“Exceeded expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Museum of Carpet

Museum of Carpet
More attraction details
Owner description: Located inside Stour Vale Mill, a beautiful Grade 2 listed building. The Mill was built in 1855 as a carpet factory and until recently it was part of Woodward Grosvenor, carpet manufacturers. We are the only museum in the country that is devoted to carpets and carpet making. Kidderminster has had close association with the carpet industry from the 1700s. The Carpet Museum Trust was established in 1981. As the industry contracted, the Trust began to collect machinery, artefacts, archives and libraries from the numerous firms in the town. The Trust now has a good collection of machinery showing the important stages in the technical development of carpet making as well as ancillary equipment. There are collections of archives in a variety of forms, ledgers, board minutes, deeds, accounts that have also been acquired from many of the companies around the town. There is also a collection of around 3000 carpet designs, many by significant designers such as Charles Voysey, Edouard Glorget and Bernat Klein. The samples of rugs and carpets illustrate most of the types of carpets, the different fibres and dyes, and the changing styles of design.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I was expecting the usual small town museum but the Museum of Carpet is so well designed and finished that it is as good as the top museums in london, if quite a bit smaller. There was loads to do for all ages and each time I have taken visitors they have been loath to leave when the parking time ran out as they got so engrossed in one aspect of the displays, be they 3, 30 or 65. None of us had any links with the carpet industry before so it is interesting for all.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mattie528783

Great Yarmouth
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The rise and fall of a way of life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

The history of the Carpet making industry and the social economic benefits it brought to the town but equally how the skills of the workforce were adapted to make munitions in the Second WW.
Downside was only two and half hours allowed on adjoining Morrissons car park

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Scottbradwell
worcestershire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“great place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

super place to visit especially if you had ancestors in the carpet industry,I Spoke to a great chap in there about the work my Ancestors did,,he was able to tell me and show me the work they did will .be back very soon. Give yourself time to look.!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank chay5459
Caroline T, Manager at Museum of Carpet, responded to this review, 2 July 2015
Thanks for your kind review. The Museum has a dedicated team of volunteers, many of whom worked in the industry for years, and they are especially keen to share their knowledge and their memories of the trade with our visitors.

Don't forget if you're looking for things to do over the summer months, we've got a great programme of summer activities aimed at children and adults alike - craft based things to do and make, science based fun, arts activities - so there is always plenty to see and do if you visit.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A pleasant afternoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I have lived in Kidderminster for over 26 years and when I moved here, I knew very little about the history of the town. I was told it was famous for carpets and that was about it! However, my visit to the museum has really opened my eyes to how big the industry was! I didn't think I would spend as much time at the museum as I did (nearly 2 hours). This museum had been talked about flor many years and at last it is up and running and is housed in one of the old carpet factory buildings. We were shown how various aspects of carpet weaving were carried out and told about some of the jobs the workers did. I was particularly interested in learning about the families who originally set up the early carpet companies as it explained where a lot of the street names in Kidderminster came from,
Thank you to the very friendly and knowledgable staff and can recommend it to anyone with an interest in our industrial heritage.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Maz W
Caroline T, Manager at Museum of Carpet, responded to this review, 2 July 2015

Kidderminster
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Not sure”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is placed in the entrance to a supermarket...not very big and maybe not worth a special visit unless combined with a weekly shop! Have to say that the cafe in the supermarket is quite good for a drink and lite bite.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Kathleen_9
Paula K, Manager at Museum of Carpet, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Hi! Really pleased you were able to pop in and look around. We are doing lots of things over the summer for the school holidays too. Unfortunately we aren't able to have a cafe in the Museum, pleased you found the one at Morrisons good. I would also recommend a great little place across the road from us, Love Food Italia, it's run by a local guy, I think it serves the best coffee in Kidderminster!