“fantastic fish and chips!”
Review of Captain Cod

Captain Cod
Ranked #54 of 140 Restaurants in Kidderminster
Reviewed 27 June 2018

excellent take away! the taste is like the old fashioned chips, not sure but I think they may use dripping to cook.
Always buy from CAPTAIN COD when we visit the SVR. Always hot and delicious, give them a try!

Reviewed 17 June 2018

Strange how there are bad reviews of this chippy as I have always had a good experience with them. Indeed I travel miles on occasions to use it.

To me the test to how good a chippy is, is the queue awaiting service and I don't think I have ever been there when there wasn't a queue.

The food is always tasty, well cooked and they serve my favourite, Pineapple Fritters.

The chippy is also very convenient (opposite) to Kidderminster Railway station and the Severn Valley Railway.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

I have used captain cod for years. I went in 35 mins before closing time and were given the choice of what was in the cabinet already cooked. The female who was serving was pleasant and had asked whilst serving somebody else for fish and sausages to be cooked. No mini fish. No sausages. No curry sauce. 4 customers were there at the same time and another 3 arrived as I walked passed. All to be told the same. 2 stood talking at the end of the counter and the male cooking couldn't be bothered to cook for people as they placed an order. I would have waited. The quality of the food can be hit and miss depending on who is cooking. The chips were hard and full of black bruised potatoes far more than usual. A lot of money to pay to throw it away. I have given one for it being open and one for the female serving. If you have a car try Sutton road chip shop instead far better.

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

I've been using captain cods fish and chip shop since I was a little girl. I remember my parents taking me on a Friday night occasionally. Well the last few times have been appalling to say the least! Tonight Christmas Eve was no different.

I asked the not very cheerful staff how much the fish on the very left hand side of the counter was and if they were included in the special, she said they were, this was odd as the ones nearer the customer were much larger than the ones nearer to the serving side. I asked for 2 specials and an extra small fish to which she put in the box a tiny piece. I asked for the larger ones. I really don't mind paying extra for what I would like but to be honest I didn't get a choice. Both the girl on the till and the girl wrapping up my food turned into nasty little madams with zero customer service. frowning, and throwing my food that I was paying for into the bag. I would have liked salt and vinegar but didn't dare ask for anything else. The whole time this is going on another customer is amazed at how I the paying customer is being treated and Nigel the owner doesn't say a word. A simple that fish is 50p more or would you like salt and vinegar or just a simple smile would be nice.

I'm disgusted at how bad this place has gotten over the years. I've worked in customer service for years and Nigel if you read this I think it would massively improve your business to develop customer relations and perhaps use correct weights and portion sizes. After all most people don't like being ripped off or treated like rubbish after years of supporting local businesses.

Merry Christmas

2  Thank Clair R
Reviewed 17 December 2017

Visited here for the 2nd time in a year. We'd visited the SVR so thought we wouldnt even get a table; but we did. It was obviously busy which is a good thing to see. The staff were very polite & apologetic. The young lady eventually sent over to take our order did a great job although doesnt normally do orders. The place is clean, food yummy, good portions & extremley reasonably priced. The staff were friendly & very polite & again apologised for the initial wait. I highly recommend this place & will definatly return when we return to SVR.

2  Thank polly A