“Christmas Dinner”

Marsh Farm Hotel
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Christmas Dinner”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Very disappointed -had a works Christmas dinner.
Prawn cocktail tasted as it looked-totally bland and obviously made with the cheapest ingredients.
Turkey had plastic wrapping still in it, gravy arrived 10 minutes after everyone had finished.
Christmas pudding was the worst ever tasted-cheese and biscuits comprised of 3 crackers with a very small piece of French something-no choice.
Asked for cream for coffee 3 times-never appeared.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank steven b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Newbury
Reviewed 12 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Very nice setting but i think this is a little over priced. I would go there again but you can get better value for money around the area. Try the Pear Tree down the road for something really special.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I quite literally found this place out of the blue when the hotel we were due to be staying in on Saturday fell through. We looked this place up on Booking.com, saw it was only a few miles from where we currently were and decided to take a gamble on it - it was the best idea we'd had all day!
The staff were lovely, the hotel was clean and comforting and the food was exceptionable! We stayed in a standard double room which was warm and cosy (although absolutely sweltering in the evening so don't worry about turning the heating on!).
Dinner was incredibly good value - 3 courses each and a bottle of wine for £65! - and the quality of the food was fantastic!
Special mention should go to our waiter, Andrew, who was very friendly, charming and accomodating.

If you need a quiet getaway for the evening then this is the place to go!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the entrance to the block, less noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 20 November 2013

As usual reading other reviews prior to my trip was a bit unsure.On arrival all was put to bed on that matter we was early but not a problem our room was not ready but we was given a free upgrade to another but if we was not happy we could wait.Went to the room which was just yards away from reception opened the door and it was just perfect.We did not eat at the resturant due to lack of money but did have a drink at the bar and the barman that night was super kept us amused whilst being very proffesional.Reception was very helpful on any info we asked nothing to much trouble.,location to town is just right nice walk
Breakfast next day was superb maybe for thoese that do not have cooked one a little more to offer on others foods may help.Again service was polite and friendly and prompt all done with a smile as i know most people are not at there best in the morning
I must say the extra half hour on sunday is a nice touch to end a lovely break
So a big thanks to eveyone there for a super stay.Even after leaving i had a call to say i left charger behind can we post it to you excellent service.i am still dealing with reception now on another matter and there help is most welcome

Room Tip: Relax and enjoy it
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Surrey, UK.
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here on a Saturday night after a birthday party held on site. I had a perfectly comfortable room with a great view. I was more than happy with the toiletries and hot drinks facilities provided, considering that I had paid just £48:00 for bed and breakfast. The staff were lovely, and very helpful. I would definitely stay here again. My only cribs were about the selection of beers, mainly because they were supplied by AB Inbev, who manage to supply the most awful draught alcoholic drinks available. Mind you, that is down to personal perception, of course. Also, my colleague and I sat in the rear dining area for an eternity waiting for someone to take our order, not realising that you had to help yourself, as the food was laid out in the front dining area and we couldn’t see it. I only found out from Trip Advisor that it was possible to order things like fried eggs, as no-one told us. This seems to be a recurring theme, and identifies a training issue for the greeter. As stated earlier, the sausages were delicious! All things considered though, it was a good experience and I will return.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

On arrival at Marsh Farm Hotel, we were met by a very polite and friendly receptionist. Our room was lovely, but we did want to be further away from the road. Not that it was a huge deal, but nice if they could do it. It was absolutely no trouble and we were given an equally nice room.

The next step was to visit the bar. A really jovial barman served us and we then sat down. Now I know that Trip Advisor is meant to be read before arrival at an hotel, but while having my drink I thought I would take a look. Well, I should have packed our bags immediately and left, according to some reviewers, but with our experience to that point, I did wonder if we were in the right hotel?

Then came dinner. It was absolutely delicious. And once again, the waiting staff were fantastic.

Breakfast on the Saturday was from a menu, and we had the eggs florentine. Delicious.

We were booked in for three nights, had dinner there each night and breakfast. The Sunday breakfast was a buffet, quite understandable as the restaurant was heaving with guests, so much so that they opened up the restaurant extension to cope. Once again though, service was impeccable and the breakfast was lovely, especially the sausages!

A lovely hotel, super staff, delicious food. And how they do it for the price I just don't know.

I don't normally write on Trip Advisor, simply because I wouldn't go to any hotel if I actually believed a lot of what I read. But I felt that I had to write my experience to perhaps balance some of the negative views expressed here.

We take regular trips to this area, and would definitely stay again

Room Tip: There are lots of rooms, but there is a road about 50 metres from the hotel. If you're not used...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We booked a weekend away the hotel sounded lovely we booked a superior double and on arrival was upgraded to executive room. Once again as in other reviews it was nothing like the pictures four poster bed although a very comfy very large bed.our original room looked better.The bath was filthy there was thick dust on surfaces and on the lamps . The tea and coffee facilities were very poor we only had 4 milks and 4 sugars for two we had a couple of extras we acquired to find the cleaner had removed to leave us the minimum again the next day.we ordered a paper for both mornings but we're told the system had failed so no paper Saturday morning.breakfast was a disaster we asked for two eggs and toast when we ordered our tea.Our breakfast came no toast and one egg to be told chef forgot to cook it it went from bad to worse the egg eventually came but 20 minutes on no toast our breakfast was cold as we waited to have toast with our breakfast our patients had ran out by this time so I went and complained in reception nothing was done about it. They were understaffed and one girl was doing everything .So we decided not to eat in the resteraunt that evening also that had bad reviews too.Sunday breakfast had 5 staff members .Although breakfast was already cooked and in hot serving trays but we were not told to help ourselves.One couple realized after half an hour of waiting that it was self service a gentleman requested eggs Florentine which were on menu the Saturday morning the waitress replied yes sir that shouldn't be a problem to then be told the chef said no.We dare'nt ask for fried eggs so had the scrambled that were the only egg available.All in all not a good stay apart from the big comfy bed so had good night's sleep so that was a bonus. I still had to pay the bill in full despite complaining we won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Don't be u upgraded keep original booking.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

De Vere Alexandra House
De Vere Alexandra House
#1 of 1 in Wroughton
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon

Been to Marsh Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!