“I wouldn't recommend it unless, like us, you had no choice!”
Review of Black Boy Hotel and Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Black Boy Hotel and Restaurant
Price range: US$4 - US$25
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Description: The Blackboy Hotel has recently been taken over and is currently undergoing refurbishment of all areas. The Hotel is still open but over the next 12 months we intend to reovate the entire property and bring this lovely building back to it's glory days. Simon
London, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't recommend it unless, like us, you had no choice!”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My friend and I stayed in The Black Boy this weekend on Friday and Saturday night, as we were in the area for a wedding.

The good:

We needed a hotel for a wedding and this was the only one available!
They were showing the rugby in the barn and brought our breakfast out to us so we could watch and eat.
The were very accommodating with when we arrived (around 10pm) and left (12.30pm)
There were tea making facilities.

The bad:
I booked a twin room and we were given a room with four single beds in. Had we known this in advance, we could have asked friends to share with us rather than staying miles away.
I was told the room was ensuite, however it was a private bathroom down the hall. This involved walking past other rooms to use the facilities.
The hotel is very old and on arrival there were several large spiders in the room that my friend had to remove.
The bed sheets were starchy and itchy, like you'd find on a hospital bed.
The room and bathroom were very shabby.
The shower (no bath) cubicle was small and the water only went to warm, not hot. It also had no power which meant for my long hair, it took a long time to rinse shampoo out.

Overall, would I go back or recommend this to another person, no, unless I was again given it as an only option. For £65 per night for the room, breakfast was included (although it was of a fairly low standard) but the staff were friendly and accomodating.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank WelshAnna1984

Kidderminster
“A truly hidden gem, that could do with some work”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Although our family did not stay at the black boy we have visited a few times in the past two months for different reasons. If we are looking for a top-class meal it is the best in the UK, when the younger, shorter chef is working, the food is full of flavour and no matter what dish you ask for it is perfect and exquisite, however when the taller chef is cooking we find that it is something you'd expect from a 'marston's' or 'wetherspoon's' as it has no spice, flavour or pizazz, that makes the food satisfactory but not enjoyable. It is a very welcoming pub, the bar manager, Jo is always helpful and friendly, and consistently shows us absolutely perfect decorum and seems to be working or cleaning around the pub at all times which can only enhance our visits. I, personally, am a very big fan of the Golden Glow ale that was on a few weeks ago and would like to see it return! Also, it looked worrying to me that the tall, long-haired boy who sometimes works behind the bar seems to help himself to drinks when not working, it looks awful to customers. Great ideas involved in the Royal Wedding weekend, extremely fun, with pimms and lemonade for the adults and face painting for the kids, it was like a breath of fresh air!! I'd like to see some more cocktails on the menu, maybe pimms and lemonade, rum and pineapple, amaretto and cranberry, gin and orange juice? The only other flaw is that it's not got such a 'modern look' and looks like it was decorated 50 years ago and kept the same (with the carpet almost wasting away in some places!), maybe a little renovation is needed, and seems that there is always your boring 'jazz nights' and live bands that are very old style, maybe an open mic night or something, these ideas would only draw in a younger 'clientele', rather than the 'same old faces'. However these are only suggestions, there's just so much potential in this pub, with the perfect food that is guaranteed when the younger chef is on and the warm welcoming that you will consistently receive, one of the best restaurants in the area, I'd just hate for it to go to waste as a 'hidden gem'!!

• Visited March 2011
5 Thank wdt17
Worcester, United Kingdom
“My daughters wedding”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We had my daughters wedding in the barn on Saturday. The room looked amazing with all the flowers and drapes, very magical. The food was really good, the staff very helpful and all in all just an amazing day. We stayed the night and took over all the rooms and they even catered for a late breakfast for us (thank you!) which was just what we needed and again really good.Thank you all so much for making my daughters wedding perfect. The new owners are really changing this place an it's well worth a try for a party or just a meal. fab, fab fab!!!

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank Marissa62
westmidlands
“hopeless won't be goin there again”
Reviewed 26 April 2011

went on a sunday saw they did roast meals and apparently on the board outside it said "best in town" went in placed order for two turkey roasts and drinks after waiting approx 40 mins i asked woman behind bar whats happening with our dinners after she had finnished puttin her make up on she replied you orderd turkey weve got none sorry do you want a refund. apparently seven people came in about 15 minutes after us they were served turkey roasts thanks for keeping us waiting and not even bothering to tell us. stick to puttin your make up on and not worrying about your guests...

Visited April 2011
3 Thank soul121
TangoBewdley, Owner at Black Boy Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
I am sorry to read your experiences at The Blackboy Hotel, we have taken over the property from December 2013 and have started a complete refurbishment of the Building inside and out, we would love to offer you a 10% discount off your next stay and hope your experience will be greatly improved.

Simon
01299 488736
Bewdley, United Kingdom
“Ignore the reviews from 2009:OUT OF DATE!!!!”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Just had exceptional evening meal in the restaurant! we are locals so have not used the hotel as such, but have had breakfast a couple of weeks ago. If the food is anything to fo by the hotel should be fine! Superb friendly service. We are on "faddy" diets and our food needs were totally met! Planning on weekly returns!
well done to the new management team!