As we had stayed at a Menzie hotel before (the Strathallen Hotel Birmingham) which was excellent, we book a summer break at the Stourport Manor feeling assured we would have a similar experience, unfortunately this was not the case.
Check in was fine, the receptionist (Ben Bromwich) was friendly and efficient, so we were off to a good start.
On our way up to our room we discovered that the stairway had a very unpleasant dampness smell, but it seem to be confined to the stairwell so as we only had a one night stay we let it pass.
Apart from the bed and the curtains, our Superior Double Room was a little disappointing, tired decor, silicon around the bath taps was dirty and rust stained, the windows needed cleaning and there were rubbish bags below our window, (Removed shortly later). In the morning we were disturbed by some person just inside the door below talking very loudly
Dinner time was a shock, very slow service even though there were only 10 people at its busiest. Starter took 20 minute s plus to arrive and we were not offered any condiments.
There was a very lengthy wait for our main course and when it arrive the waiter put it on the table and turned to go without offer any condiments, this time we asked immediately.
After waiting some 5 or 6 minutes for them to arrive and as our steak had started to cool we started our meal.
During our meal we were asked if everything was alright so I highlighted that we were still waiting for the condiments and added that we would also like mustard, after a further wait they finally arrived, minus the mustard; (got it on the seconded time of asking).
We finished our meal and again it was another wait before our plates were cleared and our satisfaction was checked. When we said that we didn’t really enjoy our meal we were asked why? So I explained that our steaks were bland and a little tough. (I left a good part of mine).
The waitress said she would pass our comments on to the chef and that was the last we hear.
We were offered the menu dessert; I ordered crème brulee and my asked wife for coffee rather than dessert, I also asked for coffee.
Again we had a wait, which was particularly annoying as one for the waitresses was laying tables for breakfast in another part of the restaurant and the other waitress did on several occasions go into the kitchen but me out empty handed, then proceeded to chat to her colleague.
We finally lost patients when both the waitresses left the restaurant and decided we should do the same.
This seemed to put a sprint into the staff. As we approached the reception area someone ran up behind us and asked us to go back to the restaurant and sign your bill.
He was, however, a little taken aback when my wife suggested he should bring it out to us. At this point a female member of staff behind the reception asked if everything was alright, we told her it was not and explained that we were less than happy with our meal and very unhappy with the lengthy waits for service during our meal.
There male member of staff behind the counter said “oh dear it’s not normally like that”. I am not sure how he felt this would address our complaint; to me this was a very poor way to deal with it, It was as if he was brushing it aside (even more annoying was the way he continued to say “oh dear “several times afterwards, very patronising).
Nobody seemed able to offer a sincere apology
At breakfast there were different staff, totally different atmosphere, a friendly waitress greeted and seated us and her colleagues were friendly, efficient and speedy.
On departure we were back in the safe friendly hands of Ben at reception
Would I visit a Menzies Hotel again, the Birmingham Strathallen Hotel for sure and maybe some of the others but never, never the Stourport Manor Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with such a lot to offer the business, leisure and wedding guest. There is a lot of history attached to our Victorian stately home in the heart of Worcestershire. Set within 23 acres of wonderful grounds, the Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor is located 10 minutes from the M5 motorway and has plenty of on-site parking. Along with 72 comfortable bedrooms including family bedrooms, the hotel has lots of great facilities including a brasserie, a bar and lounge now showing BT Sport, a swimming pool, sauna, steam room, spa bath, gym, tennis courts, squash courts and foot golf. The hotel is a stylish wedding venue with capacity for 220 guests, which also has nine meeting rooms with capacity for up to 350 delegates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Lastminute, Expedia, Hotels.com, Superbreak UK, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies Stourport Manor Hotel Stourport On Severn
- Menzies Stourport Manor On Severn
- Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor Stourport-On-Severn, Worcestershire