“Great staff, great breakfast, tired hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Marsh Farm Hotel

Marsh Farm Hotel
Seaford, United Kingdom
“Great staff, great breakfast, tired hotel”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is tired: the shower was over the bath and powered by the two taps instead of a single control, bathroom decor similarly average and the bedroom and hall carpets were stained. The adverse comments end there. The breakfast is good with generally quality ingredients (could do with freshly squeezed orange juice rather than concentrate), the bed was very comfortable and the staff were professional, friendly and helpful. The price of a room is competitive, compared to surrounding hotels and you don't pay for parking, but we paid extra for a large double, ended up in the new extension and didn't think the extra was worth the money.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade into the Clarendon Suite building.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I decided to go for dinner with a friend at Marsh Farm's Glasshouse Restaurant and I was not disappointed. I had a lovely a 3 course meal and an amuse bouche, as a little extra upon arrival at the table, which was a great touch and very tasty. My starter was superb; a Stilton and mushroom pasta with strong and beautiful flavours, me and my friend both opted for steak cooked to our liking, presented perfectly on a board and finally the prettiest dessert I've seen. No complaints!! lovely food, lovely setting and great service. Will return soon.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My husband and I got married here this weekend and can honestly say that we are extremely grateful to everyone in this hotel.

The hotel is in a beautiful location with a great function room. I would highly recommend the bridal suite (room 38), which is beautiful with a four poster bed, walk in shower and huge bath. The food was delicious and all staff were friendly, professional and made our day so special.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Staff were friendly and helpful but the double room was very small - perhaps okay for one night but not the two we were staying. Luckily we were out most of the time as I wouldn't have liked to spend much time in the room as cramped. The pillows were also very flat and need replacing. The room we had was in a annexe and the stair carpet needed cleaning. More the feel of a motel rather than a hotel - probably better in staying in the main building perhaps?

First morning cooked breakfast was order at the table and then served and the sausages were over cooked. Second day the cooked breakfast was buffet and again the sausages were wrinkly and overcooked so no taste. The leatherette chairs in the dining room need replacing as worn.

With a little work this could be a nice place to stay as the staff were welcoming.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
swindon
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We have been here twice for afternoon tea both on the off chance. Both times we were greeted & treated very nicely seeing as both times were after funerals! The afternoon tea's have been brilliant & although quite pricey, the quality of the food & cakes is of high standard. It is the best for afternoon tea in my opinion in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Colchester
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Our business uses this hotel for quarterly meetings for two geographically dispersed units. On this occasion circumstances dictated that I required accommodation on the night before the meeting. The hotel is a country establishment close to the M4 and is not part of a chain. My superior room was spacious for the UK with a desk that I am now using.

The reason I am writing this review though is the food. There is a an excellent table d'hote which I think we normally have to split our meeting for lunch so I was expecting reasonable fare. Looking to the Al a Carte on the evening before our meeting,I had a trout dish to start which was very tasty.

The beef dish exhibited how flank and shin can be used to create a culinary experience long remembered.The last time I was so surprised by simply good food was in San Franscisco in 1997 when I had a wild salmon steak with posh mash and green beans.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed on business - I travel alot and sometimes its just nice to try somewhere other than the main stream convenience hotels. I would never go back here. I checked in at 10pm and was told there was no food avaiable and that the chef's couldnt even make a sandwich for me as they had turned everything off - I have no idea what needs to be 'on' in order to make a sandwich! I got back in the car to go and locate a shop to buy something to eat and the back door to the kitchen was open, 2 chef's and a kitchen porter all stood around talking - not a good start. I found the local garage and there was an M&S shop so I bought a sandwich and went back. The room was very basic but clean. I was however, unable to sleep as the room had a window in the wall through to the passageway. The blind was inadequate so the light from outside streamed through. I eventually got some sleep but this was not good at all. In the morning I went for a shower - this was a disaster. The shower was an over the bath effort from the dark ages, it was serviced from mixer taps on the bath. The shower curtain was too long and was all bunched up in the bath so water was trapped on it making the whole matter of a simple shower a health and safety hazzard. I went down for breakfast at 8.55am to see it all being cleared away.... i went to reception to be told that it ended at 9am but they could make me some toast. I was due to stay 2 nights but checked out after 1. It makes faulty towers look like the Ritz

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

De Vere Alexandra House
De Vere Alexandra House
#1 of 1 in Wroughton
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon

Been to Marsh Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!