“Awful Customer Care”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Awful Customer Care”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

On attending a private function at This Hotel . Two members of our group injured themselves due to a faulty floor. I raised it with a member of staff who went away & told me the procedure for making an insurance claim ! Apparently this advice came from The General Manager . I have repeatedly attempted to contact The Manager to no avail.
I / We DONT want to make a claim .
I want to make sure no one else hurts themselves again !

Looking at the threads for this hotel
it seems the previous manager was much more helpful

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank les m
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that there were incidents at an event you attended at the hotel. I have spoken with my Duty Managers who would be running such events and neither I nor they have received such comments nor have I received any correspondence or calls from you as you have implied and therefore I am unfortunately not in a position to investigate. I can however confirm that with the basic information you have given, under no circumstances is that the way in which I or any of my Managers would have dealt with the issue and therefore I would certainly ask that you contact me on either 01299 289955 or via email at louise.addis@menzieshotels.co.uk so that I may have the opportunity to investigate what happened and where it happened and any causes that could have been avoided.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Nottingham
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We used the Stourport Manor as a base for visiting the local area and having a trip on the very impressive Severn Valley Railway and had a great time.

We travel a lot and I don’t recognise the hotel described by the few people giving this hotel the thumbs down.

The hotel ticks all the required boxes and lives up to its promises. The staff are very helpful, friendly and work hard to make your stay a good one.

We made good use of the pool – our two grand children loved it. The leisure facilities are excellent.

Lastly the food and bar. We had the evening meal package which worked really well. The bar area and lounge could not be better to relax in – with plenty of room/different areas to accommodate family or couples wanting a bit of privacy.

Our thanks to the team at Stourport Manor.

UK
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hotel has some lovely grounds and nice facilities such as a great pool that our boys loved. The hotel interior is a bit tired in places but acceptable and our family room was ok if a little small with a fairly soft small double bed. The room oddly had a fair few bugs in it and for a family room was oddly positioned above the noisy reception entrance. The main things that let the hotel down are however around food and service. The good first - a meal of sandwiches and drinks in the bar was pretty good with great service from the young lad behind the bar who was cheery and helpful recommending great local Hobsons beer and saw to our every need. He needs more support from his colleagues in the kitchen though as fat chips arrived when fries were ordered and for some reason the extra fries ordered were peppered - small things but it got worse. A cream tea was delivered by a surly teenage girl without enough tea cups, any plates or a knive and the menu said clotted cream and it came with airated whipped cream. She informed us the kitchen had decided to do vanilla whipped cream - why you would swap clotted for something the customer didn't expect is a little odd - all this would of been fine if she sorted things out with a smile and some care not dagger looks! Best of all is after this episode the scones were not only cheap, cloying, dry texture but still frozen in the middle. We returned them & asked the barman to tell the kitchen and remind the girl she worked in a service industry. Consistent service and good food should be delivered in 4 star hotels but very often they don't manage it especially in chain hotels and sadly especially in the UK. I know they were busy with a wedding but our stay was marred by simple things to fix.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet family room & check size if you need space
3 Thank gswuk
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Just come back from from one night stay with our two boys age 13y, 10y plus grandparents. We have booked and all inclusive package safari bed dinner and hotel. Talked to someone called Kim. Which was fantastic. Originally booked to a different hotel which I have managed to cancelled and cond to this one. Which I am glad I've done so. The hotel was clean, food was amazing. Use the facilities swimming, sauna, jacuzzi, tennis court. Bear in mind children can't use the swimming after 7pm. We didn't mind had a full day at the safari already. Went for a early swimming at 7h30 am. Just before breakfast. Nice and quiet.
Food was delicious, well cooked include in the price starters son course and pudding. Good portion. Breakfast buffet style good selection of pastry, fruits, cereal and cooked breakfast. Overall had an amazing time. We would go there again. Remember speak to Kim directly, had a good deal on all inclusive. Very polite and pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mimie070
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I have recently completed a 3 night stay at this hotel in room 44 (8,9,10 Aug 13) on arrival we were welcomed by a very nice receptionist and were glad that we had chosen this hotel for our mini break but I am afraid that's we're our enjoyment ended.Within 10 minutes of being in our room we were greeted with the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke,after investigation we found that the stench was coming from the room below (our window was open when we entered the room) I then looked down and saw someone leaning out of the window smoking in the room below.I called down to reception and reported this but the person continued to chain smoke late into the night and as the room had no air conditioning of any kind we had to suffer an extremely uncomfortable night as we were unable to have our window open.The following morning at 05.30 we were awoken by the very unpleasant stench of cigarette smoke AGAIN ! But this time coming from our bathroom and on this occasion this was due to the person in the room next door smoking in their bathroom and as we had no extractor fan in the bathroom had no way of getting rid of this stench.When we came down to breakfast we complained to the receptionist who said she would report this to the duty manager,we also asked her if it was possible to supply us with a fan to which she did.This horrible stench continued throughout our stay and I made complained on several occasions but nothing changed.Everytime we were in our room we had to have our bathroom door closed with a pillow against the grill in the door and our window closed with the fan aimed straight at us on full speed during our whole stay.We are extremely frequent visitors of many hotels both for business & pleasure and on average stay in hotels up and down the country at least 30 plus times a year and I am sorry to say this was our most unpleasant trip yet.The Hotel facilities were good as was the breakfast.But you will find this hotel very uncomfortable if you are a non smoker as the hotel had no extractor fan in our bathroom or air conditioning in the room and unfortunately the hotel management do not enforce the no smoking policy and don't take any valid complaints serious.4 star badge 1 star customer service !!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justin L
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Further to our previous correspondence of Thursday 22nd August, may I once again thank you for your feedback.

