“Summer Break”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Summer Break”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

As we had stayed at a Menzie hotel before (the Strathallen Hotel Birmingham) which was excellent, we book a summer break at the Stourport Manor feeling assured we would have a similar experience, unfortunately this was not the case.
Check in was fine, the receptionist (Ben Bromwich) was friendly and efficient, so we were off to a good start.
On our way up to our room we discovered that the stairway had a very unpleasant dampness smell, but it seem to be confined to the stairwell so as we only had a one night stay we let it pass.
Apart from the bed and the curtains, our Superior Double Room was a little disappointing, tired decor, silicon around the bath taps was dirty and rust stained, the windows needed cleaning and there were rubbish bags below our window, (Removed shortly later). In the morning we were disturbed by some person just inside the door below talking very loudly
Dinner time was a shock, very slow service even though there were only 10 people at its busiest. Starter took 20 minute s plus to arrive and we were not offered any condiments.
There was a very lengthy wait for our main course and when it arrive the waiter put it on the table and turned to go without offer any condiments, this time we asked immediately.
After waiting some 5 or 6 minutes for them to arrive and as our steak had started to cool we started our meal.
During our meal we were asked if everything was alright so I highlighted that we were still waiting for the condiments and added that we would also like mustard, after a further wait they finally arrived, minus the mustard; (got it on the seconded time of asking).
We finished our meal and again it was another wait before our plates were cleared and our satisfaction was checked. When we said that we didn’t really enjoy our meal we were asked why? So I explained that our steaks were bland and a little tough. (I left a good part of mine).
The waitress said she would pass our comments on to the chef and that was the last we hear.
We were offered the menu dessert; I ordered crème brulee and my asked wife for coffee rather than dessert, I also asked for coffee.
Again we had a wait, which was particularly annoying as one for the waitresses was laying tables for breakfast in another part of the restaurant and the other waitress did on several occasions go into the kitchen but me out empty handed, then proceeded to chat to her colleague.
We finally lost patients when both the waitresses left the restaurant and decided we should do the same.
This seemed to put a sprint into the staff. As we approached the reception area someone ran up behind us and asked us to go back to the restaurant and sign your bill.
He was, however, a little taken aback when my wife suggested he should bring it out to us. At this point a female member of staff behind the reception asked if everything was alright, we told her it was not and explained that we were less than happy with our meal and very unhappy with the lengthy waits for service during our meal.
There male member of staff behind the counter said “oh dear it’s not normally like that”. I am not sure how he felt this would address our complaint; to me this was a very poor way to deal with it, It was as if he was brushing it aside (even more annoying was the way he continued to say “oh dear “several times afterwards, very patronising).
Nobody seemed able to offer a sincere apology
At breakfast there were different staff, totally different atmosphere, a friendly waitress greeted and seated us and her colleagues were friendly, efficient and speedy.
On departure we were back in the safe friendly hands of Ben at reception
Would I visit a Menzies Hotel again, the Birmingham Strathallen Hotel for sure and maybe some of the others but never, never the Stourport Manor Hotel.

Room Tip: Think twice before visiting this Menzies Hotel, it is not one of the good ones
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DerekKyte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We celebrated our wedding at the Stourport Manor Hotel on Saturday (10th) and we had the most amazing day. From start to finish the hotel staff just couldnt do enough for us. Im a perfectionist and had a few reservations when we were told by our wedding coordinator to leave it in their safe hands on the actual day, but I can honestly say I couldnt have done a better job myself. Everything was where I had asked for it to be, the day ran so smoothly and we had so many comments from our guests on what a great day they had had.

The meal was perfect, the evening buffet was perfect, the breakfast the next day was perfect, can not fault them on food. The next morning they even set up a seperate room so our guests could enjoy their breakfast seperately from the other guests in the hotel, we felt like royalty.

We had such a great time my sister is now looking into cancelling the venue she had booked for her wedding next year and rebooking at the Stourport Manor!

