“The worst hotel I've ever seen”

Collingdale Hotel Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kidderminster
Collingdale Hotel Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I didn't actually stay here I needed somewhere to stay after recently relocating to the area with work. I was greeted outside by a rod hull look-A-like with matted dirty hair who let me in. The owner was rude and unwelcoming and grunted at me. The window on the front door was smashed. There was a man in the lobby shouting 'get me a cider!'. Then the owner took me upstairs to show me the room which I had to request to see as he was keen to get the money off me first. As I went upstairs there was a strong smell of urine and music blasting out from one of the rooms. The rooms were basic. Depressing and horribly decorated. would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE even of I hated them. No-one deserves this misery.

• Stayed: May 2011
8  Thank wimon1976

Reviewed 14 January 2010

Stayed over 2 successive weekends as a treat for a Severn Valley Railway 1940's event. The dining room resmbled a good quality, homely Sergeant's Mess on a modern RAF base. The guests were entirely ex-RAF personnel in uniform, attending the war time reunion at the nearby Severn Valley Railway, which maintains a steam railway line through to Bridgnorth. I found the atmosphere very homely and welcoming. The breakfast was plentiful and nourishing with a wide variety of options including vegetarian and on this my retirement year, I'm hoping to treat myself to an indulgent weekend away (weather permitting). Currently snowed in, in Smethwick, but if a thaw sets in by Sunday, hoping to see in my 65th. there stopping Jan. 17th, through to the 18th., my birthday itself. Very convenient for SVR events. Very quiet, more suited to mature guests. My only criticism is the number of exceptionally steep stairs, not really suited to those of limited mobility

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Read a lot of Bad reviews about the Collingdale but we found it ok, is very close to the Train station as it says just 100 meters and a ten min stroll into town, plenty of takeaways along the way and pub opposite rail station, found the rooms to be ok did the job and had a super power shower in my room, R6, the breakfast was very good and plenty of it but i do agree about the owner, an indian chap who says not a boo, you cannot get conversation out of him and certainly not a smile but only really saw him at breakfast, he does the lot so no other staff, i say ok but if could would try the Victoria across road or somewhere up on Bewdley Road next time, found little noise and everything worked ok inc the tv shower and door lock

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dumdumdiddle
Reviewed 24 April 2009

No lock on room door, no door on bathroom, poor shower (temperature control doesn't work), broken window, very poor TV reception, rude and ignorant owner, inedible breakfast, noisy, none too clean, smells of dirty feet and the area is heavily vandalised and covered with graffiti. At £35 per night, that is disgraceful! It would be cheeky to charge £15 for these facilities. This place only survives due to the scarcity of cheap accommodation near the town centre and the volume of part-time students arriving for courses. If someone you don't like is going to Kidderminster, send them to the Collingdale Hotel (3 stars - but who awarded them?).

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank flogwumpf
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Well where can i start.....

I was tryed talked to the owner couple of times but he was not very talkative and barely saw a smile or laugh, the room was moderate without no real features.
Shower was terrible as the shower head didn't stay in place no ensuite so a bit annoying needing toilet at night, but then for £25 you get what you pay for.
My advice to management is to interract with travellers to make them feel welcome, a simple "hello" and "how was your journey?" which are two things which weren't said

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank mugsymo
Reviewed 1 July 2007

The Collingdale Hotel is actually a low-cost B&B but in Kidderminster there is a dearth of accomodation so I thought I'd try it. B&b's these days are generally pretty good - and certainly better than Travelodges etc. as I'm sure most people would agree. Food standards are often very high and they are a cosy retreat especially as the owners generally are very welcoming, helpful and friendly - their livelihood depends on such service of course. Except at the Collingdale Hotel in Kidderminster! The owner is not blatantly rude, like Basil Fawlty - that would at least be amusing! He is simply ignorant. You would have to travel a long way to receive such an unwelcoming reception. Did the rooms and breakfast make up for it? No. Avoid it. There have to be better places to stay in Kidderminster - or find another town!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business