As mentioned in your message, I have spoken to my Duty Manager who was aware and dealt with the complaint and they had spoken to the guest concerned who was in on your first night to advise him that the hotel is completely non smoking and that he was not to smoke in the hotel or bedroom.

I am very sorry that this detracted from your stay with us and I do hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to Menzies Stourport Manor in the near future so that we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My daughter, Lily 14 years of age, Cornwall county 800m champion and a National standard athlete was competing at the Alexander Stadium Birmingham (a big race). Last year we chose a Hotel in Birmingham, this year I found the Stourport Manor a four star with a Jacuzzi/swimming pool. This appeared to make sense as Lily could enjoy the benefits of the spa after a long journey pre and post race.

Booking the hotel was not easy over the internet as availability and price seemed erratic, so spoke direct to a new member of staff who was very patient and determined to get our family the best deal, she was also aware of our reason for traveling to Stourport and not Birmingham.

On arrival we had a friendly welcome, checked into the room which would of been OK except for the leaky toilet (over the floor) and the mould on the grout and sealant in the bath area.

My two daughters and I went immediately to the spa, where we were presented with an empty pool. Lily's legs ached from the four hour journey and our other daughter had been so excited to swim, she had been pestering me all journey. When trying to collect the towels we were told "no children in the pool after 7PM", the time was 7.05pm. There was no movement on this even though there was nobody on the pool. I spoke with reception, who did not seem to have any empathy and offering "sorry but those are the rules".

On discussing our next move for the evening outside the spa, we sat at a grubby table with ashtrays full of rain water and cigarette butts, the overall condition looked like nobody cared and not that of a four star hotel.

Food quality and price inconsistent, Burger and chips at the bar approx £10 seemed best value but still expensive, restaurant average but overpriced and drinks more expensive than central London.

This is a hotel that has five star prices, is four star accredited and has a 3 star offering. Families ask for a comprehensive list of their rules before entering the spa area as their offering seems more geared up for the locals and not paying guests.

2 Thank Stephen R
London
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Booked one of the weekend break’s which was excellent value.

No complaints about the room.

The restaurant had some excellent staff, but others left a lot to be desired more interested in talking to each other than serving.

My wife’s dairy allergy was mentioned at check in, Starter and Main Course was okay but was only offered fruit salad for desert. Only when we complained on day 2 after being offered fruit salad again did the kitchen do pancakes which my wife suggested using soya milk which where very tasty.

We would stay there again because it is good value

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveling_Welshman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport-on-Severn
Hogarths Stone Manor
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
#5 of 8 in Bromsgrove

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!