All reviewssteakgooseberry roomboth morningsducksandwichfeel very welcomelovely pubfantastic foodwonderful staystayed here for one nightevening mealwarm welcomemain roadcooked breakfastcooked to perfectionfull englishsaturday night
Reviewed 10 September 2017

When we arrived we were greeted warmly by a young man with dark hair who was professional and friendly. Our room was 'gooseberry' . We are unable to have a week holiday as have an ill elderly parent and look after grandchildren, so we try and have two or three nights stays away every month .in July we stayed at a great pub the pheasant outside Bridgnortth and August at the bell in Ticehurst which was very quirky and excellent. I also stayed at holiday inn express at the Albert Dock with friends in August which was fantastic value and lovely.
We were looking forward to this stay as a few nights before we realised it had been a winner on the programme Four I A Bed and watched the clip...realising we had seen the programme.
We started to read after making tea by filling kettleusing a small glass as kettle cannot go under sink. Then an awful low frequency resonance started which we tried to drown out by putting on television but was no use.
When we came into the pub for dinner we were again greeted by the same young lad who once again was friendly and professional. The choices were fine on a la carter and specials. We shared the baked Camembert and had hake with ouzo pasta, a side of chips and chilli broccoli slalks. All were lovely and young waitress very pleasant.
There was no Pinot Grigio so had Sauvignon.
We had read that breakfasts was not served until 9 o clock, we needed to leave at 8.45 as we were going to Ludlow food festival. Once again the young man tried to help, he brought us two plastic boxes of fruit salad, some cheese slices and two Danish pastries in a plastic food bag. No plates, yoghurts, cereals. Ok never mind we will cope we thought.
However the next morning we found the pastries stale and when I tried to take back found the restaurant and pub part all locked up, so nowhere to leave the key. When we came back late afternoon, the room hadn't been services and the awful resonance was even louder than previous night as kitchen was probably busier being a Saturday. I had had enough and just couldn't wait to go . However I didn't want to spoil our weekend as my husband had been looking forward to it, so took the uneaten so called continental breakfast to the reception/ bar area to see the manager. I was greeted by a lovely young part time barmaid/ waitress, who looked shocked at what I showed, but there was no manager on for another hour, who she said would see us when he came. I felt sorry for her as felt the should have been a more senior employer there .
It was then I decided I just didn't want or stay and that we were the 'gooseberries' in the gooseberry room.
My husband went to pay for our evening meal, which had been lonely and I packed quickly as the resonance was awful in the room and I had just had enough there.
Mark the manager said he was sorry madam twice and didn't charge us.
It is such a shame that this place has let itself down so badly, largely by not having staff on before 9 o clock and no senior staff to deal with issues e.g. my bedside light was useless as the lead would not reach as you sockets in the room and when told he had no idea...normally I wouldnt have mentioned it, as sounds petty .
My husband has taken a photo of the breakfast and I want him to review and add it, to warn other people not to stay.

Stayed: September 2017
2  Thank Debbie T
Reviewed 29 August 2017

At first glance it seems really good then you notice the short falls.

Our room was a good size. Nice big bed but far to many covers on it for summer. we had to take them off, not a problem though. You could not fill the kettle up as you cant get the kettle in the sink so you fill it with the small glass for water. no problem but a pain.
Bathroom was large. However, There was nowhere near the shower to put anything on like razor, soap, shampoo, body wash, If you have a mobility problem you would have a real problem in here. The bathroom sink looks great. but, again its right in front of you sitting on the toilet which is strange when it could of gone in other places in the large bare room. You do get complimentary body wash and shampoo, yet both bottle finger pumps are smashed and do not work. no problem just unscrew the tops and pour it into your hands and put them on the floor with everything else as there is no shelves.
You get 4 bath towels which is great for 2 of you. not sure why only one hand towel though? no bathroom floor mat but the bedroom carpet works ok
The restaurant stops serving at 21.30. However, you cant get any room service after this time for even a sandwich. So you have to go somewhere else to eat and there are other places around that will get you what you want. but, again it can be a pain.
Breakfast for 2 costs you £20 which is in with the £89 a night fee. nice breakfast menu showing a choice of 8 breakfasts. However when we asked for one of them other than the usual Full breakfast you are told I do not think we have that and the cook doesn`t even bother to check first lol
we did not want a full breakfast so we asked for the poached egg on toast with bacon. with a pot of tea and marmalade. what arrived was one stale toasted doorstop slab of uncut bread which was dried out. The back bacon and over done and poached eggs on top were also over cooked and a pot of tea with some marmalade. but, no toast for it. and no more toast came out as we had already heard the cook say to a member of staff Ill put the marmalade on the breakfast plate because he believed we was using the marmalade like ketchup. The crusts on the slab of bread were so big, we could not get them in our mouths let alone bite on it as it was so hard. So we cut them off to give us a chance to eat them. The back bacon was dried out burnt and dreadful with an awful taste that my partner could not eat. There was all different size jars of cereals and fruits none of which were labelled so you had no idea what was in most of them except the obvious ones. My partner can not eat nuts as they send her into shock and death. the cook could not tell her if they had nuts in or not and what type of nuts was in the cereals. So she did not eat any. At no time did the cook and owner ask us if everything was ok. They just was not interested in doing anything to keep paying customers happy.
We agreed this was the worst breakfast in our history of staying in the UK and abroad. even the tea was not up to scratch. When checking out an hour later his polish partner did not even ask if our stay had been ok or not. She just asked the cook if we had anything else that needed adding to the bill. we paid by card and left never to return.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch in the newly refurbished outside area. The kids enjoyed the new playhouse and sandpit. Food was very good as always. Lunch and kids meal very good. I can recommend in particular the warm goats cheese sandwich also the smoked salmon salad.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Marianne S
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Wow,,,, this is for the chef... well done .... had stater of duck breast, the main was the rump with wilted spinach... chap had red mullet then swordfish.... both very tasty and cooked to perfection. Served beautifully and very reasonably priced....
If your local, visiting or driving through,, stop and sample the deliciousness...

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I booked this hotel for our first night as a married couple. We stayed there with few of our friends following our wedding that took place nearby. The place itself is beautiful with so much character and I love the fact they are animal friendly which means dogs are allowed in. I personally haven't got a dog but as a massive animal lover to me this was a bonus! Staff was very friendly and food was delicious however you have to wait for it for a very loooooong time. I ended up stuffing my face with some cornflakes I found nearby as I was starving whilst waiting for my food to arrive. The few negatives I would like to point are: 1. They haven't got spare keys to their rooms which I find very odd. I became separated from my husband at the end of the night and I ended up waiting for him in somebody else's room until he arrived. Had the staff had the spare key I would have been showered and fast asleep by the time he got to the room. 2. The doors do not lock from the inside! Absolutely crazy! Thankfully practically the entire place was occupied by us and my friends but if that wasn't the case I would definitely not felt safe. One of my friends ended up propping the doors with a chair from the inside. In this day and age and with £100 price tag a night this is not something you should be forced to do!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends