“Easter Break 2014”
Review of Abbey Hotel

Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Redditch
Reviewed 2 May 2014

After a hectic fumed filled journey down to Redditch , we finally arrived at The Abbey Hotel.
We were greeted with smiling friendly faces which relaxed us straight away, the reception area was airy and pleasant in decor.
We checked in with ease and kindly directed to our room, which was very nicely set out, looked and smelt very clean, bathroom very nice with a huge bath which i intended to have a nice soak in later before our meal in the Brambles Restaurant with friends.
We had a lovely evening just relaxing and drinking, no pressure to leave when it got late on.
After a comfortable restful nights sleep, we got up early went for a swim, we had a sauna then popped into the Jacuzzi.
We then went for breakfast into the Brambles Restaurant, which was well set out and very organised the staff came straight over to ask whether we would like Tea or Coffee or both and told to go and help ourselves to either Continental or Traditional breakfasts.
We helped ourselves and what a choice there was set out before us, Very nice indeed.
After breakfast we had a leisurely walk around watching the morning golfers Teeing off and how nice and relaxing were the surroundings.
We really needed a quiet relaxing break which is exactly what we had.
This was not our first visit, what with weddings and parties and such like, I can happily say we will certainly be visiting the Abby again very soon.

Room Tip: if possible facing the golf course ( a little more expensive ) but they are as comfortable but bette...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Tina R

Thank you for staying at the Abbey Hotel and for taking the time to share your views on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted you had a pleasant stay and really appreciate your comments with regards to your Easter Break. We really appreciate your time in giving feedback and comments such as yours are very important to us and will certainly be fed back to all departments.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Held a golf day for 16 at The Abbey. The golf course is in good condition for April time and the course itself is an excellent test. The 18th is the perfect finishing hole as you can watch the rest of your group play the last hole whilst sat outside Tawny's bar. Tawny's bar itself is in a nice setting, situated away from the rest of the hotel, with a very relaxed atmosphere. The golf day itself was excellent value for money (food before and after the golf included in the price) & the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Craig B

Thank you for your “Great Golf Day” review following your visit to the Abbey Hotel, Golf & Spa.

We’re so pleased you had a pleasant day and really appreciate your comments about the golf course being in “good condition”, “excellent value for money” and the staff being ”friendly and helpful”. We value all of the feedback that we receive and it really means a lot that you have taken the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

Once again thank you, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked this hotel for a short golf break for a work competition involving 20 golfers. we had booked 10 rooms all with 2 comfy single beds. We had travelled all the way down from Yorkshire (Bradford). On arrival we were greeted very polite staff. The rooms were very comfortable and all with en suite bathrooms consisting of both bath and shower, the beds were really comfy and a very nice size for a single. We found the golf course to be really well kept and very nicely situated in the grounds of the hotel. The course itself is a very good course with a selection of different kinds of holes ranging from some nice long straight holes to shorter more challenging holes and probably one of the best and nicest courses I've played. We had booked to play Saturday and sunday and really glad we did so we got to play the course again. The only problem was the weather but we didn't let this spoil the golf. It also has a 2 tier driving range that is well situated in the grounds. After a nice relaxing couple of drinks in the bar overlooking the 18th hole it was a great night sleep and in the morning the full English buffet style breakfast was spot on from cereal to bacon and sausage and the staff are happy to tend to your needs, then it was out again to have another round on this fabulous course. Back at work on the Monday everyone was saying what a great time they had it was no wonder that we have all booked to return again in August. 5 star course and hotel can not fault this place one bit.

Dear neggle,

Thank you for staying with us at the Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa and for taking the time to share your views with the Trip Advisor community.

We are delighted that the whole weekend for you was “5 star”, from the condition of the golf course, to the comfortable bedrooms and full English breakfast. We really appreciate your time in giving this feedback and I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the team here.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We recently visited the hotel for sunday lunch as it was a very special occasion - a 70th wedding anniversary (you dont get many of those nowadays!) for nan and grandad, the carvery lunch was excellent, with many individual starters and a wide choice of desserts. The hotel organised a private room, which was laid out exceptionally, the service and staff went out of their way to make this occassion extra special. The whole experience for nan and grandad was over whelming. Can not thank the hotel and staff enough for making this special day wonderful. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear sjb100_11

Thank you for choosing the Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa to celebrate your grandparents 70th birthday.

We are so grateful to hear these lovely comments and to have been a part of your family’s special celebration. We are delighted with your feedback, this really does mean the world to us to hear and I look forward to passing your wonderful comments onto all our team.

