so what? this is an indicator of the their attitude towards you, no choice as to whether you have gravy or not? - an indicator of how they care about your dining experience. If I displayed the same attitudes at work, I'd be out of a job, I was embarrassed to have taken my friends here, poor food quality, disgraceful service and poor value for money. I’d advise against making the same costly mistake.

3  Thank Phillip R

Reviewed 10 November 2013

In the past we have had lovely meals at the Bell. However very disappointing that this place has changed hands. It was one of the worst Sunday lunches we have ever had. This is NOT home cooked food, the Roast Beef was processed sliced meat (it was not from a joint cooked on site) reminiscent of poor school dinners. The vegetables were swimming in water. Food luke warm. The staff appeared to have never run a food establishment before. Had to ask for serving spoons. The person taking our order even said "do you remember Faulty Towers?" When the barman collected the plates he said "everything alright" when I said "I have had better" his response was "Luverly Jubbly". When Choc chip swirl ice cream was served instead of honeycomb which was ordered, the lady was quite rude and insisted it was honeycomb. Customer service appalling.

One person in our group usually books the Bell for their work Christmas meal... needless to say he is taking the business elsewhere this year.

The Bell is way over priced for the standard of food and service. Do not waste your hard earned money .....go somewhere else.

2  Thank Lottie A
Reviewed 9 November 2013

7 of us went there as we could not think of anywhere nice to go out in the area that is still good,

I had been told that the bell had changed hands , so we gave it a try, and we were so glad we did.
All our meals were fantastic and the service was good. it was not that full, a lot more people need to try this food out. 10 out of 10.

Thanks for a good night

The Smith booking

1  Thank Philip S
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The Bell is a lovely pub with spectacular views from the garden, great service instead. However was unimpressed with the veggie options on the menu, especially for Sunday roast. Described as 'onion & rosemary sausages' they were blatantly frozen Linda McCartney's not homemade, and tasteless. And for the same price as an apparently very tasty lamb roast, it's a little unfair. No nut roast in sight, can't understand why not when it couldn't be easier to make and freeze a tasty nut & lentil roast to be served when needed!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We've eaten here on several occasions and have not been disappointed. The food is good and the staff are friendly...what more can you ask! This is our local pub so we're lucky to have it on our doorstep!

1  Thank SmartN01