“Lovely, but disappointed with cleanliness”

Hogarths Stone Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stone
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lovely, but disappointed with cleanliness”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed on a Sunday night, so it was very quiet when we arrived. When I went to make a cup of tea in the morning there was a very long hair coming out of the kettle and the kettle looked as though it hadn't been cleaned, which really made me feel a bit ill. When I went to make the bed and open the curtains I noticed a dead fly and spider along the windowsill. They looked as though they had been there for a while so for me it made me worry about cleanliness of the room in general. The pillow case had make up marks on as well.
The service was, on the whole, very good in the hotel. But I was surprised when I went to speak to someone as I was leaving about the issues with the room, and they asked why I hadn't spoken to them the day before. I told them that I had only seen the problems that morning. I wasn't offered any kind of compensation for staying in a room, that in my opinion, was below my expectations when it comes to cleanliness. Next time I visit this area, I shall be staying at a local premier inn. They offer a good night's guarantee, so at least if I am unhappy it can be dealt with properly.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lepetitchou2049
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We have a very experienced team of housekeeping staff and on all inspections our standards of housekeeping gain top marks so I am sorry to hear that you feel we did not reach our high standards this time. The reason you were asked if you had reported this previously is because we pride ourselves on providing our guests with the best attention possible and we could have dealt with any issues the day before if we had known. I will pass on your comments to all staff concerned and would like to reassure you that we take al coments seriously. We would like to opportunity to welcome you back to the BEST WESTERN Stone Manor Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
droitwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We held our evening wedding reception here on 25th July, 2014. We had previously married in Antigua. This is a first class hotel with first class staff. Olde worlde decor, relaxed atmosphere, very characterful. We were allowed to go into the function room the day before to set up table decorations etc - very helpful. The house wines were of a very good quality. The evening buffet was beyond our expectations. Plentiful and varied. Lots of guests commented on how enjoyable the food was. There were a couple of guests that had special dietary needs which the hotel catered for.Our wedding party was the only function on that day so we had complete use of all the fabulous grounds which were stunning and well kept.
Breakfast next morning - a good selection of both hot and cold options, buffet style. The sausages and bacon were delicious and extremely good quality.
We had booked afternoon tea on the terrace at 3.30 pm. Considering there were two other weddings taking place on this day, we still received excellent service. The afternoon tea was a selection of sandwiches and assortment of cakes, all very freshly prepared with unlimited tea. We spent a couple of hours watching another wedding take place then walked around the fabulous grounds. NB the outdoor swimming pool was closed (and has been for a few months) due to health and safety issues. What a shame as the weather was brilliant!
My husband and I booked into the restaurant for a set three course meal. A varied and good choice of food offered. Good wine list too. All very affordable and a pleasant atmosphere.
We stayed in room 84 which had a four poster bed and jacuzzi bath. The room was clean, massive, had good views over garden, nicely decorated and above all we had a fantastic nights sleep, (well a couple actually as we stayed for the weekend).
Although two other parties were taking place the music finished promptly at 12.30 a.m.
Again breakfast the next morning was consistent with the first one, good quality, hot and cold food on offer. Very busy this time as hotel was full. Seated very quickly and service not hindered by extra guests.
Sunday Lunch - lovely atmosphere again in restaurant. We opted for traditional roast beef. This was carved at our table. Absolutely delicious, thank you. A huge variety of sweets to choose from.
SUMMARY - A quiet location, excellent value for money, friendly and accommodating staff, nothing too much trouble. Could not have wished for a better wedding reception. A big thank you to management and staff for our enjoyable stay. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. I am pleased that we provided you with a level of service we pride ourselves on firstly for your Wedding Reception and secondly for the rest of the weekend you enjoyed with us. We try and cater to all of our guests needs whether it be dietary requirements or special requests. I will make sure all your comments are passed on to our staff. I would like to wish you on behalf of all at the BEST WESTERN Stone Manor Hotel all the very best for the future together. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed overnight to break up a trip from derbyshire to Devon and we always stay in best western represented hotels. We arrived late and there was a wedding in full swing but we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist and checked into a really lovely room with 4 poster bed and jacuzzi bath. We could hear the music but it didn't really bother us as we wouldn't have gone to bed until late any way. We got a drink at the bar and asked for a sandwich which they brought to the room quickly. Breakfast was nice and check out again quick and friendly. It's a shame we couldn't stay longer :-)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am pleased you had a pleasant stay with us and we provided you with a friendly and efficient standard of service. I will pass on your comments to all the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Stone Manor Hotel in the near future.
hampshire england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at stone manor a couple of years ago in the winter and had a wonderful stay so i decided to book for a suprise weekend stay for my husbands birthday.There was a wedding on the Saturday and it was really busy i think these hotels just get greedy and they could not cope with the number of guests.We waited nearly an hour for our dinner and when it came it was under cooked and the sauce was not the one that was on the menu.The staff are lovely but they can only do so much,the poor head waiter was running around like a headless chicken .On our first stay breakfast was served but this time it was a buffet and the bacon was like leather and the eggs looked like rubber.We complained and were told the manager would phone us but we are still waiting!!!!!! Sadly we will not be returning

