“Great rooms. Poor dinner.”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Devon, United Kingdom
“Great rooms. Poor dinner.”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

huge room. V good staff. Great walk on the moor outside the front entrance.

Poor dinner - avoid the meal deal - DBB. The quality of food was poor & food over cooked.

Highly recommended hotel & thank u for great service & a smart room.

• Stayed April 2013
Helen H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback, so sorry you didn't enjoy the food, next time you stay please see one of the management team to discuss any special requests you have and I'm sure the chef will accommodate.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

It was a depressing November day and I had recently returned from sunny Tunisia. Then the e-mail arrived from the Menzies's Hotels. I came across this small group two or three years ago and ~ I have been impressed as a 'value for money' destination. OK, it wasn't going to be in the sun, but a few days away in the UK after Xmas for a song was too much too resist. I chose this hotel as we used to live in the town. It is 4* and has a pool and from £35 a night for a room was a bargain. I chose between Xmas and the New Year. I added breakfast and dinner for £25 per person. A common denominator in the Menzies group is friendly staff and this hotel was not an exception. The room was on the small side, but with all mod coms and comfortable; the pool could do with a face lift, but is perfectly acceptable, there was adequate parking and as I already knew, plenty of interest in the area. The buffet breakfast was A1, although on the second day, the plates for the full English breakfast could have been warmer. While dinner was OK, I have had better there, but I put this down to the time of year. Whereas the waiting staff were totally acceptable, some members were a little below par (again I put this down to the time of year) and with some training the minor errors (I mean they were of no consequence, but, I expect better from a 4 star hotel) would have been eradicated. However, all-in-all a good stay. However, there is a good pub a few minutes away and next time I shall be investigating that for at least one evening.

Room Tip: The hotel is popular for weddings. I have stayed in the past on a Saturday night and sleep was distu...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JPA38210
Thank you for choosing us for your stay, whilst we are all for promoting the local community, don't go to the pub too often, we serve great bar meals and our drinks prices compare well with the local area. Hope to see you soon.
Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

A group of us went to the party night on Friday 13th December which we usually do and normally have a fantastic evening. This time we were squashed into the room which had far too many people in it. As for the food the waiters came round with the turkey/beef then we had to wait for 10 mins for the vegetables and another 5 for the gravy but the time we had our meals they were cold and the portions were tiny. Then followed a fight - ok you can't hold the hotel responsible for this however the DJ was calling for security - they didn't have any. They had crammed so many tables in the dance floor was very small and could only fit about 40 people on however there were hundreds of people in the room. Later on there were 2 more fights one in the bar and one outside when the riot police had to come. All in all it was a very disappointing evening and not a scratch on what we normally have there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen D
Helen H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for your review further to attending the Christmas Party last Friday, please accept my apologies for any disappointment with the food and service, portion size I believe to be subjective as we have not had any negative comments in this respect. I am sorry if the food was not hot enough, this is sent straight from the kitchen without delay.

I feel so bad for the guests who came to have a genuinely good time which was ruined by grown adults who have no idea how to behave in civilised society, how proud their family and friends must be!!!

One of our own staff was assaulted by a man who certainly should know better and I'm sad for the people who had their night ruined.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My family and I had Sunday Lunch here today - it wasn't bad value for money - 3 course carvery, with a 'gift' from Santa and a kids disco, but there were a few things lacking which would prevent be doing so again. The room was absolutely freezing as they had the air con on full blast (in the middle of December!) despite asking several times for it to be turned down, it only appeared cooler around desert time.

Starters were a little strange - either tomato and basil soup (which tasted like packet soup) or buffet food - strange pepper salad, coleslaw, prawns, bread rolls or chicken wraps (more like a sandwich bar).

The lunch was fine - meat was lovely, turkey, beef or pork but the veg, stuffing and potatoes were very obviously frozen and then fried/boiled so had little taste.

The kids had a disco, party games with sweetie prizes and a 'gift' i.e. cheap activity book from Tesco from Santa. Signed announced photo's with Santa were £10.00 each or you could take your own with your mobile.......errm, no brainer really!!

Pudding was nice - profiteroles, chocolate fudge cake or lemon pie with ice cream for the kids, waiting staff were a bit half soaked (young kids) with working out who had had what, and spent time wondering around aimlessly with puddings nobody had ordered.

We were asked at the end of the meal whether we would like coffee, we did but wish we hadn't bothered. Not only was it bitter but it hadn't been made clear to us it wasn't included with the meal and we had to pay extra for it - not happy.

Mediocre food which would not inspire us to try the restaurant - half soaked waiting staff and a freezing cold room with a friendly santa and rip off photo opportunity. Shame, not what we hoped it would be. We'd have been better off having lunch at home (with fresh soup and fresh veg) and the kids dancing to MTV.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments, I'm sorry you were disappointed, I think "half soaked" is a little harsh regarding the staff but I appreciate this post may have been written in the heat of the moment. I'm glad you enjoyed the desserts and I hope we gain restore your faith in the future
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here, there were 40 of us. We all enjoyed our stay. When we checked in our room was on the third floor and they had no lift so I requested a ground floor room due to the fact my mum wouldn't be able for the stairs and it was changed without any bother. All staff really polite and helpful. We attended their themed party night for dinner,the meal was lovely. Our room was nice and clean but the heating was on high that we were passing out with the heat. Breakfast was delish and there was plenty choice. All in all I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay and Christmas Party, I'm so pleased you had a great time. I have asked maintenance to look at the heating controls in the room to ensure this doesn't affect future guests.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Picked up a good deal for a one night DBB stay. I would agree with previous comments that the hotel is looking a little tired in some areas but this did not spoil the overall experience. All of the staff were very attentive, the food was of a good standard and the leisure facilities were excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Helen H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on Trip Advisor, it's great to see you enjoyed your stay. Keep checking our website for future offers.
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The guest room was large and comfortable with what looks like a recently refurbished bathroom. Rates were OK and the lounge food of a reasonable quality and price - as was the beer. Staff are welcoming and friendly.
However, who's heard of a 4 star restaurant running out of vinegar? Didn't the GM think of despatching somebody to the local store for a couple of bottles of Sarsons?
Apparently the hotel has just been transferred to Bespoke Hotels and the delivery system's changed. Eye on the ball chaps!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Helen H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us last night. Please accept my apologies for the oversight with regard to the vinegar, you are absolutely right, there is no excuse and I have already taken measures to ensure this doesn't happen again. I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport-on-Severn
Hogarths Stone Manor
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
Travelodge Kidderminster
Travelodge Kidderminster
#1 of 5 in Kidderminster

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!