“Dirty and poor value” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Great Torrington, United Kingdom
“Dirty and poor value”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Well its been two and a half months i dont suppose the manager is going to call me now! He called a few days after we left a long list of complaints at reception and promised to write/call within the week with details of how the faults had been put right and said "we would really like you to come and stay with us again".
The room was a superior double, the only one left for that weekend. It was on 2 levels, the bedroom upstairs and the bathroom downstairs with a small "living room". The sash window in the bedroom was broken and someone had gone to massive lengths not to fix the sash but to fashion a price of wood into a prop to keep the window from closing, it even had the room number written on it and it was chained to the window frame !!
The room had damp patches on the walls but otherwise was fine.
My wife and I had some time to kill so we went for a walk in the gardens. There is a pathway in the front garden that they appeared to use for wedding photos, my wife stepped on a loose slab on the steps and fell over!
Under the centre piece of this pathway there were some steps going down to a closed doorway, this was full of broken glass and rubbish that had been there for ages, not pleasant and so easily fixed.
The remainder of the downstairs of the hotel just looked tired and reminded me of an old peoples home !
Breakfast the following morning was grim. The sausages i was about to tuck into were uncooked, fortunately my wife cut one open and spotted it, the manager agreed they werent cooked and apologised - the wedding party near to us were all tucking in, i hope they were ok !!
So anyway we wont be going back here, shame as the rest of the weekend was brilliant !!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Richard H
Helen H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Please accept my apologies that you were not contacted further to your stay, I have recently joined as the Hotel General Manager and would be interested to discuss your issues privately if you would like to call or email me on 01299 289955 or email helen.hall@menzieshotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Had a very enjoyable stay last week at Menzies Stourport, very good value will definitely go back! Great room No 65-very clean just like the photo re décor!
Disappointed with standard of 3 course meal ( would have complained if I had come & paid the full price!)-staff are very friendly but definitely could do with in house training especially at breakfast-hot breakfast can be self service!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and that you had a good stay with us, my apologies that you were disappointed with the meal, perhaps you could let me know what we can do better so that you can get 100% satisfaction on your next visit
Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

A pleasant hotel in a nice area, but in need of a little TLC in places; some of the interior decor a little jaded, and a staircase that smelt of damp and smoke. On the plus side, excellent dinner and breakfast, although the service was a little slow.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay in general and you found the food to be of a high standard which is what we aim for, I take on board your comments regarding an area of damp, this is an old building and we have an ongoing maitnenance programme to keep it in good shape. Apologies if the service was slow, we aim for a relaxed style but I appreciate that does not work for everyone.
Yeovil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The entrance to the hotel is impressive at night with a light lined avenue through the trees, the hotel looks like an older manor with a new hotel glued on the end, but functional. The man who checked us in was friendly and helpful. The room we were given was clean and well decorated if a little small, however, that end of the hotel was very hot. We asked about it but apparently that end of the hotel catches the sun during the day and doesn't cool down much in the evening. We were provided with a fan. Didn't sleep that well because of the heat, although a wedding party coming back to their rooms in the early hours didn't help with that either, although that is not the hotels fault. The shower was not that functional in that your choice was hot, hotter or off, all without too much power and that didn't help much with the heat problem. There was free wifi, which is handy when you cant sleep! The hotel is easy to get to from the main roads, although the sign says something slightly different, so we went past it and had to turn around and go back.

Room Tip: In the summer, avoid getting a hotel down the far end (away from the manor part). Its hot.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments further to your recent stay, I hope that we will see you again soon.
Joe from S.Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I always look forward to the bargains from Travel Zoo, particularly now that my wife and I are just about retired. The latest being a trip to Stourport, staying at the Menzies Stourport Manor.
The hotel is fronted by a very impressive looking manor, although many of the rooms are in adjoining annexes, This is not a problem and the room we were given was just off the main reception. The room was clean, with plenty of hanging space, a comfortable bed and easy chairs to sit if you wanted a quite read, The bathroom was clean and not showing any signs of the problems others have mentioned.
The hotel itself is nicely furnished and has a spa which is free to use for guests. In fact I had a nice swim in the warm pool one afternoon after our day of exploring. The food was fantastic value for the deal we had, a three course meal and breakfast every day. The cheese board we had instead of a sweet is particularly special. The staff in the restaurant were superb and attentive, even though they were rushed off their feet with a wedding. If we had to wait a little longer to be served they apologized, but in some ways we prefer a little break between courses anyway. I wonder sometimes why people are so intolerant.
if I have to be picky I would say that the serving arrangements for the hot food at breakfast could be improved, just a single girl serving up to 8-10 people queuing for the hot food is not really efficient. In most hotels we've stayed at the breakfast is self service. Incidentally, everything else in the breakfast meal is self service, so you can get your cereals, toast, juices etc. and choose the best time to go for your hot food.
Nevertheless, we would certainly go back again, particularly if this sort of deal comes along again.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room, which was very handy for the lounge, dining room and bar,
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caspajack
Helen H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments, I am glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon. Please check our website for special offers.

