“OUR EXPERIENCE AT THE ANGEL”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Aweful, Aweful, Aweful. My husband & I attended a 70th party, in April this year. It was a re-union of ladies mostly who had grown up in Wootton Bassett, so very special. We all had a meal. Yes, the Angel has certainly changed from what we remembered when we used to go there years ago - very nicely done, but the meals were aweful. I had the curry (& was sick when I got home) & my husband had the dearest on the menu, the lamb. His meal was a joke & hardly enough to fill him up & his comments were 'its the worse meal he has ever had). I found out the next day that most of the people there were also disappointed with their meals!!! I waited til' the next day to complain (being as we were at a special di) & finally when I did get to the manager he told me to leave it with him & he would get back to me - WELL he never has!!! I could not recommend anyone to go there - not only is the food aweful & even though i repeatedly called, their customer relations is aweful too. I could not recommend the Angel to anyone who wants a meal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 437jennifer
There are newer reviews for The Angel Hotel

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Heard that the Angel has a great reputation, its now back in Arkell hands but seemed very good on all levels.

Loving looking establishment from the outside and a great blend of old and new inside.

Menu is varied in range, good presentation and quality matched with good service.

The prices are top end for lunch and seemed much the same for evening, but you cant fault anything so I would suggest it money well spent.

I will return and highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Really sorry but Monday lunchtime meals were poor. Chose from the specials board which I thought would mean they were fresh. Meals of Salmon & Cod were ordered. Cod was described as average and my salmon was poor. The fish was dry and the whole dish was overcooked. It was no better than a boil in a bag meal and seemed like the chef had forgotten about it. Really poor and not fresh at all. Staff need to check what they are serving and be satisfied it is worthy of being presented. It cost £12.00 and was really not worth it. I didn't make a fuss as I was in company and did not want to upset my dining partner. I thought we would give the Angel a try as it has recently changed hands but sadly not for the better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rome_at_Easter
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We dropped in on spec for a quick lunch. A superb BLT and very nice smoked salmon sandwich were served up in a very friendly fashion..quite the little home from home. Very relaxing and refreshing - a quiet oasis between buses!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Great lunch. Good range of sandwiches. Ales etc. Very pleasant beer garden. Inside - lovely too. Staff friendly. Whilst only passing through on way home from week in Chippenham, we checked out other hostelries, briefly and found this hotel to be the most pleasant. Some were not even open.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

I was looking for somewhere to go for a local dinner and a few drinks with my mum and haven't eaten out in RWB for years. I had heard the Angel had undergone a massive renovation and had turned around its previous reputation over the last few years. I was so impressed with the food, such a variety of local and homemade produce, nice touch when you know your plate is made up from the greengrocers next door and local butchers. And as for the prices, I had heard that the steaks were expensive, but hand cut to order and charged by the oz I thought it was perfectly reasonable. I'd definitely recommend the ham hock terrine and rib eye steak.

Also give the homemade ice creams a try. I couldn't fit them in but have heard they are amazing!

As if that wasn't good enough there was a live band on afterwards which were great, so we stayed until home time!

I will definitely be returning again!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Excellent service and made to feel very welcome by all the staff. The restaurant itself is beautiful inside and the menu is fantastic. We'll definitely go back.

Ask for a pot of the head chef's chilli sauce!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Jurys Inn Swindon
#1 of 25 in Swindon
The Schoolhouse Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!