“Overall - Pretty Good”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
“Overall - Pretty Good”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

My finance and I stayed here as part of a deal which included an overnight stay plus 2 course evening meal. Although in need of a bit of a spruce up in places, the hotel was very clean and the staff friendly and welcoming. Our original standard double room had a bit of damp and mould that made it smell musty, but we swapped over without any issues and were given a free upgrade to one of the hotel suites. Again, whilst a little tired in places, the swimming pool and leisure facilities were a nice addition to our stay. Our evening meal was excellent - the slow cooked blade of beef was delicious.

My only quibble - there must have been a run on the hot water in the morning, because there was none left for my shower.

The group that owns this hotel should splash a bit of cash on this place - it has the potential to be lovely. Having said that, for the deal we had it did represent good value for money and we would recommend this hotel to other potential guests. We stayed in the main part of the hotel - there is a more modern 'annex'. We didn't see the inside of the latter, but our advice would be to confirm that you are room booked in the original manor building....

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeeJayW888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Blackwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Had a one night stay here in August. Appeared quiet but it was a Sunday night.
Used the pool & spa facilities - very nice and luckily not too busy. Pleasant staff there whom were chatty, polite and made us feel welcome.

Nice room which was in the new extension. Comfy bed and there was a small annexe which had a sofa bed made up for our 12 year old with his own TV. Needless to say, he was delighted with this. The staircase towards the new extension smelled damp and on looking up, damage was on the ceiling and this was the cause of the awful odour. We managed our cases ok but lots of people may not have done and there was no offer of assistance with our luggage. There is no lift so you have to carry your cases up a staircase. Nice bathroom in our room which was very clean and in very good condition. We were at the back of the hotel and on the Monday morning, there was an awful racket from the laundry lorry collecting all the linen at approx. 8.45am. We were already up but had I not been, I wouldn't have been too amused at all.

We had sandwiches and fries in the hotel bar on Sunday. It was nice but extremely overpriced. Approx £30 for three baguettes and two small bowls of fries. The bar area was very quiet and at these prices, I'm not surprised. The fries were stone cold on arrival which at £2.95 for a small bowl is not acceptable. However the very nice waiter got replacements for us which were lovely. Drinks were also very expensive.
We had breakfast included in our room rate. It was very nice. Not a huge choice of cereals etc. but what was there was fresh and nicely presented.
Good hot buffet & lovely tea / coffee. Breakfast is definitely worth having.
Would visit again but would not choose to have food due to the cost. Check in & out very smooth and well organised. All the staff were very pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front ideally.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Margaret D
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights 9th and 10th of August and I was a little unsure what we might get as we had purchased a package ,two nights with breakfast and an evening meal on the first night plus a cream tea on the second day. Well we weren't disappointed ! We received a lovely welcome on Saturday and were very pleased with the room which was bigger than we had expected. The evening meal was lovely as was the reception in the dining room . The grounds provide enough space for a stroll and we used the pool on two occasions. Once again we felt very comfortable using these facilities which were clean and attended by friendly helpful staff.The breakfasts were very good with plenty of choice and good service. The hotel is located near to some lovely walks and we were very quickly walking down a disused railway line joining the canal and then along the banks of the river Severn ,after a lovely ice cream in the very lovely canal basin,watching barges going down through the multiple locks. I see that some reviewers comment on the age and decor, well I must say that as we walked to our room we felt a little concerned however as you can see we had a great time ,spacious clean, and great service throuought our stay ! Oh and after a rather long hike (returning a little later than planned ) we asked for our free cream tea-- a very apologetic member of staff told us that they were out of scones! Would we like cakes instead? Oh no we're on diets and exercise hence the long walks. So off he went and returned with two lovely club sandwiches with salad and frills , we were well pleased ! I think that sums up our stay, well done staff and management you got it right for us x.

