Holiday Inn Express Birmingham, Redditch
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Westmead Hotel(Birmingham)
View Hotel
All reviewstrain stationshopping centrebeansfew minutes walkcar parkfree wifibreakfast was includedenglish breakfastclean hotelyogurtsofa bedcadbury worldplenty of parkingbudget hotelexcellent valueshort stayfamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have stayed here before and have always commented on a poor breakfast, however with bacon on offer this time, I have to comment on the improvement.

We also tried the restaurant in the hotel and although the offering is limited, what we had was very tasty and enjoyable. We also took advantage of the Meal + WiFi offer and found that as there were 3 of us, all 3 got vouchers for free 24hr WiFi . This represented a big saving against the advertised rates, almost making the meal free.

On check in , I had noticed that having 2 rooms with one stay starting a few days later, I had different rates on the 2 bookings. This was sorted out by reception who were very helpful.

Rooms were as always clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Floor 2 upwards have quieter rooms. Go for the meal dfeal and get 24hr free wifi
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here for an overnight stay having done the same last year, and once again had a great stay. Spacious family room (with double bed, double pull out bed and room to squeeze in a travel cot), with good shower (although the children would have preferred a bath).

Lat time we brougt a take away back to the room, but this time with the fine weather we all ventured out up into the town centre. Plenty of choices for places to eat in less than 5 mins walk including pubs to the left and right of the hotel, and fish and chips, chinese takeaway, eat-in (with bring your own beer) or take away Indian, and pizzas etc. However we settlet on the very spacious and nice an cool Lloyds Bar as they welcomed childen until 9pm. Had good meals and the childrens meals at £3.99 were very large and equally as good.

Breakfast on the Sunday was busy, but we were early enough to get a table without a delay. Great choice given the minimal room, with food replenished pretty quickly. The minimal staff worked well to ensure there was plenty of food and clear the tables for a quich turn-around.

Will certainly stay here again as a similar trip is planned for next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Sort-of accidentally booked this place at the last minute - I was actually aiming for the Premier Inn but somehow hit the wrong button. I hadn't actually read any of the reviews of this place, but have since. It's well worth bearing in mind the management responses to the negative reviews - they are convincing in their rebuttals of the negative reviews.

From personal experience, we stayed one night last night (13th July 2013) here, and it was spot-on. Not expensive, plenty of parking, clean, cheery and quiet. Exactly what I'd have hoped for. Breakfast was quite good, although some people had to wait a bit to get theirs as it was very busy. The hotel had put up signs the previous day to warn guests of this likelihood due to full occupancy.

Anyway, top hotel and well worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

We stay at alot of Holiday Inn Expresses in the U.S. When we did a 2 week trip around the U.K. we stayed in Holiday Inns & Expresses using points (a total of 9 different hotels). Redditch was by far the closest to what we've come to expect in the U.S. HIExpresses: professional staff, new / updated facilities, great breakfast, modern in amenities. We had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We booked here having read some excellent reviews. The staff were, as others have found, friendly and courteous. However, we had 2 problems during our 2-night stay:

1) We left our room after the first night at just before 11am the next morning. We had left a 'do not disturb' sign on the door when we went down to breakfast but we took that off the door when we left. As we headed to the lift there were two cleaning trolleys, one either side of our room, with staff working in various rooms along our corridor.

When we returned later that afternoon we found our room had not been cleaned or the bed made, and there was a plastic bag outside the door containing a few towels and some drink sachets. The receptionist told me the domestic manager had gone home so we ended up making our own bed and swapping the dirty towels for clean ones ourselves.

2) We ate in the hotel restaurant that evening. My partner's meal was fine (it had bits of chopped-up gherkin in place of capers in her pasta... but no big deal). I had ordered a bacon & cheeseburger and emphasised that I wanted no 'salady stuff', mayonnaise, sauces or anything other than the bacon, cheese and burger in the bun. It came with all of those things in it! Again... no big deal at this stage... this wasn't the first time and won't be the last an order like that comes out wrong. I explained and the person who served it took it back to the kitchen.

When it came back a while later I could still smell the mayonnaise sauce and when I looked under the burger to check, could see that all they had done was try to scrape off as much sauce as they could and put it in a new bun. To his credit, the waiter owned-up immediately when I asked him and took it away again. By the time my fresh burger arrived my partner had finished her meal and I had to eat mine while she waited... hardly the 'meal for two' we had expected.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham, Redditch, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Fredd111,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced over the unsatisfactory service you have received during your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.