“Very much a Mixed Bag!”
Review of Chequers Inn

Chequers Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Fladbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Having read a few very good recent reviews and a quick look on the internet, on the spur of the moment, my wife and I decided to ring and reserve a table on the patio for Dinner.

I must say, I was surprised to see that they only had a short wine list, (about 6 white and the same red!). Before taking our seat outside, I ordered a bottle of Billingham Chardonnay from South Africa; when it arrived a few minutes later; although it was in a wine-cooler with a little ice, I was very much disappointed to see that the bottle was open and the wine was warm!

My wife Beef Burger and Fries was excellent, unfortunately my Dressed Crab Salad was very poor, test-less and most probably had been frozen.....

Looking around the place, it very much needs a little TLC and a little more care and attention, (see buckets and mops left in full view, outside the kitchen!).

Although the young lady serving our Dinner, was charming and very friendly; I must say that on to-night performance, we will not rush back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank italian186422
pez28, Owner at Chequers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

having read your review of our premises with great thought, iam left pondering with a few thoughts of my own as to what you might of been expecting on arrival. firstly we are sorry you didnt think the wine list was large enough for you. normally we find 6 of each + sparkling is enough for most. Your Chardonay will have been opened at the bar because you were sitting outside i should of imagined. i doubt very much it was warm! onto your Crab this comes up from Devon, we live in the midlands i doubt it was frozen, but has to sealed in transport to avoid bacteria contamination, i question what sort of crab you normally eat..
there are areas of the building that clealy could do with some TLC but we work constanly with builders and gardeners to inprove this. we must remember we are working with a 14th century building. thank you for your feed back. iam sorry you didnt enjoy your experience on this occasion. please give us another go when you feel ready.

kinds Regards
Stuart
Proprietier

There are newer reviews for Chequers Inn

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Had been here previously ( 2013) and decided to revisit as under new owners. Most impressed and a most pleasant attitude to serve. Then decided to return for a walking party dinner and having pre-checked that special diets were no problem, I confirmed our booking for 28 persons!
We were not at all disappointed, all enjoyed our meals.
Restaurant very comfortable but is even to be revamped later this year.
We will return. thank you to all.
Retired_hotelier_10

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Retired_hotelier_10
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Arranged a Sunday Lunch for our Ruby wedding get-together, 28 people in all. Stuart & Terri were lovely hosts, the 3 course meal was excellent and the room & table setting spot on. Having enjoyed the whole experience we decided to return last night with friends to sample the house menu. It did not disappoint, the worst thing about the evening was not being able to try every dish! We shared the "baked camembert with bread dips", what a great start, and our varied choices of mains were all excellent. Topped off with great desserts, this was a meal to remember and at reasonable prices. Oh, and by the way, the Doombar went down a treat. Recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DaveJoyCritch
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Came here tonight for an evening meal in this newly decorated pub/restaurant , We were pleasantly surprised as the decor was nice, fresh and airy.
We had muscles, whitebait and fresh asparagus for starters. What can I say ? Excellent is the answer !!!! The freshest ingredients and super flavour. The main course did not disappoint either, beautiful crayfish linguine, a humongous steak and amazing Halibut steak all cooked to perfection. This young couple have started out in their first venture and we wish then every success. If you want fine dining with excellent value go to the Chequers inn Fladbury You won't regret it

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lord_pearsall
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Found this in The Good Pub Guide so dropped in for a Tuesday lunch. Restaurant was busy - and no wonder. My smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber baguette was beautifully presented with salad leaves and stuffed with a *huge* amount of salmon. Just £4.95 - how do they do this? Wife's linguine with goat's cheese and spinach equally good. Classy place. Excellent beer and friendly service. Very well worth a visit. Village butcher/pie-maker great too.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marsupialman
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This pub has just been taken over by new people. We went to have Sunday lunch there yesterday (9/3/14). All the food was freshly made and lovely. We had beef and yorkshire pudding, bream and a pasta dish, followed by a cheese plate and bakewells with fruit sorbet. Our main meals were between £8.95 and £12 approx. Drinks and desserts were on top. We didn't stay overnight, but accomodation is available we were told from Monday (10/3/14). We understand there has been some slight refurbishments to the bedrooms so will bear this in mind for future visits. The cost when we enquired was in the region of £75 per night for a double room, but this needs checking if you intend to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Doranna776
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here as had a christening to attend in the village and was booked and paid for by relatives. Due to restricted budget, always stay in premier inns when travelling. Most disappointing was the sofa bed for our 2 children aged 4 & 6. It was a single size even though the manger insisted otherwise. Had to sleep the kids top to toe. I went to ask if there was any tea or coffee- told it was in the bottom dresser drawer- the one that was broken shut. Also room was very cold- when I asked for the heating to be turned on ( it was October) I was told no as the temperature couldn't be varied in different parts of the building and the drinkers in the pub below would get too hot. Room was dirty- had not been hoovered where bed had been moved. Dangerous blind cords hanging down, very shabby. Had to wait a very long time at the bar to get served. Breakfast food was average although cleaner was hoovering around us! On a positive- they let me into the laundry room to iron my dress. And the pub was very busy with friendly locals. Won't be going back I'm sorry to say. I have lots of photos which I will try to upload.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fladbury
The Wood Norton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pershore
The Fleece Inn
The Fleece Inn
#1 of 1 in Bretforton

Been to Chequers Inn? Share your experiences!