“Perfect little touches” 5 of 5 bubbles

Brockencote Hall Hotel
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect little touches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here as we were given an Eden Hotel gift voucher for room, breakfast and three course dinner. Have to be honest and say we chose Brockencote because it was the one with space that night - but it was definitely a great choice!

We were in Kestrel room (Superior) and it was beautiful - huge bed, sofa, TV, not to mention an absolutely enormous bath! It was at the back of the house with a view onto the fields. It was a tad noisy every now and then as it was near the kitchen, but nothing too disturbing at all.

As the hotel is old, the stairs are very creaky but once I'd realise what this noise was it was not a problem.

Dinner was lovely - the sweetcorn mousse (the amuse bouche) was divine! Being a vegetarian, there was not a huge choice (if you don't eat fish) - I had potatoes and vegetables, which although was not very exciting, was cooked perfectly. Drinks in the bar before hand were extortionately priced, but we expected this so it didn't bother us much. The cheese course was wonderful, plenty to choose from, and the waiter on cheese duty knew everything about his cheeses! For me, the staff were the perfect amount of attentive - there when you needed but not bothersome. Breakfast the next morning was also lovely, not a huge amount of buffet choice though.

It was the little touches that made our stay - there is a form to fill in before you arrive and we had let them know it was our anniversary. Despite being called Mr and Mrs at one point (we are not married - but this wasn't a big problem at all), the staff all wished us a Happy Anniversary, and even the petit-fours with coffee had it written on them! I was given a vegetarian menu without asking (again having filled in the form beforehand). When we arrived back to our room late after dinner, 'sleep easy' Teapigs tea had been put ready by the bed with slippers laid out on the floor! Lovely little touches and very friendly staff who knew when to not intrude.

Apart from drinks, can't comment on value as we were staying as a gift. One small tip - our luggage (one rucksack!) was carried to our room and the lovely gentleman looked as if he was expecting a tip, as I know is custom in many places. I didn't have any cash on me at the time - so if you do tend to tip things like this, have some cash to hand!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Lovely hotel set in grounds with lake, interior of hotel well looked after and when we arrived log fires burning on what was a dull day. However I am afraid the hotel is let down by staff who fail to be particularly welcoming or even make eye contact, I think it may be down to lack of training rather than any fault of individuals. With regard to the food - it was fairly average, ok sandwiches, ok cakes and scones that could have been fresher. We were offered tea and coffee but no choices within these categories. Sometimes beautiful wood paneling, good linen and the correct cake fork are not enough the food needs to be top notch as well, especially as at £18.95 per head it is not cheap. Overall opinion - underwhelmed and wouldn't recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anita_K227129
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Driving down the private drive, past the lake and ancient trees the first view of the hotel suggests a large chateau. Inside it is no less impressive and professionally complemented by excellent staff. Prices are 5* as is the food and wine - not a cheap date by any extent.
Opening the door to the room, first glance it looked very nice but once you have chance to put your bags down, breathe and look properly it is astounding. More of a suite than a room, the bathroom was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L a modern masterpiece carefully and well planned. The bedroom begs you to take a running jump onto the massive bed. It's romantic, romantic, romantic. Remember to take a picture before you unpack.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank craigkrobinson
Droitwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We came here for lunch on my partner's birthday. This was my fifth visit here since it changed hands. When staff found out about the birthday a birthday card was on the table. This was a nice touch which was appreciated.

When we arrived there was fire burning brightly in the hall. It was a grey day and that was a cheerful reception. The hotel is beautifully furnished and the staff are helpful and attentive.

My partner was happy with his meal. However, I did feel that my vegetarian meal was on the bland side although it looked very good on the plate. I had goat's cheese panna cotta but I struggled to taste any goat's cheese although the dish was beautifully presented. My main course looked wonderful but again I wondered what I was eating. It seems churlish to complain when the surroundings and presentation are so good but that is how it was from my point of view.

This hotel has a very good reputation and I suggest people come and try it for themselves. I have eaten excellent vegetarian meals here in the past.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Herts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Just back from a stay in this marvellous hotel. Everything you read about it is absolutely true. The staff are wonderful, supremely professional and really make your stay even more special. From the roaring log fires everywhere to the home made bread and wonderful cream teas, you are in for a special treat once you step foot in here. The rooms are immaculate, warm and tastefully decorated - we didnt want to leave! The food is superb, michelin star quality. A big thank you to all the staff - you are all very special, well done.

2 Thank Eagle734
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

What a great find this place is. With the booking confirmation, came a questionnaire asking about preferences, likes and dislikes; something I have not seen before. It seemed slightly unnecessary at the time, but the hotel had taken complete note of my partner’s dislikes of certain
foods. We stayed two nights, and during the afternoon on both days we were personally sought out to discuss how the various menu items could be tailored to her needs. Even the pre-dinner canapés were changed slightly just for her – what great attention to detail.

The food was superb, and the portion sizes were just the right amount, and not too small as other reviewers have suggested. The staff were brilliant …… attentive and efficient, but always very friendly with a smile. There seems to be a very tight knit team of management and staff,
with everyone working so well together.

The bedroom was fairly modern, with a large bathroom and plenty of space elsewhere; we slept very well in the large comfortable bed.

There are some lovely seating areas around the hotel, the library, where we spent the majority of our time, and the area around the fireplace in the main entrance hall. My only suggestion would be to turn the lights down in the library, which would give it a real old country house feel – I understand it is fairly bright so people can read easily, but lower lighting would make it so much more atmospheric (just my opinion!).

I am really looking forward to coming back here in the future – definitely a place not to be missed.

Warwick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We booked a Saturday night stay for dinner with a family group staying in four rooms. From our very first phone call nothing was too much trouble and every detail was looked after.

Every room was delightfully decorated, immaculately clean and there were several generous touches, from the welcome letter and fresh fruit to some lovely decaf tea and slippers when our room was turned down during dinner.

We booked one of the private dining rooms, which was perfect for us and the staff looked after us perfectly, the menu showed off the chefs talents and the food surpassed our high expectations, it is of little surprise that they have been awarded 3 AA Rosettes.

The views over the grounds were spectacular, even if the weather was not, the bed was big enough to lie in sideways and so comfortable it was highly tempting to miss breakfast !

We're very glad we didn't though, again the service was attentive but not intrusive, with a tasty full English breakfast, or lightly poached haddock and poached eggs which was delicious !

Ready to depart, our journey was held up with the fact that our car had a flat battery, needless to say the staff were quick to help us out and see us on our way ! We left relaxed and happy, a beautiful stay in a wonderful hotel and we can't wait for our next visit.

Stayed February 2014
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
The Cotford Hotel and l'Amuse Bouche Restaurant

Been to Brockencote Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!