Regards

Helen
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

My heart sank when I pulled into the carpark - although the publicity pictures carefully screen it out, the hotel appears to be 10% "country manor house" as described on the website, and 90% tasteless modern extension.
Fortunately, my rooms were in the original part of the building - yes rooms. Having booked a cheap travelzoo deal, I had a generously sized suite with a large bedroom and separate sitting room. Clean, decoration OK, the room/suite was great, well beyond my expectations.

Rooms apart, the restaurant was not great - maybe the best advice is to order freshly cooked food from the 'grill' section of the menu. I ate quite early in the evening, yet I'm not sure how long or frequently the potato dauphinoise had been reheated. Far from being a creamy potato dish with a caramelised top, the top and bottom centimetre or so were brittle and crunchy, with a thin slice of edible potato in between.
Despite the voucher being for two and travelling solo, so after effectively paying for two meals and being served an inedible one, the hotel attempted to charge a supplement for the meal.

Restaurant bar service indifferent elsewhere - after requesting afternoon tea in the lounge, I waited half an hour before being asked if I wanted tea of coffee (and no choice of teas offered).
At breakfast, I was told that there was a cooked buffet, but someone would return to see if I wanted anything cooked fresh - after the meal of the previous evening, I opted for poached haddock, but gave up on waiting for someone to come and take my order after 20 minutes of trying to attract waiting staffs' attention, and went to the restaurant reception area to place the order. There were many staff about, but they were more focussed on clearing tables & setting them for lunch than whether anyone needed service.

Booking was odd too - I phoned and made the booking, ans was called back shortly afterwards with confirmation. I was told that the booking reference would be emailed; I didn't receive an email, so emailed the hotel to check the booking, but didn't get a response or confirmation. I wouldn't have required email confirmation, but having been told to expect one, it was a bit disconcerting not to receive it.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the main hotel - 66 & 67 both appeared to be suites rather than single rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Fr0glet
Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I used this facility to stay in as I was in the area for business purposes.

Check in was a fairly painless experience.

Room:
Shoddy to be honest we you. As you will see from my photos, the room was in dire need of a deep clean. Dust was abundant along with the mould in the bathroom. The catch on the window was broken and I see this is a theme in other rooms and corridors. Security of guests must be a priority?

Bar:
Service was hit and miss, you could be fortunate to have bar staff one day and then finding yourself in a deserted bar the next wondering if staff would appear like Mr Benn.
Prices were absolutely out of this world and I don't mean cheap, I mean out of this world on another planet. Nearly £5 for a pint, really guys? I know this is a hotel but it doesn't give you any justification to put on a mask, point a musket and demand you stand and deliver.

Meal area:
Fairly reasonable, only took Breakfast here as my Bank Manager wouldn't give me a loan to fund the food prices.

Summary:
All in all it was cheap and you get what you pay for. I'm presuming that the only reason that this hotel gets its over assessed four star rating is because of the sports facilities of which I didn't sample the delights.

My tip would be to just sleep here. For meals, use the pub about 5 minutes walk down the bank. The pub is half the price of the hotel and thats for food and drink and the quality on offer far outstrips the half baked options you are likely to encounter back at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Helen H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for posting your review in respect of your recent stay with us I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in certain areas and I am sorry that you did not have the opportunity to speak to us directly in respect of this and would comment as follows.

In respect of the bathroom I am not sure exactly which room you are referring to but I can confirm that as of the end of last week every single bathroom has been re-grouted and all the mastic replaced and the preventive maintenance of this is on- going. Your comments on the window handle will be reviewed and have ensure every window can be securely fastened is old we have never had issues with security.

I was surprised by your comment that it cost £5.00 for a pint as all our draught beer including two local real ales is under £3.75.

In respect of breakfast pricing, albeit most of our rates are inclusive of breakfast our current charge is considerably lower than our peer group in the four -star market and in general receive very positive comments regarding the breakfast that we offer.

The restaurant menu pricing and the content of our menu is available to view on our website and unfortunately we cannot compete with local hostelries who offer a meal and a drink for under £7.00 per person, however a 3 course dinner including coffee can purchases at the time of your reservation for £15.00 which we deem excellent value for money.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport-on-Severn
Gainsborough House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bewdley

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!