Room Tip: Our room was quite large with a small table and a sofa bed so was probably a family room also it was...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here while on a works do. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel could do with some modernisation but was very clean. We both enjoyed our stay and the breakfast in the morning. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank John W
Manchester
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Enjoyed stay, food was excellent, staff excellent, rooms were clean, only negative was the room needed a makeover, a little dated and worn, didn't spoil our stay. Close by to Stour port village , lovely shops and gardens

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My Wife and I stayed at the Stourport Manor over the weekend 26th to 29th July 2014 for our wedding anniversary. The hotel is situated a few minutes walk from Stourport on Severn and is located in nice wooded surroundings overlooking the valley.

Overall the stay was very good however there were a few small things that if sorted would make it a better experience. We had booked on a weekend package deal which included bed and breakfat, dinner one evening and a cream tea. We also managed to get an extra night for the same price.

On the whole all of the staff are very polite and helpful except one particular female member who was extremely rude - whilst we were exploring the hotel near the dining room which is next to the main bar she asked me if she could help - fair enough. When I said I was just looking thankyou and waiting for the barman she said that she could serve me - my response was "Oh can you also serve at the bar?" as I thought she was working in the dining room. Her sarcastic response "Yes I think I can I am 25". Not a good start, wish I had said something at the time too shocked. Reception staff were very helpful and went out there way to fulfil all our requests on arrival.

The food both at breakfast and the dinner was good with a reasonable menu choice. Dinner was arranged for night of our anniversary, big thank you to the management for providing free glass of bubbly for our anniversary dinner. Dinner was nearly spoilt by kind genleman who thought it appropriate to remove his footwear and walk around dining room barefoot - his wife/partner then got stroppy when we asked him to put his shoes back on. Manager confirmed that this was against hotel policy and someone should have told him before us - bit late. Buffet Breakfast very tasty and not too busy.

The room was booked as a superior room which incurred a £20 per room per night supplement - unfortunately at the time of the booking we were not aware that room 69 was over two floors - lounge and toilet downstairs and bedroom and wardrobes etc upstairs. Stairs very narrow and winding whcih meant movement difficult. Toilet and upstairs could do with some redecorating as decor is getting old, cracked tiles and broken window. Main issues was no air conditioning or a fan. View not very good as room over looked top of other hotel rooms. Bed very comfortable. If I had known at the time of arrival that the wife had upgraded and it cost £20 per night I would have asked for another room.

The maid kept the room tidy as possible but did not provide enough tea/coffee makings as we had to ask every day for extra - if the hotel know the room is booked for two or more nights this needs to be passed onto housekeeping so that enough supplies are available.

As I have said we still enjoyed our stay despite the little issues above, the hotel is situated in a good location for the Severn Valley Railway at Kiddeminster. Stourport is also a very nice town with an old fun fair. Just a shame that these small issues prevent the hotel being a lot better.

Room Tip: Room 69 is a superior room but does not have a good outlook as you look over building tops. It is a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Leicester
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked a weekend break as a surprise treat to celebrate our anniversary. Decided on Stourport Manor as it was close enough to 'dash' to after work and an area we have never been to before.

I spoke with the hotel before arrival to arrange flowers and wine in our room upon arrival. Check in was extremely efficient and the flowers that the hotel had arranged were beautiful. The room was large, clean and well maintained, although I guess the bathroom will be due for a revamp in the near future.

We ate in the restaurant on the first night as well as breakfast on each of the 2 mornings. The food choice, quality and service was excellent and unrushed despite dining quite late on our day of arrival.

Stourport Manor has excellent facilities with a pool, sauna, spa, steam room, gym and tennis courts for the active ane great relaxing areas with a good selection of books and games.

All in all we had a wonderful weekend and are already thinking of when we can return and explore more of the surrounding area

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport-on-Severn
Mercure Bewdley The Heath Hotel
Travelodge Kidderminster
Travelodge Kidderminster
#1 of 5 in Kidderminster
The Southcrest Manor Hotel

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!