“Just popped in and it was lovely!”

Wharton Park Golf & Country Club
Ranked #7 of 13 Bewdley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Just popped in as I was passing and enjoyed a light lunch in the bar - excellent value meal from the chef specials board and it tasted great too! Nice view over the course even in this weather, will certainly come back again and eat in the bar but will try the restaurant next, Sunday lunch menu looks very good value and the décor in the restaurant is very stylish

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Stacie U, Owner at Wharton Park Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your experience at Wharton Park. We very much look forward to welcoming you here again soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We visited this place recently on a Friday evening for a meal. The first thing that struck us was the lack of other diners, just four others who looked lost in the large room. The tables and furnishing were beautiful with obviously a lot of thought having gone into it. There was a good choice on the al le carte menu and the service was brilliant but with only four other diners only to be expected. I could not fault the food, presentation or service , all was excellent but it was a little on the pricey side we thought. What I did feel was the lack of atmosphere, all those empty tables made us feel a little uncomfortable like being on the Marie Celeste as I can remember a time in recent years before the place changed hands when this place buzzed with customers and was always fully booked indeed you often had to wait a couple of weeks to get in. This place seems to rely on its functions and theme nights for its trade which I have heard are good, but it also needs to have these empty tables booked with people who just want to dine out somewhere nice. I heard from someone else who came during the run up to Christmas that they were the only customers there so you can not say it is the lull after Christmas. How do you get customers to come more often? Well I would offer a three course menu at a set lower price, like the Sunday lunch menu, better to do this than run an empty restaurant for the rest of the week so making the few diners you do get feel uncomfortable. A lot of money has obviously gone on the refurbishment of this place but it needs to get the direction it is going sorted, either it is going to be a speciality place relying on its functions and theme nights or aim to attract people who want to dine out at a competitive price. How long can it run it's other evenings with hardly any customers as surely this is just not paying. Such potential here but need to fill those tables every evening as empty tables do not make a profit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Paid £130 for me and my partner to have dinner here. Nice decorations but overall extremely poor meal.

Staff were very rude and serious, only smile I spotted was on a young girl with a blond bun.
No Christmas music, sat in silence for Christmas dinner.
Food was extremely poor, I had my starter almost quarter of an hour before my partners arrived! Nobody asked how our meal was. No serving of drinks, had to keep getting up and going to the bar. I had the vegetarian option, a plate of hard vegetables and burnt roast potatoes with no gravy. When I asked for gravy they returned with cream sauce and said " that's all we have" when I asked what the soup was the waitress said " I don't know "

When complaining to the manager we were made to feel fussy and incorrect. The manager was argumentative towards us and told us "everybody else enjoyed it and have even booked for next year" - insulting my intelligence some what considering my partner has worked in the hotel industry for years, and they certainly wouldn't be taking Christmas bookings a year in advance. If a customer complains you should apologise and correct it, not stand arguing back.

Did not feel welcome at all, waste of money. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Aimee-morris
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Lunch at Wharton Park Golf Club
Lovely surroundings outside and in. Staff very friendly and professional.
Good food and good experience all round. Would recommend.
Was so impressed we have now booked for Burns night on Thursday January 30th.

Room Tip: Only had lunch. So rooms not applicable, but did view them and thought they looked very good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 18jennyh
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

The positives
Very clean, tidy and well looked after.
Service was excellent. Food came out quickly and was hot. Cleared away efficiently. Didn't have too cue for long at the Bar.
The negatives
The turkey was reformed in a breaded escallop and was discussing no one who had it enjoyed it. I left mine. A couple in our party had pork shoulder, this would be a much better option if you are making you menu choise. I had the chocolate orange torte to finish, the flavour was nice but the consistency was strange. You could tell they had done the food as cheap as possible which is a shame as the chef could clearly cook well.
The bace in the disco was way too loud and out of balance spoiling all the songs and making some if them hard to recognise.
I would have paid a bit more to get better quality food, it's a shame as they have a good team of staff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank iklejen
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Attended an event here, the buffet was very average and a bizarre combination of items- felt like we were eating leftovers! Staff not very friendly or accommodating - felt like you bothering them when you asked for something! Not impressed and would not come back.

• Stayed: December 2013
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

We got married at Wharton Park on 24 October 2013. If you are looking for a stress free wedding, a fantastic venue with efficient conscientious staff and first class food then this is the place you need. We can't thank them enough for everything they did. Highly recommend it.
Mr & Mrs Hodgkins

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bewdley
Mercure Bewdley The Heath Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bewdley
Welch Gate Guest House
Welch Gate Guest House
#10 of 13 in Bewdley

Been to Wharton Park Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!