“A Gem Of A Find!”
Review of Marsh Farm Hotel

Marsh Farm Hotel
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Marsh Farm Hotel, ideally located just off the M4 in the heart of the Wiltshire countryside was such a find. We booked into one of their culinary evenings last week and headed off from Cardiff, to be met with a warm smile and welcome. Our first impression is that the Hotel is made up of a number of character buildings all linked together amongst beautiful courtyard and gardens. The porch area of the hotel was particularly quaint! We were guided to our room through a relaxing and cosy area - where you could curl up in soft large leather armchairs and sofas - just perfect. Our room was a real delight - the finishing's all, in my view, rated up with top notch London hotels. Extremely high spec with all the amenities you would require. Once refreshed a visit to the bar and then the start of our culinary journey. And what a delight - not only is the hotel a gem - the Chef's skills were amazingly good - he wouldn't feel out of place in any London high end kitchen!! we are planning our next trip !!

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappoint - as the next culinary night will be a sell out now word has got arou...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Marsh Farm Hotel

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Having stayed before and it wasnt great, I thought I'd try again.
The first time the room was ok, but the shower was so poor you couldnt get wet!
So the second night I changed rooms.
The shower was great but the room smelt as if something had died in it and the airfreshner spayed when they cleaned the room didnt help. But the shower was great.
This time , in the main building room2 looked good. But. The shower sprays everywhere and you can hear the staff talking beneath you in reception....
Spend some money and make it better .
!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We found hotel after searching hotels in Wiltshire. We were directed to a special offer of 3 nights for price of 2 (SuperBreaks) but also checked out the hotel's own web-site & various reviews (Trip Adviser, naturally). Most of the reviews were positive so we opted for a Superior room. (The choices were: small double, double, superior & executive) The photos of the superior room were such that we felt this was going to be a nice, spacious & well appointed room - it wasn't. The first thing we noted was a lot of the rooms are separate from main building (not obvious from the web-site), non too convenient in the rain! On entering the room (no. 42) we noted that the side of the(standard 4'6") bed was quite badly stained. It did not have the attractive bedspread/decorative cushions etc shown in photos. There was a desk & chair but no 'easy' chair as seen in photos, also not case rest in wardrobe, as noted in the room details booklet, although whilst looking for this we came across what appeared to be used towels just slung in the cupboard of the desk!! There were also only 6 hangers, for 2 people for a 3 night stay, not very adequate really We questioned whether it was a superior room & were told "yes". In all fairness the receptionist gave us keys to 2 other 'superior' rooms, 43 & 45 but they were no better. 43 does have a door out the field outside and did have an easy chair (which we eventually took into our room) but was actually smaller than 42, with the wardrobe quite hard to access & again a 4'6" bed. Room 45, upstairs was an odd shape. This did appear to have a 5' bed but the gap between the end corner of the bed & the bathroom was very narrow & awkward. These other 2 rooms only had 4 hangers a piece! My husband told the receptionist that, on balance, we would stay in room 42 as neither of the others were any better. She told him that an executive room would be available the next day (Sunday)& they wold arrange to move us - they didn't say a word on the Sunday & by the time we mentioned it on Sunday eve we honestly couldn't be bothered to move all our stuff.
The food in the restaurant was generally of a good standard, although the menu fairly short (Sunday lunch was very nice). However, on the Monday morning we especially asked to look at the 'Simply Wine & Dine' menu for the evening. We liked the menu so decided to dine in that night before going to the cinema. We went out in the day & came back for dinner, only to find out after we were seated that the menu had been substituted for a different one, not nearly as much to our liking. Due to time constraints we decided to stay but asked if the type of potatoes could be changed. This was agreed, only for one plate to come with the wrong item. It had to be sent back, wasting more time. This particular meal offer (which is served every lunchtime & evening) is supposed to end with tea or coffee & petit fours. I ordered coffee but this came without petit-fours & we didn't argue about it as we really had to leave to be on time for our evening out, but they should have been served automatically, again quite poor we felt. Lastly there was mould in the bathroom, he bath panel was fixed with some kind of adhesive tape & the floor by the bath had obviously often been wet & was so 'spongy' it was clearly in danger of collapsing at any time. We left feed-back regarding all this with the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for an executive room, the superior ones are no such thing from our experience
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at The Marsh Farm Hotel for business reasons. Upon checking in on the Monday I was given a room that hadn't been cleaned and had been vacated the previous Friday. When I told the receptionist I was allocated another room but they did not seem the least bit bothered by the fact the room hadn't been made up. Each evening there was a long wait for food and the service was extremely poor, with my order not being taken correctly by the staff on one occasion. On one night was told I couldn't book a table for 1930 as it was booked, so booked for 1915. the restaurant was still mostly empty at 1930. On my return from work on one day, housekeeping had left my room unlocked. I will definitely be telling the booking service that my company use not to book this hotel again. On a positive note the food was good and staff friendly enough, and although the decor very dated, apart from my initial experience the room was clean. It may be a case of my bad luck.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed at the Marsh Farm whilst conducting interviews over a two day period. I have stayed in the local large chain hotels without realising this little gem tucked away near a roundabout in wootton bassett.

I was upgraded to a lovely room (12) and I slept really well, rooms are clean and good value. the staff on reception and in the restaurant were lovely and very helpful. I will be staying in the Marsh Farm hotel whenever I am on business and I may even stay for pleasure.

The only downside for me was the food during room service, I personally didn't feel it was good value with small portion sizes but tasted good none the less

Definitely recommend this hotel for the price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Had a lovely stay, very friendly and polite staff. room was clean and adequate. Ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was fantastic value for money. Lovely breakfast with plenty of options. would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Lovely hotel, the bedroom was modern and comfy - sadly the bathroom let it down, realised why the paint was coming off the ceiling when I turned on the shower..... It wasn't firmly fixed and went haywire spraying myself and the room until I recaptured it! A little maintenance could easily rectify this
The restaurant was excellent - great dinner and breakfast
It was exceptional value and a real bargain for an overnight stay which made up for any short comings in the bathroom

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
The Schoolhouse Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16
Lydiard House Conference Centre
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon

Been to Marsh Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!