“The best place to stay in Bewdley”
Review of Mug House Inn

Mug House Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Bewdley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We have stayed at the mughouse around 7 times now spent my 60th and have just booked for our 40th wedding anniversary. Food in restaurant and bar second to none, Rooms are beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean,Staff make you feel welcome and comfortable

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Eviefairy

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Its not very often that we can give a five star review to a pub restaurant but we do this without reservation. Great beer, great food, super service, proper pub atmosphere and scenic location. We called in for lunch had a couple of beers "Taylors Landlord" which was kept very well. I went for the fish and chip butty whilst the boss had the honey and mustard glazed ham sandwich. The bread was home made and nice and crusty, the tartare sauce with the fish and chips was home made with just the right hint of garlic , the salad with the ham sandwich was very nicely presented with a tasty dressing. The prices for both dishes was circa £10 a real bargain.
Well done to all who make this a place to add to the must visit list.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevesid
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I was in the area for a business trip and this place was recommended to me by a customer.

You have to know that it's not a modern hotel but you will just feel like visiting friends and have your own room in their house.
Another small negative point is that the wifi is not very strong when you are at the last floor but works perfectly fine everywhere else.

Apart from that, it's a lovely hotel in a very quiet and nice location, the staff is friendly, the prices are affordable and you will sleep very good in the confortable beds.

If you are hungry, their restaurant is serving very good food at also very affordable rates.
If you are thirsty you can have a drink in the pub, which is very cosy and full of nice people ready to have a talk with you!

I am looking forward to my next visit to the Mug House!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay in the Daffodil room. The room was quite large but because it is such an old property it is quite an odd shape as was the bathroom.The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. A bottle of fresh milk and bottled sparkling water were kept in a small fridge in the room and there was plenty of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits. The shower over the bath was OK but not thermostatically controlled so the water temperature varied quite a bit.
The Inn is in a lovely position, right by the side of the Severn where we saw lots of geese, swans and ducks. There are tables outside to enjoy the views, weather permitting.
We ate in the restaurant the first night and the meal was OK. Not overpriced and served by friendly staff. We also found the bar area very warm and cosy with plenty of locals having a drink and again we found the staff to be very friendly and efficient.
Unfortunately,the breakfasts were a different matter. The first morning wasn't too bad.
We both had a cooked breakfast with fried eggs which was acceptable although I wouldn't recommend the Award Winning black pudding and there was only smoked bacon on offer which we are not too keen on. The second morning we placed our order, boiled eggs for me and bacon,sausage and scrambled egg for my husand and waited FORTY minutes for it to arrive. There was only one other table of four in the dining room. The lady who took our order brought our tea and disappeared. I think my eggs had been in the water for about two minutes because they were so watery that I couldn't eat them. By this time I had lost interest as had my husband with his inedible scrambled eggs so we left most of it. There was no one in the dining room to complain to.
When I paid the bill I told the man who I assume was the owner about the wait and the poor quality of the food and of course he apologised and said he would look into the problem. Since I have come home I have noticed on TA that someone in September had similar complaints and was assured it would be looked in to.
There is obviously a problem with both the cook and the waiting on staff on the breakfast service which is a pity because the Mug House Inn could be good. I have given a five for service because the majority of the staff were excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank handy0
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed at the Mug House for 4 days. Without exception, all the staff were so friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. When you arrive pay £10 for a car park permit which allows you the use of the car park 100 yds away for your stay. When you leave, your £10 is returned - well worth this. Rooms are clean and well furnished, and the location is superb, just a few minutes walk to the town. Plenty of local places to visit. You must see the church at Witley Court Gardens, absolutely breathtaking. Also the ruins of Witley Court, and there is a very nice tearoom there selling lovely cakes. Bridgenorth is a pretty place to visit and has many quaint streets and interesting shops. Don't miss the Castle Tearooms and Restaurant at 1 East Castle Street, Bridgenorth (in the High Town). Shona and Natasha who work there are so nice and helpful, and the food is good too! Behind the Parish church are the remains of the castle, and there is a lovely walk round the castle grounds, overlooking Low Town in Bridgenorth and the Severn Valley railway. West Midlands Safari park is a great day out - 0nce you have paid, you can visit again for free.

Room Tip: Stayed with my disabled husband in the Cottage Room 1 which is adjacent to the Inn. This room has a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda C
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

We first encountered this place through the soup trail as part of the Bewdley Harvest Fair, and had a delicious leek soup served in these authentic dried leaf bowls. Also with some fresh bread, it went down nicely in the pretty garden setting at the back.

So we decided to go back there for lunch and ordered some turkey and bacon pies (in mugs!) which were quite tasty. I had pork medallions which were overdone so a little dry, but the rest of the dish was nice. One of my daughters had the pizza which looked ordinary but tasted fine.

With some local English brews, it all went down nicely and we would definitely be back again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank PuppetPower
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Loved this place. Fabulous location right on the rivers edge. You need to park your car about 1 mins walk away but the owners give you a pass and the short walk is worth it. A lovely friendly pub with a restaurant to the side (gutted not open Sunday but understand!). Rooms simple and clean all with views. Superb breakfast and nothing too much trouble. Especially loved my scrambled eggs - thank you!

Room Tip: I had the bottom one, Cottage 1 but it appears all are river view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank arundelclaire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bewdley
Mercure Bewdley The Heath Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
Travelodge Kidderminster
Travelodge Kidderminster
#1 of 5 in Kidderminster

Been to Mug House Inn? Share your experiences!