“Wedding”

Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Redditch
“Wedding”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I know lots of people who have used this venue for their weddings and have worked many more at this venue, so was nice to go back and experience it as a customer. Not a great deal has changed with the venue, it works perfectly. Only negative was seating area in bar not enough chairs, when asked to break out from the main room so they could turn it around for the evening we had to queue for coffee and drink it standing which wasn't ideal. Busy hotel with still not enough parking, lots of people had to park on the road! Awesome evening well done to staff.

Stayed April 2014
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with the Trip Advisor community about the Abbey Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I am happy overall you had a nice experience and your comments with regards to an “awesome evening” really means a lot to us. However, I am sorry to read that some aspects did not meet your expectations. We constantly strive to provide all of our guests with the highest standard from the moment they arrive and at this point I can only apologise that you did not receive this throughout. Please be assured that our Conference and Banqueting Manager has shared your comments with the team and carried out some re-training to ensure that there are no reoccurrences.

We value any feedback that we receive and your comments with regards to our staff and service is very important to us and will certainly be fed back to all departments.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Polish first
Northamptonshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night in March for a friends 30th, being pregnant she decided a relaxing spa break would be perfect including treatments.

Well all I can say is no way is this a spa break (they even sell it as a relaxing spa!!), this is a leisure centre and nothing more, if you want somewhere to take the kids for the weekend whilst hubby plays golf then brilliant take them here but not as an adult only party to escape the kids and want to relax, that you will not do! Children are loud in pools so that with the echos just made this experience a waste of money. I have written to the hotel manager to bring this to his attention and a nice enough chap but his reply stated their website does say the "spa" is open to children between 10 & 12 but I can assure you this was after lunch I.e. 2pm onwards.

Unfortunately they don't offer any pregnancy treatments so our options were limited, we opted for a pedicure & again this IS NOT a pedicure it was simply getting my toenails painted!

A lovely dinner and beautiful surroundings but this is nothing more than a hotel that offers a small leisure centre for families.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Maisy2010
Dear Maisie2010
Thank you for staying with us at the Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa and for taking the time to share your views with the Trip Advisor community.

I am sorry to read that that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. I know that our Operations Manager has been in contact with you with regards to your experience and has carried out investigations accordingly. We constantly strive to provide all of our guests with the highest standard from the moment they arrive and at this point I can only apologise that you felt you did not receive this.

Once again thank you for your comments, should you decide to return please contact me directly so that I can personally oversee your reservation and demonstrate that your experience was an exception to the rule.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed here for one night for a work event and had a pretty dreadful 'Classic' room just at the top of the stairs from the reception desk (138). With the door shut I could hear the receptionists on the phone. Some of my colleagues who'd stayed the previous night said there had been a problem with noisy people coming in extremely late/early morning from a night out so I decided to close the wedged open double doors between my door and the top of the stairs when I went to bed. The bathroom was very dated with poor supply of toiletries (1x shower gel & 1x shampoo/cond combo, no moisturiser) and possibly the worst shower I've ever used - I had to run round to get wet as the shower head was tiny and seemed to spray everywhere but where you are able to stand. I also couldn't find a hair dryer so I wasn't able to wash my hair in the morning as I wouldn't have had time to attempt to dry it with a towel before our conference. The window latch was hanging off making it almost impossible to close the window fully, which meant the birds which have nested in the corner of the eaves of a section of roof right outside the window woke me at the crack of dawn. There was also an intermittent fan/generator noise which meant I generally had a dreadful night's sleep. The only reason why I haven't taken a further star off to make the rating 'Poor' is because the staff are so nice and the food is really good - breakfast was very good and the lunch was gorgeous.

I would never ever choose to pay for a 'Classic' room as they are truly poor, I'm glad work was paying. If I had stayed in a slightly better grade of room that wasn't pretty much in reception it would probably have been a different story, however they were fully booked and I wouldn't have been able to be moved. Do not book a classic room unless you have a very small budget!

Room Tip: Avoid 'Classic' Rooms, they're obviously the oldest in the place and are a bit cramped a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear HannahVJones,

Thank you for staying at the Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa and sharing your views on TripAdvisor.

We really do apologise if you were in anyway unhappy with your guest room, we really do wish that you had shared your dissatisfaction when you had stayed and we would have ensured to move you to a different room for your stay. We only want our guests to have an excellent time when they stay with us.

With regards to the bathrooms, we are currently going through a refurbishment programme which includes upgrading the bathrooms in our standard bedrooms with the last bedrooms due to be completed by the end of May 2014.

Once again thank you for your comments, should you decide to return please contact me directly so that I can personally oversee your reservation and demonstrate that your bedroom experience was an exception to the rule.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visited the Hotel restaurant on a family get together for Sunday lunch as my father Jim goes there on a regular basis. The staff are friendly and very helpful. You seem to have your table for however long you wish which is great. You have a fantastic choice of food to choose from for all your courses which has something to suit everyone, its fresh, hot and tasty. Lovely warm, cozy feel to the place and great for all ages. Can not comment on the rooms, never stayed there.Thank you

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Jude and Stuart
Thank you for your Sunday Lunch review following your visit at the Abbey Hotel, Golf & Spa.

We’re so pleased you had a “great Sunday Lunch” and really appreciate your comments about “fantastic choice”, “Friendly and helpful staff” and the general feel of the Abbey Hotel. Thank you so much and I will look forward to sharing this feedback with our team here.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We held out wedding at The Abbey Hotel on the 14th February and can honestly say we had a fantastic day, the staff were amazing and the food was great, all of our guests had a great time and it will be a day we will treasure for the rest of our lives

Thanks especially to Kay and Oliver for making our day so special

I hope to return for our first wedding anniversary !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sarah F

Many thanks for your review following your wedding at the Abbey Hotel in February. We are all THRILLED to hear that you had a such a “fantastic day” and to hear that our staff were “amazing” really does mean the world to us here.

Furthermore I know that Kay ad Oliver will be delighted to hear what a poignant part they played in making your wedding day so special.

Once again many congratulations and we look forward to welcoming you back again to the Abbey.

Bideford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a nice hotel but lacks attention to detail. Stayed with another couple, our heating never worked...freezing, in other room could not be turned off......boiling! Waited half an hour for a beer as staff unable to change barrel, no real ales available! Some staff would benefit for customer care training, less than helpful. Food very average, breakfast quite cold, dinner over cooked. Restaurant staff very friendly and helpful. Golf course good but very long.

Room Tip: Checkout the bathroom, some are not very good and need a revamp, check heating works.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LinDevon2014

We are so sorry to read that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We constantly strive to provide all of our guests with the highest standard from the moment they arrive and at this point I can only apologise that you did not receive this throughout. Please be assured that our Operations Manager has shared your comments with the team and carried out some re-training to ensure that there are no reoccurrences of the issues described.

With regards to the bathrooms, we are currently going through a refurbishment programme which includes upgrading the bathrooms in our standard bedrooms and is due to be completed by May 2014.

Once again thank you for your comments, should you decide to return please contact me directly so that I can personally oversee your reservation.

Golf Del Sur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed for the one night,our room was large spacious and clean we used the spa and dined there we had the special two course meal which was good value and a good buffet breakfast next morning before we left

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Felixpippen
Dear Felixpippen

We’re so pleased you had a pleasant stay and really appreciate your comments regarding our special Friday Feeling package which includes a 2 course dinner in the restaurant.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I will look forward to sharing this feedback with our team here.

John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redditch
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
Old Rectory House
Old Rectory House
#5 of 8 in Redditch
Premier Inn Redditch North (A441) Hotel

Been to Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!