“Friendly, courteous staff; great Indian food; but the hotel needs work.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montville Hotel

Montville Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Redditch
Montville Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Redditch
Oxford
“Friendly, courteous staff; great Indian food; but the hotel needs work.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

I booked a single room but was told on arrrival that none was available, so they had upgaded me to the bridal suite at no extra charge. Oddly, the man behind the desk was very coy about the upgrade. He asked me to keep it to myself and be sure to look after the room carefully, as it was their best one. I resented the suggestion that I might be inclined to damage the room.

The initial impression of the room was favourable. It had recently been refurbished and looked modern and uncluttered. Closer inspecion, however, told a diferent story. Among the many shortcomings: there was a thin layer of dust on everything; the (wooden) floor was very sticky underfoot; there was a sticky substance on one of the leatherette chairs; there was no bedside light; no shaving mirror; tiny batchroom sink - I could scarcely get my hands in; various electric sockets and switches had been closed off in a bodged manner; the doors did not open properly and got stuck on the floors; there was a plastic mattress protector under the bottom sheet, which made for an uncomfortable night's sleep in the middle of hot sticky July; the bed coverings were worn and had holes in; there was a small step from the bedroom to the shower room which had not been finished well. The impression was of an ambitious and imaginative refurbishment, but that the work had been done by unskilled DIY-ers, leading to very poor quality finishing. And if this is their best room...

The young man who first told me to look after the room was in denial and tried to tell me, without even inspecing, that the room was absolutley fine. Happily his female colleague came to see the room, saw the problems and cleaned it while I had my evening meal.

The Indian food was really good in the restaurant, but the cooked breakfast was well below par.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank RupertTBearOxford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

we arrived early at the montville at about 2,30 and were told we couldn't check in till 3.30 so we went for a drive around the area, the member of staff was very polite and assured us we could arrive on time and everything would be ready. We booked a single room and a double room honestly the single room was tiny being able touch the walls both sides with my hands stretched out, but asked if i could upgrade and she was happy to do this for me, my room was huge and very clean, only bit was that the sink was cracked but didnt make any difference to using it, ( it had been sealed ). Even when we arrived back at 12.30 am she didnt batter an eyelid she let us in and i went back out a little worse for ware and let me back in at about 2 am, she was very professional.wasnt bothered till my friend knocked my door at 9.30am to say we had to be out in an hour, and the girl wasn't fazed when we asked to leave our stuff til we had our car. bout 2 hours later ha ha ha. well done Montville x Lester, Samz & Jade

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank lwoodger
wirral
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

room
electrick sockets of the wall
curtains hanging off windows
sink cracked right through
room not fit to stay in
no effort to find a different room

• Liked — the reception
  • Disliked — room quality
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank philWirral

Travellers are raving about these Redditch hotels

malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2008

it looked good from the out side .i booked a single room but i asked to be moved as the room was disgusting the bed moved and tilted as i sat on it .i was moved to a double room which was better but to a low standard i did not have a shower the bathroom floor was dirty and the light did not work .

Stayed January 2008
7 Thank robbie017
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2006

I satyed 3 night it was great with breakfast night meal all under one roof. Will come again. Very good deco, service of the restaurant staff and hotel staff plus the food and breakfast was great. Day starts with full English breakfast and ends with Indian meal.

• Liked — very nice and clean
  • Disliked — its shame they not have lifts
  • Tips/Secrets — do not recommend people with disabities
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank warli
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2006

This was the second time that my husband and i stayed at this hotel, as my husband was on a business trip. I must say that we were really impressed with the changes made throughout the hotel and the restaurant. We found our stay very pleasant and the staff was friendly and welcoming, the restaurant within the hotel was well modernised and the food was beyond our expectations, therefore we would definitely return in the near future.

• Liked — The standard of the professionalism
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Dine in the restaurant
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank brandy3008
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2006

We stayed just one night, the bed sheets were dirty, ripped and springs were sticking out of the bed. No towels were provided, the wall had something smeared over it, which looked like faeces. Bathroom floor was sticky and smelt. Only one plug sockett worked in the room, the milk in the room had gone off and then they tried to over charge on the bill. I have never stayed somewhere so terrible.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business