“Disappointed - Sunday lunch for a birthday celebration”

The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kidderminster
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I used this restaurant as long ago as the late 80s. It was, then, renowned for its excellent quality food on the carvery and superb sweet trolley for you to choose from.
This time, the beef was overcooked, the veg not great and the plates were so small the gravy ran off the sides.
I, luckily, was not seated on two tables which were next to the carvery counter. I felt sorry for those who were.
My sweet, bread and butter pudding, was very luke warm, the custard too and both I think the chef forgot to add any sugar! Oh dear bring back the 80s.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
granary000, Owner at The Granary Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

We must apologise for your experience and all your commentary has been passed on to those involved. We take all criticism very seriously because without it we cannot improve. Thank you for taking the time to write in.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My boyfriend and I visted here for my 18th birthday on the 30/05/2013 we stayed in the upgraded room with the four poster bed it was lovely and big , comfortable bed it had a bath and not a shower I prefer a bath so very very happy!!
I book to dine at the restaurant for 7.30 went for pre cocktail at the bar befor food average cocktail not the best we have had!
Food well it was out off this world starter I had the scallops they were cooked perfect and I would say I have high expectation and they were so tasty! My boyfriend had crab cake I loved them however he though they were quite strong!!
Main course I had the lamb it was cook perfect, my boyfriend had the chicken and the presentation was incredible fair play to the chef he is a credit to this hotel!
Dessert was packed full off flavour I had the creme brulee with a biscuit it was the best I have ever had . My boyfriend had the strawberrys and cream it was the daily special.
The wine was really good staff very well spoken and look after you well.

The best thing for me was the breakfast the buffet breakfast but it was all good quailty meat it was just perfect. Loads off juices to choice from, that help with the hang over from the wine.
Food is definitely worth ever penny it come to £99 for the 2 of us 3 course meal and wine but 100% worth it.

Definitely coming back here, my mother picked this hotel as a birthday present for me and my boyfriend as it is near to west middle safari park it about a 5-10 min drive so perfect!! Worth a vist for bandb or just food.
Thanks for a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room to superior room it is worth it.
Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I recentelly atteended for a family meal to celebrtae my fathers 65th Birthday. A very nice atmosphere and excellent food and service.

We chose the granary after we had our wedding there 2 years ago and both times have been memorable for all the right reasons.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here for a wedding in June. Staff were brilliant ,very friendly,helpful and professional. We arrived late and manged to have an evening meal. Main course was very small and we could have managed 3 times as much ! The sweet was fantastic ! Very much bigger than the main course. Our room,bathroom was really good. Bed really comfortable and we slept really well.
On checking out the car battery was flat and staff soon came to the rescue to try and help. They were great.
All in all a very pleasant stay,shame it was only for 2 nights.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We came here with friends for Sunday lunch, in order to celibrate our 30th anniversary. We are members of the 'diners club', so we are well accustomed with the Granarys' usual standards. We were disapointed that there was no option other than a carvery, at the time of booking we were informed an a la carte menu was available, must have misheard.
The carvery was 5p short of £20, for 3 courses and coffee. The starter was ok, I had a deconstructed prawn cocktail, though the prawns were a little dry, it was tasty. Our friend who is gluten free, did not get her roll, untill after she finished her pork terrine starter, this was poor service!
The carvery was another disapointment. We could never be accused of being gluttonous, but the size of the plates were of such a modest size, that you were made to feel that you were being over zealous with the portions of vegetables, when in actual fact there was no room on the plate. The food was delicious, I just wish I could have had more. I enjoyed the sweet, this was served on a massive plate, maybe they got the plates mixed up!
We felt our anniversary got hijacked by fathers day, still we laughed at the gift of socks I received from the restaurant, though I would rather have had a nice fullfilling meal, with good service.
We wont come back for the carvery, there are better in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
granary000, Owner at The Granary Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thank you very much for writing in. I don't quite know what happened here as we have never served A La Carte on a Sunday lunch. Our sincere apologies for any misunderstanding that may have arisen. I appreciate that when your expectation does not match with what is on offer, there is bound to be disappointment.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We have visited The Granary several times for different celebrations and each time the
food quality and service has been exceptional. The staff are very polite and friendly.
We have eaten at various times, lunchtime and evening and the value is very good.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed on business. Lovely welcome, staff really keen to help, you got a real sense they were proud of and enjoyed their work. Rooms a bit on basic side but clean and good size. Free wifi on offer makes it perfect for anyone with technology needs. Held several informal meetings in the small bar which is wonderfully furnished if a little small, thankfully it was quiet after lunch. Evening meal & breakfast with freshly cooked eggs was fantastic. All in all a pleasant stay highlighting that independents really can provide a better experience than the faceless chains. Will return.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
granary000, Owner at The Granary Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Your kind words mean a lot to all those involved. Thank you very much. I am glad also to report that we are shortly to have a Satellite broadband connection for WiFi which should make the service even better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kidderminster
Gainsborough House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Kidderminster
Brockencote Hall Hotel
Brockencote Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett

Been to The Granary Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!