“So disappointed!”
Review of The Milk Churn

The Milk Churn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Milk Churn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 58 Restaurants in Melksham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Milk Churn a much needed new venue in Melksham. First impressions decor good, atmosphere okay nothing special, lots of staff moving around but did not appear to be doing anything productive apart from constantly asking "is everything alright for you" or similar. Personally I dislike this intrusion when trying to enjoy some quality time with the person I am out with. Although in general the service was good. My partner and I duly chose our meals from a fairly limited menu,( Priced are a little high I thought) I ordered one of the American subs, having lived in both America and Canada I knew what to expect, lashings of beef topped with cheese with the added veg in small amounts to just enough to enhance the flavours. What a disappointment when it arrived, 2 very small thin slices of beef (even my partner commented on the miniscule amount of beef)sat on a large amount of onions, topped with green peppers.(As green peppers have quite a strong pungent flavour a few slices would be great not 11) Both the amount of onions and peppers overpowered the beef, had I had a blindfold on I would have thought I was having a cheese and veggie sub, also it arrived without the accompanying fries.(Not that they were needed bread and fries too many carbs!, a little more of the side salad would have been great forget the fries) Another reason for the visit was to explore the vegetarian options with the thought of taking my daughter at some future date.
Yet again same old options with the exception of veggie lasagne. I have to say here not the only eating establishment around with very limited and uninspiring veggie options. I being a non vegetarian have numerous choices from a menu, so why do we penilise vegetarians with only offering 4-5 options are our chefs so unimaginitive or creative? Therefore will not be returning with my daughter. However my partner and I may visit again some time in the future as with a first visit to a new venue one has to take into account some teething problems.

2  Thank yvonne m

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Seven of us went for lunch, the service was excellent and the food was very good and different-I don't think I have ever seen Homity pie on a menu before.The place was packed but the food came promptly. The only let down was that their much vaunted pies had not arrived and one of their sweets was bot available both of which had been ordered by our 10 year old grandson. This was disappointing but the Waitress was very apologetic and did her best to make amends-will certainly go there again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My riend and I visited the Milk Churn on our way back from a day out. The car park was almost empty at 6pm, the restaurant was almost deserted as you would expect with an empty car park and yet the six staff at the door weren't sure if they could seat us!
Almost every table was reserved! Except they weren't reserved for imminent arrivals, the reservations were marked on ceramic signs on each table with most being for in excess of 90 minutes later, the earliest that I could see was for 7:30pm, most were reserved for 8pm and some were for 9pm!
Fortunately we were seated after I pointed out a table for two without a sign.
We were left for 15 minutes before being asked if we would like drinks and during that time a party of 16 arrived and were advised that they couldn't be seated inside as all of the tables were reserved. Eventually they were offered a table outside by the road.
Drinks took ages to arrive, possibly because there was only one member of staff behind the bar although there were at least six waitresses wandering around aimlessly or chatting to one another as there were so few customers in the restaurant.
The food arrived quickly after ordering and was as you would expect from a chain restaurant, nice but nothing special.
During the whole time that we were there none of the reserved tables were occupied and other potential customers were turned away.
I would probably go back if I was passing by but the management need to 'up their game' if they are going to succeed. In what is essentially a fast food restaurant tables do not need to be blocked for hours. 60 to 90 minutes is sufficient in many upscale restaurants and so blocking tables for 2-3 hours is cutting potential turnover and preventing possible return business.

1  Thank Duke_family_x_6
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked a table for 4 online. Place wasn't too busy but it was a Monday night. Service was very good and food was good. We all had minipuds with coffee which was good when quite full from main course. Would definately go there again.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Visited the Milk Churn in late July. The building itself is very nice, but virtually everything else needs improvement. The staff are quite obviously fresh out of training, because it is like they are following a script. The menu is really quite limited and lacking in choice. I ordered a large fish and chips, and although the fish was quite large although overcooked, the chips were sadly lacking and buried under the fish. Selection of drinks was Ok, and service was good. My sister ordered the six mini desserts, and had one missing and two of another, although this was quickly rectified, when mentioned. One of the desserts is a so called "healthy option" , so why serve it with 5 other unhealthy options. The price although not extortionate was expensive for the quality of the food we received. I unestand that they have also had some staffing problems, which may account for some of the issues.