“Good pub food”
Review of The Milk Churn

The Milk Churn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Milk Churn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 55 Restaurants in Melksham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Booked a table for four people (good job because it was packed) on a Saturday night and were met by friendly front of house staff and quickly showed to our table. Three great eating areas in this pub, one brighter as you walk in, one neAr the bar and one at the back with subdued lighting and more atmosphere. We sat in the latter. Service was attentive but not intrusive, starter (shared meze board) was fresh and very nicely served, my main was bangers and mash which was actually one very large banger but nevertheless very nice. The food here us good pub food, nothing fancy was with nice touches (peas in mini colanders) and overall we gave a very enjoyable meal in nice surroundings. Very worthwhile visiting and we shall go again.

There are newer reviews for The Milk Churn

Reviewed 28 August 2014

My wife and I paid a visit exactly 2 weeks after it had opened for lunch.

The menu was typically "pubbish" but varied enough to choose something you like.

My wife's chicken, bacon and mushroom pie was tasty and the range of accompanying vegetables good.

My mixed fish dish proved more troublesome as the salmon fish cakes were not available. (£2 taken off for that). The remaining battered cod and scampi were enough to compensate however although the promised curry sauce turned out to be tartare and the bread and butter never appeared at all.

The place did not look brand new and had a nice atmosphere and the staff, although busy, were very friendly.

We'll put it all down to teething problems and the experience has not made us think we would never go there again.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Decided at the last minute to visit this new pub just outside of Melksham. The menu was quite limited (perhaps because it was a Bank Holiday Sunday evening?) I went for the vegetarian option and it was lovely. The service was excellent and the waitress very polite & friendly. It's a new building but you wouldn't know from the inside as it has been very tastefully decorated in a farmhouse style. Would like to see a little more on the menu but would come again.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Myself and my wife decided to give the Milk Churn a try as it is local and recently opened for a quick drink and early evening meal on a Thursday which we thought would be quiet. The place was reasonably busy but by no means packed. There were a number of reserved tables which weren't being used and didn't seem to get used while we there but we still had to sit at a side table by the bar which was too tall for the chairs provided. We were told the drinks were waitress service but waited and waited and eventually had to "flag down" one of the staff in order to get a drink. There appeared to be only one staff member serving behind the bar and seemed overwhelmed despite it not being that busy

The staff member we ordered from didn't know what draft beer was and only one of the draft beers was on. This is totally unacceptable in a pub which is a supposed to represent its brewer, in this case Hall and Woodhouse. The draft beer that was on was the worst I've tasted of theirs, which is a shame as I'm a big fan of a lot of their other offerings, and so I was very disappointed.
There were bottled beers on offer but these were being kept in the chiller ! These are ales which should be served cool not cold, in order to get the most out of their flavour.

The food when it eventually arrived was fine, but not exceptional. I had to request our bill twice and when we did receive it, it contained two items that were not ours so had to be redone. In the end in order to actually pay and get home before the crack of doom, I had to break their protocol and go to the bar to settle, as no member of staff seemed interested in coming to perform the collection at our table.

As I said the pub was busy but not crammed, there did seem to be a reasonable number of staff but they seemed unfocussed, and spent as much time wandering backwards and forwards carrying clean glasses as actually serving customers.

As previously stated I'm a fan of Hall and Woodhouse beers and was really looking forward to having one of their hostelries open within walking distance of where I live, which would have become a regular haunt. Therefore it's great sadness that I have also to say that it's unlikely that I'll be darkening its doors again any time soon.

1  Thank Phil C
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just made our first visit since it opened , we booked a table for 2 at 12.30, so glad we did.
Had the sharing bread platter to start which was very nice, both had the beef Sunday roast, which again was very nice, they did ask did we want gravy on the meal or in a seperate jug, we went for on the meal, when they say on the meal this could be deemed as miss representation, there was signs of a watery something under the food. So if you like gravy ask for it seperate.
We then both had the large summer trifle, which again was very nice.
3 course Sunday meal with one drink each , total £42, which I don't think is too bad.
We did notice the service slowing down as it got busier, getting harder to get anyone's attention, ordering dessert took a while.
They say on the website that the Sunday roast, either beef or pork is gone when it's gone, by 1.45, we heard them telling people the beef had gone.
Tips for Sunday, book a table and go early.
Very nice place, lovely decoration, huge car park, good outside seating, children's play area.