“Five Stars for Food and Service”

Shaw Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Melksham
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We booked this last minute to save travelling to Bath for a family christening. Although as others say, the rooms were in need of some refreshing, the staff, service and food were all excellent. The evening meals were particularly outstanding for quality, presentation and range. The location was lovely with a great garden area. All room amenities with a big bathroom were sufficient for our needs. All in all, the convenience, position and food far outweighed the lower rating for the size and styles of the room decor.

Room Tip: The room next door had late night revellers using their jacuzzi bath which kept us awake! So avoid t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DurleyHampshire

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We made a last minute decision to use this hotel enroute to Twickenham from Bodmin so as to avoid the pressure of a late arrival. We were not disappointed and the evening meal provided was very good and the server was exceedingly pleasant. The room provided as the last available was somewhat tired and probably due a face lift. We had a quiet night with very little traffic noise. Prices were quite reasonable and clearly the staff were doing their best.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed at the Shaw House Hotel this weekend with my boyfriend as we were guests at an evening wedding party being held there. We live in Somerset and figured it would be cheaper to stay over than get a taxi home the same night.

The grounds themselves seemed nice, the restaurant area (where the wedding party was) was definitely the most uptogether part of the venue - everything else, the bar, the lounge, the stair well, the lobby, our room, was horrible dated, a bit smelly and completely past it's time.

We paid just under £80 for the room for the night which was discounted - I wish we piped up about our dissatisfaction when we paid, but the poor girl who took our payment was also serving breakfast and doing the toast, so she wasn't exactly in a position to talk.

Our room, number 4, smelt musty. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the carpet was the type of thing you'd get in a run down pub. Although the room was clean, it was far from what we expected fo £80 out in the sticks in Wiltshire. To be honest, I'd have thought £50 would have been a more reasonable price to pay. £5 each for the breakfast and £20 for the room.

The bar wasn't that horrifically over priced, but we didn't buy too many drinks ourselves. The breakfast was a sausage, 2 rashers of bacon, an egg, black pudding and a tomato - plus the choice of brown or white bread. I did expect at least some baked beans? Even the tea was washed out.

Our room was also really hot and the only two choices for the windows were wide open or 5 inches open, so we had no opportunity to vent out the room whilst we were at the party. I didn't sleep very well because it was so hot.

We left the Shaw House Hotel feeling deflated and ripped off, and won't be staying for any other weddings we might attend there in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RosieWollacott
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I met a friend who was staying here on a business trip. Although I cannot comment on the accommodation, the food was really good value, beautifully presented and cooked and the generous helping of fresh vegetables were very nice. Thoroughly recommend the baked alaska pudding - to die for! I have strongly recommended this hotel to several of the people I work with who come to the area but have been disappointed with other hotels. Set in lovely gardens, nicely maintained, clean and quiet, plenty of parking, what more could a tired business guest want?

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is my second stay in as many weeks. What makes this place great is the staff, they are so very friendly and welcoming which seems to rub off on other guests who also all chat to each other - really nice when staying alone like me. The food is excellent and there is plenty to choose from, the desserts deserve a particular mention. I dont often eat sweets but these are just too hard to resist and I was driven to photograph one to show to my family. I agree with previous comments around the rooms being a little tired but my bed is really comfortable and isn't that what really matters? For value for money and a 'home from home' feeling, this place would be hard to beat.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2013

this hotel is set back from the road in a lovely setting. the rooms are clean and have all the extras you could imagine, iron, ironing boards, trouser press, hair dryer, tea and coffee station, large flat screen tv and free wifi. the beds are huge and extremely comfortable. staff are extremely friendly, welcoming and couldn't do more to make you feel at home. but the best part is the food. both the bar and restaurant menu are unbelievably extensive, portions are very generous, everything is cooked to order, comes piping hot and in my opinion was absolutely delicious. for a 2 star hotel this place is wonderful, and if you live in the local area I'm sure Sunday lunch will be just a good as the evening meals here! thanks Nick and Paul!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2013

A mid-week overnight stop while working 20 miles away lead to myself and a colleague having a couple of single rooms for the night. Set back from the Bath Road, behind some trees and bushes the place was suitably quiet and the atmosphere informal and relaxed. First impressions are good however the staircase up to the rooms is narrow, with a mid-way 180 degree turn around and fire door at the top - both awkward if you have both hands full (i.e. overnight case and laptop bag). The single rooms with en suite were both clean and comfortable. Mine had a compact shower cubicle, which delivered an excellent early morning shower while my colleague's had a bath with in-bath shower.

Back downstairs the bar is comfortable, clean, neat and tidy with a good range of drinks. Meals can be had in either the bar or restaurant irrespective of which menu you order from. We ordered a simple choice from the menu expecting typical pub fayre when told the portions were "massive". Wow, were we surprised, more accurately, blown away. Not by the size of the portions (not as large as described) but by the quality - which is the right way round for me. Both portions proved spot on for our appetites, and the deserts are to die for.

So, the perfect place to stop over? Very nearly. We both found the rooms got too hot during the night so windows got opened, and my room floor creaked with every step so a nocturnal trip to the loo was broadcast to everybody. That however will not stop either of us returning if working in the area - it really is a little gem, but be patient as staff are at a minimalistic and double up to cover all the tasks involved in running the place. But for a 2 star place it is a real gem.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melksham
Beechfield House
#3 of 4 in Corsham
The Red Lion
The Red Lion
#1 of 1 in Lacock

Been to Shaw Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!