“Amazing gravy”

Ranked #16 of 132 Restaurants in Kidderminster
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A friendly, family run 18th Century Country Pub serving quality traditional ales and home cooked quality food. Family friendly with patio, beer garden and children's play area set in the historical village of Blakedown, Kiddermister.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Went out for lunch ,recommend by friends best Sunday lunch ever ....trio of roast meats followed by homemade cheesecake ..

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This pub is lovely, the beer is always in tip top condition, ice cold when it should be and in correct, sparkling clean glasses. The food is fantastic and benefits from a proper chef on site! My wife and I regularly stop here on our way into Kidderminster and are always made very welcome. The negative comments on the site do appear to be isolated and could be expected to crop up in any pub environment. I would say however the female waitresses can be very excitable when chatting amongst themselves! Thanks, Mick and Sammy.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Wow- if you want a quiet drink DONT BOTHER!!!! At 1 point the female chef & 3 young staff were slating a male colleague which I found VERY unprofessional! I had to go outside to be able to have a conversation on my mobile. Then out came the steam cleaner!!!!!

2  Thank bollidee
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Having tried out The Swan for a midweek fixed price lunch and been delighted at the service, the food and the ambience, we chose The Swan to meet friends from Bretby as this was convenient to our temporary residence at Hurcott. Arrived on a brilliant sunny Sunday in March - WOW! - to find The Swan busy with a 40th party but this did not distract the happy staff from welcoming us and we were quickly shown to our table where we greatly enjoyed a delicious 2-course Sunday lunch accompanied by very good house wine. The Sunday Lunch menu was imaginative and, with the exception of calamari, everything was available with included a delicious duck breast.
All the staff had an infectious smile and, like Chris and Tracy - the mine hosts - were most happy and courteous. Pity we have to return to the Channel Islands soon as this could become a real favourite local haunt!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

If I'd written a review the last time we had Sunday lunch here, it would have been four or even five stars, as that was a very good experience. Today, it was very cold outside, with a biting wind as we arrived. We were shown to a table next to a window in a very pleasant room where the warmth of the strong sun on the windows was welcome, though even in a sweater and thick cardigan I didn't feel hot. Between the arrival of our drinks and starter, another table, of six, seemed to be telling the waitress that they were too hot. Without asking us if it was acceptable, she opened an outside door immediately next to our table (and some distance away from the people who had complained) with the opening angled towards us, so that we were hit by a blast of icy air. We called her back - she was leaving, again without asking us if this was acceptable - and told her that we really could not sit in this draught, so she said we could move to another table. The table she took us to was in a less pleasant room, next to the toilet corridor, with a draught coming down the corridor so that I was cold throughout the meal. There was another table in a better position across the room though it was for four and we were not offered it. However, it was taken by another couple later. I complained to the waitress that the people who said they were hot should have moved, not us, said we could go back when she shut the door later but we really didn't want to be walking backwards and forwards. Later the manager came and asked us how our food was. I told him the food was good (see below) but that we were not happy to have had to move. He said the sun in the other room was a problem and we replied that it was not to us. He also said that a couple of tables had complained about the heat in there and the implication was that as more people than us had wanted the door opened it was reasonable to do so, though no other party was sitting as near to the door as we were. He apologised and said that he would have asked us before opening the door. (Though I can imagine it might not have been pleasant to us if we had refused and others had blamed their discomfort on us). I mentioned that I would post this on Tripadvisor and the manager said that that would be unfair. I hope it is helpful to him to suggest a range of strategies to avoid any of his customers having an unsatisfactory experience again. 1 Don't use that room when there is bright sunshine. 2 Use that room in bright sunshine but take out tables near the outside door. 3 Warn guests about the heat when they arrive and offer them an alternative table. 4 Install air conditioning. 5 invest in one or two small, free standing fans which can be placed near to parties who are feeling the heat. The manager said he would reply to my comment so I would be interested to know his views on my suggestions and if he has any of his own for dealing with the problem.
The set menu for Sunday lunch costs £17.99 and the food was generally good, with large portions. We had enjoyed it the last time we went there which is why we went back. However, in my starter, a field mushroom with Stilton and onion marmalade, the single mushroom was small with so little Stilton that I could barely taste it. It came with a fair amount of salad, but I would have preferred more mushroom and cheese. The starter course costs £4, which seemed excessive for such a small portion, though it is likely that if my meal had not been disrupted as it was, I would not gave noticed that.

2  Thank jacquir88