“Fawlty Towers” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kidderminster
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fawlty Towers”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2006

oh my gosh what can i say apart from this hotel reminded me of Fawlty Towers.

The receptionist Sam was very patronizing and rude. My husband and I actually saw her smoking,drinking and swearing in the lounge bar when we were waiting over 10 minutes to get our key to our room.

Breakfast was cold and looked like it had been brought out from the day before!!

The room was atrocious. paint was peeling off the bathroom wall! & was very old fashioned - which speaks for itself - us being the ripe old age of 50!

The restaurant was not even worth bothering for. When we looked at their hot table menu there was only a choice of 2 main meals which my husband and I prefer proper freshly cooked meals. When we asked the barman if anything was frozen he said he would ask the chef. he returned and replied to us that chef said everything was apart from the soup!!

We went to a local small Hotel & Restaurant, where I have stayed previously instead!

I will not go here again & would always recommend the Granary in futture

• Stayed December 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2005

My wife and I came to the hotel as part of a pre-booked group, most of whom were staying at the hotel, for a fiftieth anniversary dinner for our club. We had had a long day as we had left home at 6.00am and had been doing club work throughout the day. We were really looking forward to a good meal as we had only had a sandwich all day.

We arrived at 7.00pm. The first signs that things were going wrong were when the Restaurant Manager said the soup was burned and would we make another selection. After a long wait the starter appeared. After another hour a few members of the group got the main course meat, no vegetables. When ours finally arrived it was raw and bore no relation to any duck I have ever seen. We refused to eat it.

Several people, not just from our group, complained to the Restaurant Manager, who clearly thought it was all a huge joke, although he admitted there was a problem with the chef.

At 10.30pm we walked out without having had anything other than a starter. The Receptionist was not around but the barman from the rear of the Reception area asked what I wanted. I asked him to order a taxi. His reply was to tell me not to point my finger at him.

The Duty Manager had appeared and apologised, saying that she had been unaware of the problems in the Restaurant - although clearly all the other staff knew. Despite the problems over the chef, the responsible staff failed to communicate with us our with their managers and the evening was ruined. We had a tin of rice pudding about 11.30pm in our camper van.

The following morning one of our group staying at the hotel had to go out to buy eggs for breakfast.

Come back, Basil, all is forgiven!

• Stayed April 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Croydon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2004

Having read the above opinion we were quite apprehensive of staying in this hotel in October 04.

However, when we arrived the receptionist was very welcoming and informative. She got a young man to help us with our bags to our room.

Our room was quite comfortable with a lovely view of the park.

The hotel has a delicious carvery restaurant served by lovely staff who couldn't be more helpful. That was something my wife and I agreed was a great compliment to the hotel that the staff were so friendly and cheerful.

We would definitely stay at the Gainsborough again and would recommend it to anyone.

My wife and I thought that we would write this review to give the Hotel the good review it deserves.

4 Thank Louise W
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2004

Stayed here about two weeks ago along with 40+ other people for a wedding.
We only used the accomodation as the wedding was elsewhere.
First impressions last in my book, so the fact the receptionist ignored us for two minutes when we were stood in front of her did not help.
Our room was on the top floor and felt like it was in the middle of the tropics as it was so hot with only a small window that opens onto the main road (noisy).
The shower was in some serios need of repair and also had no extracter fan so the whole room would steam up.
Other guest's had similar experices's
Run down and in need of some repair and staff training.
Dont bother

• Stayed January 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank topcoptiger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kidderminster
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bewdley
Hogarths Stone Manor

Been to Gainsborough House Hotel? Share your experiences!