1 Thank Charlotte M
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for your very kind comments in respect of your wedding celebration at the hotel and I was pleased to read that we managed to meet your expectations in every area of the celebration. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Menzies Stourport Manor at some stage in the future and if you have any future requirements please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My family and I recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel for a family wedding. Our family room was excellent (bathroom could do with a scrub), with lots of space for our daughters travel cot. The staff on arrival and the day before the wedding were good, although sometimes hard to find. On the wedding day I hardly saw any member of staff smile all day, and most looked positively grumpy. Probably down to the way they were being spoken to my the manager, which at times was unprofessional. Our biggest frustration was that we were told by the wedding couple that each guest got 2 glasses of wine. After the main course my husband asked for a second glass of wine, to which he was told they had finished offering wine now. He explained he only had one glass and was told tough as they only offer wine twice, once before starters and once before mains (about 15min apart). Not many of the guests had finished their first glass by that time! After some attitude from the waitress she did go and get us another glass of wine. The Sparkling wine for the speech was splashed into our glasses at lighting quick speed, some not being filled more than half way! The food was good, the day ran without a hitch but for the amount of money a couple spend on their wedding day, if you are told 2 glasses of wine per person that is what I would expect to get. We reckon the hotel probably used about 15bottles when the couple thought they were getting 35! The wedding brochure definitely advertises half a bottle of wine per adult, slightly false advertising I think! If the staff smiled and looked like they enjoyed their job then the day would have been even better!

1 Thank L H
Thank you for your comments in respect of your recent stay at the hotel to attend a wedding and I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in certain areas. I was obviously concerned to read your comments with regard to the staff not smiling as in general the hotel has had excellent reputation in respect of its hospitality and this is a very rare comment however clearly I will review with my team.

In respect of the wine service during the wedding there are different packages that people can purchase and in respect of this particular wedding it was a drink on arrival, a glass of wine with the meal and a glass of sparkling wine for the toast and again I will review the style of service with the team.

In respect of the wedding brochure which you saw you are correct that there is a new package that offers half a bottle of wine on our new wedding menus and these are priced accordingly and would never knowingly mislead any customers.

I was pleased to note you enjoyed the food and your comments will be shared with the team as we continue to aspire to increase our levels of service.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed with family for one night. Because of a family bereavement we had to change our booking at the last minute. The hotel management were brilliant and changed our booking with no extra charge.
The children loved the pool and there is a lovely seating area with refreshments adjoining the health club. Breakfast was excellent with a great selection of fruit, cereal, baked goods and cooked food.
I would definitely stay here again.

Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I chose this hotel because it accepted dogs and was close to where my wife needed to be for a course in June and July. On our first stay in June I booked 2 nights inclusive of dinner, bed and breakfast in a twin room. We were put in a nice sized family room with a single and a double bed but the toilet did not flush correctly and the bathroom had not had a proper clean for some time, there were stains on the grouting and sealing around the bath. The menu for dinner was very uninspiring and the food even less so. We needed a sharp get away next morning ( Sat ) so arrived for breakfast at the advertised time 0800 but it was not ready, when it was eventually laid out as a buffet on a hot service counter the plates in the heated dispenser were cold as the staff had overlooked turning it on! The food was however very good. Dinner that evening was the same menu and the same poor food. The beds were hard and the pillows equally so. The facilities for our dog were however outstanding, a large field outside for exercise and the usual requirements. Not a good stay but could have been worse, the staff were very friendly and helpful but not always efficient.
Faced with a return trip we chose the same hotel but just the bed and breakfast option. This time the room was a twin room with 2 single beds in a very cramped space, same dirty stains around bath. It was a very hot weekend and the windows opened very little at the bottom giving totally inadequate ventilation, a fan was available, but to be honest of little use. We tried a bar meal this time, my wife had some very nice smoked salmon and I had a soggy brown baguette with horrible dried out chicken in it. To add insult to injury the barman had not been trained how to make Pimm's. We returned to our room which was unreasonably hot and tried to sleep on hard beds and pillows with a noisy fan going, some hope. In a less than pleased mood we arrived for breakfast at 0800 to find that it was not yet ready. It did arrive 10 mins late but the plates were again cold. We called at reception to collect the packed lunch ordered the previous day to find it contained white not brown bread with cheese, an option not chosen. I told the receptionist that I would be speaking with the duty manager on my return later that day. After a quiet word with said duty manager and many apologies we were offered dinner on the house, same uninspiring menu, equally poor food. Another very uncomfortable night. Breakfast next morning was on time and with hot plates and packed lunch was as ordered. Another bar meal which was OK but not great followed by yet another uncomfortable night, Breakfast next morning OK.
This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, words fail me. Ok an effort was made to make amends with complimentary meals but you can't ignore the facts, this place deserves no stars and the general manager should be ashamed, but I'm guessing that because he has not had the decency to write and apologise the rot starts right at the top.

