“Amazing hospitality!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Redditch
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Amazing hospitality!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

What a lovely venue! Had my Grandads wake here a few weeks ago and nothing was too much trouble. From start to finish staff were friendly/helpful and caring and it made such a difference. On arrival to the hotel staff greeted us on entry which was a lovely touch. The food was delicious and everyone commented! Staff were attentive and always someone around if you needed anything. The afternoon was then spent in the conservatory looking out into the beautifully kept garden! I had never been to the Southcrest before and was quite sceptical however my view has totally changed! I will definitely be going back and recommending! Thank you once again for such a lovely experience.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
warwickshire
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visited the southwest for the first time in quite a while on recommendation. We were not disappointed.. we were greeted by friendly reception staff who asked if we wished to go straight to restaurant or for a drink in the bar, we decided on the latter and someone cane to take our drinks order and give us our lunch menus quickly. There was no pressure to order just told to relax and someone would be with us when we were ready. There was a fantastic menu four starters six mains and four deserts. I chose traditional roast beef my daughter had chicken and husband and daughters boyfriend both had the stuffed lamb. Three of us had pate starters with a relish and one chose prawns with Marie rose sauce. We were shown to our table with a lovely view of the gardens asked if we would like more drinks or water and we were all given a lovely warm bread roll. The starters arrived and were all delicious, nothing left on the plates there ! Our mains followed a large platter was put on the table with the relevant meats that you ordered in front of you with stuffing and yorkshires for everyone, followed by roast and boiled potatoes and two dishes of mixed chopped veg of aubergine peppers corvette and onion( a delicious change from carrot and peas) we also had two gravy boats of piping hot gravy. The meats were delicious as was the rest of the food. Plates were clean once again. The staff were friendly and attentive without being overwhelming. None of us could eat desert but they looked fabulous. We followed with coffee and tea and were given a pot each. All in all a superb lunch
WELL DONE. To top it all off it was 2-4-1. Bargain!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed 5th April 14 . Staff were superb especially the 2 in the dining room who kept their cool with the extremely awkward elderly couple. Food was excellent and reasonably priced. Our room over looked the woodland area and was nicely decorated. Would go back again

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week with a number of colleagues at late notice - the hotel we usually stay at was fully booked. We paid for the slightly more expensive rooms (executive at around £100 per night) which were fine (clean, fairly spacious, lovely view) but nothing to write home about compared to other rooms I've stayed in for that price. We stayed in the old part of the hotel and I did like how quaint it was - I must say the grounds are absolutely beautiful too.

The main issue for me was noise - on the first day when I arrived I sat to do some work and could not concentrate because of thumping house music coming from somewhere below me - after an hour of trying to guess where it might be coming from and/or when it might stop I went to the front desk. The lady at reception was really lovely and polite - the noise was loud music being played in the kitchen. The fact that it was noise coming from the staff (rather than other guests) was quite surprising!

I was woken the next day (and on all subsequent days) at around 6am. This is because there were a group of work men/work women staying at the hotel at the same time as us who thought nothing of talking loudly in the corridors when they left their rooms for breakfast (and also due to the age of the house the floorboards make a lot of noise!) This happened every day - I was going to complain upon payment at the front desk at the end of my stay but I wasn't asked if I had enjoyed my stay so didn't find an appropriate time to bring it up.

We ate in the restaurant several times and I really enjoyed the food - it was delicious (and very good value for money). On two of the nights we were also served by a fantastic waiter - really polite and attentive! On the last night we were served by an older lady who I actually found to be quite rude - she asked my colleague why she hadn't finished her potato - when my colleague replied that she was 'full-up' the waitress rolled her eyes and said "Okayyyyyyyy" in a very derogative manner. I was not impressed.

They gym is very basic - one treadmill, one rowing machine and some weights - it is unsupervised but is open 24 hours a day.

I am sad to say I would not stay at Southcrest again - due to the smaller issues such as the noise (which could well have been a one-off given the workmen's stay coincided with ours) and the rudeness of that one member of staff on our last night. If little things like this were to be resolved though I think the hotel could be a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay in the older part of the house - go for an executive room if you can afford it. The extra £50 m...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Very pleasant hotel with helpful staff. Enjoyable evening meal that was well priced. Good selection at breakfast. Good room with a view out on to woodland. Plenty of coffee sachets in my room, also good to have a bottle of water. The section I stayed in was part of the original house and so it had character. Another bit of character was the restaurant where you could feel the floor "bounce" when people walked towards the kitchen - brought a smile to my face.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

After reading some appalling reviews we decided to try this hotel anyway!!! So glad we did the staff were lovely, the room was huge and the food was out of this world. We stayed for dinner, bed and breakfast loved it that much we are having our wedding party there with 100 guest so even more people can experience this amazing hotel.Excellent service even better value for money, well done every team member for your amazing hard work thank you for an amazing break.

• Stayed March 2014
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We were given our key and made our way up to our room. But when we arrived the cleaner was in there only just starting to clean the room! Not much communication between housekeeping and reception then. But in all fairness the blip was quickly resolved, as the cleaner put us in another room that she had already cleaned.

My Husband wanted to use the gym. He came back saying it was very, very basic. He is a Personal Trainer so knows his gym. He did use it for an hour and made do, but said that the belt on the treadmill kept slipping every 50 seconds. So don't get too excited if you hope to use it.

We went for dinner at 730pm and the hotel was dead. We were the only ones in the restaurant for a while. Not sure why as the food was delicious! We had three courses and didn't leave a scrap of food. The steak was perfectly cooked and everything was well presented.

However, a couple of incidents embarrassed us and left us feeling cold. Adam the young waiter was lovely. Very polite and professional. He took our order and we gave him all our choices from the menu, including what we wanted for desert as we knew what we fancied already. But then suddenly we heard a voice screech right across the restaurant aggressively 'You do not take their desserts yet Adam!!!!!'. We jumped to Adams defence and said that it was us that had given him the desert choice. So Adam proceeded to the kitchen where we heard Sharon again telling off Adam for taking our desert order. It was so awkward and it was our fault that Adam was having a roasting for something he didn't do. When Adam came back out I whispered an apology to him.

Then after dinner, we retired to the bar. Again, dead. I asked the bar person if it was usually this quiet when another senior worker came up to him, butted in and started telling him off in front of us for collected glasses he wasn't meant to. The poor lad tried to defend the reason why he had collected the glasses, but this woman wasn't having it.

Now I know we all make mistakes, but for the senior staff to tell people off in full view of customers is so unprofessional and embarrassing. We didn't know where to look. So we were left cringing twice. Is this usual practice I wonder? Both lads should have been taken away and spoke to quietly. So top marks for Adam who was wonderful and the barman with the glasses, but the others were awful.

The room was fine. The shower was shocking!! Was barely a trickle. I was in there 20 mins trying to get all the soap from my hair. Never had such a bad shower and the shower tray was coming away from the wall. Also the light shade above the bed was burnt and cracked. The beds rock hard. But it was clean. To be honest we have two children under three years old, so we just wanted an uninterrupted nights sleep and a lie in, so it was okay for that. But it does feel like some parts of the hotel have been updated and others not. It's all a bit good, but then on closer inspection not so good. If I hadn't of had a deal, I would of been unhappy. But the deal made you look past a few niggles.

Breakfast was great. Nicely cooked and as expected. Service was attentive. No Sharon in sight thank god or the other woman. Happy with the food the whole stay.

Room Tip: Room 245 has a bad shower and looks over the car park. Quiet on a Sunday morning, but in the week pe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Millie_Boon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redditch
Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
#4 of 8 in Bromsgrove

Been to The Southcrest Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!