Once again thank you for your booking and choosing to celebrate here at the Abbey. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Booked our golf break to celebrate one birthday but turned out we had 3 and a retirement!! All 14 of us looked forward to it and kept checks on the weather reports to know which weather gear to take. The course was very long and tiring but not too hilly and we had glorious weather on the Sunday finishing off the round with a few beers over-looking the 18th green. We pre-ordered our evening meals and duly handed them into reception all looking forward to a good wholesome meal after such a long day.
One downside was no BT Sport to watch my team play in the FA Cup semi-final !!
After a shower and change in our "cubicle-sized" room with sloping ceiling which I kept banging my head into (and no lock on the bathroom door I might add ??) we made our way to the Bramblings restaurant for our meal at 7.30pm.
We were shown to our table laid out for 14 at the back of the restaurant - in hindsight was this a deliberate ploy so that we could not see the food that other diners were given (and vice-versa) so unable to compare the quality?? After reading "parbirdieeagle"s review a few days ago this completely summed up our meals - definitely not 4-star!! And with the same result that most of my party left after the mains and refused to return for dessert.I indeed duly returned my starter without even touching it - 5 measly prawns looking like they had been left over from lunch!!
I asked to speak to the Chef on duty informing him that I would be embarrassed to have such a poor excuse for food leave my kitchen (I have many years experience of catering) and he was most apologetic; the (I assume) Head Waiter was pretty non-plussed by all this and no alternatives were offered.
My advice to all on a Golf/Spa break ,if offered the pre-order menu ask how much to upgrade to "proper" food as I have done at other hotels and have not been disappointed

1  Thank Craig H

Dear Craig H,

We are sorry that your restaurant experience in Bramblings did not match how happy you were with the rest of the Abbey Hotel. I really would like to apologise for the disappointment you experienced and would like to take this opportunity to empasize that your experience was an exception to the rule and not a common occurrence. Please be assured that our Food and Beverage Manager and Head Chef have shared your comments with the team and carried out some re-training to ensure that there are no reoccurrences. I can guarantee you that we are all very proud of the service that we provide to our guests and all our team care and are very passionate about their work.

Once again thank you for your comments, should you decide to return please contact me directly so that I can personally oversee your reservation and demonstrate that your restaurant experience was an exception to the rule.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed for one night in early April. I spend quite a lot of time in some cheapish hotels when away for work so I have a clear bench mark. The value here was excellent. We paid £10 more than quoted at the Premier Inn nearby, yet had use of the pool and sauna etc, very comfortable beds, good quality bathroom products (not a dispenser attached to the wall) and the convenience of a nice bar and restaurant (not a walk across a car park to get to a Chef and Brewer/ Harvester or similar). It had a 4* feel to it, mostly and not the 'perfectly ok to get your head down for the night' vibe that other establishments have (which is where I usually spend at least 2 nights a week) and charge pretty much the same price.

Great staff as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear BirminghamWhizzer,

Thank you for staying at the Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa and sharing your views on TripAdvisor.

We’re so pleased you had a pleasant stay and really appreciate your comments about “very comfortable beds”,” nice bar and restaurant” and “can’t fault the value”. Thank you so much and I will look forward to sharing this feedback with our team here.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I don't often right reviews of a negative aspect bit I felt the need to in this instance, we booked for an overnight stay with the intention to use the spa facilities with our children and then go to Cadbury world the next day. We checked in just after 2pm to be greater by really friendly reception staff, that's were the loveliness ends I'm afraid! We went to the sports bar for a bite of late lunch, I ordered a cheese, tomatoe and red onion panini, now I'm no expert but to get that wrong you really shouldn't be working in a kitchen of an apparently 4* hotel! It came out without the onions and my husbands was well to put it nicely well done! I took it back to be told the chef would do another one, instead it came back out with a minute with some raw onions shoved in. Now I know it's just a panini and not a a la carte meal however when your charged over £4 a pop you would expect a bit more effort.
We decided to go use the swimming pool which was a bit scuzzy to put it nicely! The pool area felt slimey to walk on andthe jacuzzi was more of a murky grey colour with similar foam developing in it when it started up, not spa standards at all.
Now let's get to the bedroom, the hotel photos are great at showing the refurbished rooms however the family rooms are very dated and need a good old clean, the bathroom especially there was mildew around the bath and shower screen and finger prints on the doors, I'm not saying it should be immaculate but if it's being rated as a 4* I do expect 4* hygiene!
Also if your expecting a sleepin don't get your hopes up we were in room 21 and were awoken at 7 with furniture being moved about above us I can only imagine being the cleaners not doing a very good cleaning job! We also had the pleasure of a polite maintenance man knocking on our door at about 9 am asking when we would be checking out so he could switch the water of to do some work! Why I don't know I again not being in the hotel trade would imagine this work should be carried out between customers checking out and new customers checking in but that's just me!
All in all, the only good thing about this place is the reception team, really friendly and helpful, if you want to stay over night I would suggest the premier inn and go for a meal in redditch there is a lovely farm shop/ cafe called the stables about 20 mins away that does amazing breakfasts and lunches rather then pay the £10 a head for breakfast at the Abbey.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear cakesbydarshna,

We really do apologise if you were in anyway unhappy with your guest room, we really do wish that you had shared your dissatisfaction when you had stayed and we would have ensured to move you to a different room for your stay. We only want our guests to have an excellent time when they stay with us. Our bedrooms are always serviced daily and tea/coffee and toiletries are replenished and towels replaced as standard. I would like to assure you that all of your comments have been passed onto the Front of House Manager and the Food and Beverage Manager and re-training has been carried out where necessary to ensure that there are no reoccurrences.

We constantly strive to provide all of our guests with the highest standard from the moment they arrive and at this point I can only apologise that you felt you did not receive this.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Abbey again and show you a great “Abbey experience”. Please do contact me john.hindson@theabbeyhotel.co.uk and I will personally oversee your reservation.

Kindest regards

John

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redditch
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
#7 of 8 in Bromsgrove
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!