The dog loved it but we hated it and will never ever visit it or any other Menzies hotel again and would discourage anyone else from staying there, harsh but true.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul D
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for your comments during your recent stay with us. I was most concerned to read your review as I do understand you spoke to Angela when you were at the hotel to review these issues and she was of the opinion that the situation you had brought to her attention had been dealt with in a satisfactory manner.

In view of the detail I thought it appropriate to respond more fully.

In respect of your stay in June I was pleased to note you were happy with the size of the room noting you where allocated a family room that is larger than our standard twin and double rooms. I can confirm we are in progress of changing the toilet flushes to push button as originally when fitted the system had two levels of flushing and over a period of time this has caused some movement. In addition to this we are undergoing a programme of re-grouting bathrooms especially behind the mixer taps where access to the mastic is very difficult and the mastic in this area has discoloured.

Having spoken with Suzy, the duty manager on the Saturday morning, I understand that you arrived for breakfast at 7.45am and only the cold selection was available which would be expected as breakfast at the weekend starts at 8am. Depending on the client mix we do not bring the whole hot buffet out as clearly the quality of the hot items will deteriorate so we prefer to offer plated service early on Saturday and Sunday mornings for hot items to ensure the quality is maintained.

Moving on to the quality of the bed these have been replaced within the last nine months and are of a very high specification made by a leading bed manufacturer. They are of a similar specification that a leading five star property in London have installed following its total refurbishment, however quite clearly this is a subjective matter.

In respect of the bar meal I have fully reviewed this with the chef as the chicken should not be dry and as the baguettes are baked freshly each day and there is no reason for them to be soggy.

I do understand that during your meal on the Saturday evening Angela did carry out a table check and your wife indicated that the parsnip on the five hour blade of beef was a bit stringy and difficult to cut and as root vegetables are not in season we will monitor the quality of the parsnips more closely.

The chicken dish that you had on this occasion is a relatively new dish on the menu and again I do understand a table check was done at the time and nothing was mentioned. I further understand that due to the issues you had experienced Angela agreed to offer in addition to the complimentary meal a complimentary packed lunch that was ready and waiting for you on your day of departure as a gesture of goodwill.

Once again please accept my apologies

Louise Addis
Lincoln
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a coach package tour. This has meant, in the past, a compromise on standard of room and meals. I am pleased to say that it was not so in this case. As there were a large number of people in our party to be checked in, we were invited to take tea and scones in the lounge whilst we waited for our room keys. Our luggage was taken to our room to save us lugging it down endless corridors. The choices for our evening meal were good and not the 'budget' meal we have sometimes endured. The best thing about this hotel was, without doubt, it's staff ALL of whom were courteous and very helpful and seemed to have a genuine desire to make our stay special. The only down-side was the heat in the bedroom overnight, making it difficult to sleep, but as the whole country was experiencing a heatwave at the time, I do not think that the hotel or the staff could be blamed for this.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Cheltenham
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The supper and breakfast were excellent and some of the service was good but the visit was severely let down by some terrible lack of attention to detail. Admittedly, it was extremely hot so sleep was elusive but in a four star hotel it might be reasonable to expect air-conditioning. Fans were unavailable. The pool was a welcome relief although we felt that the whole area around the pool and particularly outside were scruffy and neglected. We did not use other areas of the spa. But our main beef was with the lack of staff resulting in poor service on occasion. We waited quite a while in reception on arrival (admittedly early) to see whether our rooms had been done and then to get a cup of coffee. At breakfast, the teapot was filthy and nothing ever cleared between, cereal, cooked and toast 'courses', it all getting piled up. One room had been cleaned as it was understood we were staying a second night although reception must have known we weren't, and we were worried that new guests might have been subjected to our not very fresh sheets, given the heat of the night before. I feel that as well as a shortage of staff, this kind of problem filters down from management and a bit more training might be in order.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank PippapG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport-on-Severn
Gainsborough House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bewdley

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!