“Didn't they do well!!”

The Hop Pole Inn
Ranked #2 of 50 Restaurants in Bewdley
Price range: US$16 - US$23
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family run Restaurant and Bar situated in the Georgian town of Bewdley. Menu ranges from Pub Food Favourites to Gastro pub so something for everyone. Real Ales and Chilled lagers with a interesting Wine List. Nice relaxed atmosphere with friendly attentive staff.
kidderminster
“Didn't they do well!!”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I don't go back to many restaurants regularly but I must admit if anyone suggests we visit The Hop Pole I will never try to change their mind.
This time was no exception. My wife and I were invited to the restaurant by our daughter and her husband, unfortunately my wife was unwell so I decided to accompany them on my own. It was one of their evenings with live music, a Wednesday. The evening was advertised as Country and Western, music provided by Grey Wolf and Deborah Rose. Grey Wolf mostly grizzled older blokes on fiddle, banjo, and guitar, Deborah Rose a dainty young woman with a clear bell like voice well suited to the genre. Most enjoyable.
As for the food, I had poached pear with blue Shropshire cheese and a salad for starter and medallions of pork, both of which were excellent. My daughter had tomato soup and the pork and my son in law a shank of lamb. Once into that he didn't come up for air he was enjoying it so much.
The decor of the restaurant continues to improve, it was never sparse but somehow it seems to get more homely.
Some of what a restaurant does is in the small things and here the heavy pepper mill that ground out lots of large pepper granules was appreciated. At the end of the meal I tried them out with a request for a tooth pick. Now, in many cases this request will be solved by the offer of a cocktail stick but not here, oh no, the waiter brought me several proper picks in paper pockets. Many moons ago these used to be made from the quills of large feathers but nowadays they are plastic.
So yes, once again Daren and his team did an excellent job. Well, I say 'Daren' advisedly, I'm beginning to think he's left the country, the last time I went he was sleeping off tiring session of Six Nations Rugby on the settee, this time he was in the Isle of Wight with Louise and the family. So there you go he can delegate well too!!

• Visited May 2013

REDDITCH WORCERSHIRE ENGLAND
“Lovely atmosphere & food”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have been here twice and really enjoyed it.
The service was very good and the menu enough to choose from but not so much you can't decide.
Will be returning soon.

Visited May 2013
Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
“Repeated, pleasing visits to an excellent little dining pub.”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I live five or six miles from the Hop Pole, in the one of the three towns of the Wyre Forest, where the countryside is lovely but, sadly, good places to eat aren't exactly ten a penny.

The Hop Pole is a good step up from a dining pub and its three chefs (one of them the co-owner) are all excellent. Service is cheerful, friendly and efficient; The ales on tap and wine list are both pretty good and certainly not overpriced The menu is reassuringly varied and tempting without being so overloaded as to affect quality. So far as I can judge, all dishes are prepared on site, using good, locally sourced produce. There is enough variety to suit most tastes (including tasty, imaginative vegetarian options) and prices are extremely reasonable, with very competitively priced set menus (and additional discounts for pensioners, for two or three courses!). Alongside the set menus there is an attractive range of à la carte dishes.

The menu changes quite regularly - something that otherwise similarly appealing eateries might copy to their advantage.

Without going into more detail about the menu, one feature makes the Hop Pole and its chefs stand out a mile in my eyes. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes - a problem that drastically affects eating habits! The Hop Pole is the ONLY place where I have been able to ask, without prior warning, for a sugar-free dessert and then be presented with (without fuss and with, so far, a completely different dessert on every occasion) - an absolutely mouth-watering dish of the highest quality - so good that it has made my co-diners envious. How common is that?

There are entertainment evenings, with local talent, I think on one evening a week, and as the Hop Pole is not an enormous venue, this can be a little noisy for a quiet evening out; but for many people this is an added attraction.

Finally, always the best indicator of quality and value, it is always a good idea to book a table as the restaurant area is always busy; even at lunchtimes, on any day of the week.

Incidentally, my wife would classify me as an unusually fussy, picky customer!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Eric H
London, UK
“Good quality pub grub”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

A number of friends had mentioned the Hop Pole to us so we had quite a high expectation. Perhaps we hit it on a off night - the room was chilly and the food was good pub fare - a notch below where we anticipated. Service was prompt and helpful.

Visited March 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Our new favourite place!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

So here's to my first review or should I say the first time in a long time Ive been somewhere and felt compelled to write a review? After being told by friends we must try The Hop Pole we decided it had to be done and booked ourselves in for a Friday night. It was a bit of a drive for us but i can say with certainty that it was more than worth it.

Often when places are highly recommended you think they can't really be that good can they? Well it was, from the cosy surroundings, the service and of course the food which was presented so wonderfully you felt bad for demolishing it!

We shared the baked camembert to start, then I had the Duck and finished with Sticky Toffee. There really was nothing left on the plates when they were taken away because we enjoyed every mouthful! The waitresses were always there to help and get more drinks and with a smile, we were also told about live music on a Wednesday and took a leaflet about this and are trying to organise a meet-up with friends on one of these nights as we speak.

As a group me and my friends have been looking for that place where keeps the cosy pub feel but with decent well cooked food and you know what.. I think we've found it!

• Visited April 2013