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hairdo
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We used this place for a stop-over on the way back from holiday - a great place to unwind and break the journey. OK some of the decor is probably reaching it's 'best before' date, but it is certainly not shabby. It is brimming with atmosphere and very relaxed - I would much rather have this than a designer makeover that's all steel glass and paid for though hiked up food and bar prices. Drinks particularly were great value for a hotel, and a pretty decent selection of wines, beers and spirits. The staff could not have been more welcoming and our rooms, though again perhaps a little bit 80's were well appointed, spacious, clean and generally delightful. Lot's of extra touches too. There were a couple of functions on, which were not a problem most of the time, but did "invade" the resident space for a hour or so - that was the one thing that spoiled an otherwise delightful stay. We ate off the bar menu in the evening - great selection, good value and well presented, the restaurant looked superb and we met quite a few locals eating there, which speaks for itself. Breakfast was really great - they had pretty much thought of everything - great sausages!! The grounds are stunning - sadly the pool is out of action, but the weather was probably not good enough anyway. We have a young child, and there is lots of space where kids can play etc. inside and out, though given the scale of the grounds, I was surprised that there is no swing, slide, climbing frame or similar - this would really be a blessing for parents who want to enjoy a drink on the terrace. All in all a great all round hotel for business or pleasure - I would not hesitate to use it again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments made after your recent stay with us. I am pleased you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed the relaxed feel of the hotel. I note your comments regarding the busy residents area during a function and appreciate it is difficult we do have a lot of guest who choose to stay with us when attending a function. We do have plans in place to update our bathrooms and bedrooms whilst retaining their charm. I have noted your suggestion to add facilities for children in our gardens and will of course keep these in mind. We would look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Stone Manor Hotel again soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times now over the past couple of weeks for work purposes.

This is an old manor and the décor is befits the hotel. If you are looking for clean lines, and a clinical modern hotel this is not for you. If you are looking for charm, character and beautiful grounds then I would recommend it. The hotel is great value for money, the rooms are spacious and the room I stayed in had lovely antique furniture in it but it wasn't dark and dismal. I will admit the hotel is a little tired in places and does need some tlc but I think this just adds to the whole ambiance.

The food is exceptional, I have eaten both in the bar and in the restaurant and neither have disappointed.

The little extras in the room are welcoming after a hard day at work, a couple of chocs and sweets on the dressing table, and nice biscuits to go with your tea, which is more than you get in a lot of places.

There is plenty of car parking, the grounds are beautiful and the staff haven't disappointed yet and I had a lovely night's sleep. The windows were not locked down either which was more than welcome during the night when I wanted some fresh air in the room.

The only down side I would say is take a hair-dryer with you. The phone signal isn't great but there is free Wi-Fi in the bedrooms and some of the public areas.

A lovely stay and going back on my next trip.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. We do have a planned list of works to be done within the hotel but whilst updating we aim to maintain the charm and relaxed feel that our guests welcome. We look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Stone Manor Hotel in the near future.
Tintwistle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

A very pleasant stay in a charming old manor. When you stay many nights in modern hotels this hotel make a great change with old world grace and service. Instead of staying nearer to Birmingham this will be my stop over from now on.

Plenty of car parking with excellent food, staff, service and wifi. There are excellent grounds to walk through and a terrace for those warm English evenings. The bar is to my taste with soft furniture and a relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: I was in room 22 - an excellent room