“Not what it claims to be!”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
London, United Kingdom
“Not what it claims to be!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

This hotel does not earn the 4-stars it claims on its own website, but has more in common with a budget travel inn. In simple terms, it is a pleasant place to pass a night - it is clean internally (although the driverway was covered in fag butts and rubbish right up to the door), and relatively comfortable.

It is an eye-sore, the majority of it being a nasty '80s extension, and the furniture in the rooms is tacky, the bathroom minute and the 'tea facilities' below par in an establishment that wishes to be 4-star and charge accordingly. Breakfast, bar the genuinely exceptional home-made Cranberry Juice, was cafeteria poor, cold and uninspiring. The large car-park creates the view for the majority of rooms, a great shame when there's a cracking Worcestershire countryside only yards away.

A functional location, but not worth the money. You'd be better off staying in the local Travelodge, which guarantees value for money.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
CharlesMorgan, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 29 May 2009
I am very disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay at Menzies Stourport Manor and I am somewhat surprised by your review. Please accept my apologies for the cigarette debris at the front door; we make every effort to keep the area clean and tidy, however it is an ongoing problem as some guests choose to use the floor and not the ash bins provided to extinguish their cigarettes!
We have undergone a multi-million pound refurbishment of all public areas and bedrooms which I can guarantee will be of a higher quality than any budget hotel in the area, albeit our rates are comparable and often cheaper.
The breakfast buffet unit is also new and we have never had an issue or any adverse comments about the temeprature of the food before. Nonetheless we will of course monitor this very closely in the future.
I am sorry you feel you did not receive value for money at our hotel and would be delighted to discuss it futher with you.

Charles Morgan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

We had a very pleasant stay here on Saturday 16th May. We paid for a double executive room and were delighted to find that we had been upgraded to a suite in the old part of the manor house. This had a good-sized bedroom, small sitting room with comfortable sofa and chairs. Two flat screen Televisions, one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room. The bathroom was refurbished and spotlessly clean. The overhead shower was good and a sensible bathscreen plus curtain meant that, for once, the floor did not get flooded – a common problem in hotels. Our room did overlook a wet puddly flat room rather than the grounds but this was the one downside. The bed was very comfortable with a good mattress. One of the two sash windows in the room opened, the other was painted over!

The communal areas were nice and spacious and we had drinks outside on the terrace dodging the showers! There was a large wedding party booked in but we did not get any noise from the disco at all. It was fun sipping a cocktail late at night watching the wedding party enjoying themselves and admiring the outfits!

We did not eat in the evening as we were dining on the train on the Severn Valley Railway as part of a murder mystery weekend. The restaurant menu for the hotel did seem a bit limited considering the hotel is a 4 star.

The swimming pool, steam room and surrounding areas were incredibly clean and the towels provided were new. You go down to the reception area for the gym and pool, handover your room key and are given a key for a locker which you keep with you. This seems like a good system. There were hairdryers and plastic bags to put wet stuff into. My one criticism was that the Jacuzzi was not hot enough but the steam room was great. The pool was a nice size for swimming and not overheated.

Breakfast in the morning was good but fairly standard. The eggs, bacon etc are kept under hot lights buffet style but were regularly replenished. Slight disappointed that my request for blackpudding was turned down! As we were in the Midlands I was looking forward to this 

The staff, in general, were pleasant and the receptionist, Debbie, very helpful. She seemed genuinely concerned that we should have a good stay. One quirk was, that in trying to get back into our room at 10:15am after breakfast, we had been automatically looked out and neither of our keys would work. This was quickly rectified but Debbie explained that the auto-locking system should turn on at 11am which is the checking out time.

All in all, I would stay there again – although I think the evening menu would have to be more varied in order for me to try it.

The Severn Valley Murder Mystery was great fun – more of that in a separate review!

1 Thank St-Lucia_Enthusiast
CharlesMorgan, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 20 May 2009
Please accept my whole hearted thanks for your kind and detailed review of our hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I would be very interested to discuss your comments regarding the restaurant menu further - we offer a wide range of dishes on our A La Carte menu. The night that you stayed with us we were also running a reduced menu for a larger group of guests who were also dining in the restaurant.
Please accept my apologies for the lack of black pudding - this has now been resolved!
We have also reset the timeclocks on the card activated locks to ensure they are valid until checkout at 11am. I have passed on my thanks to Debbie for looking after you so well.
I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Menzies Stourport Manor Hotel in the near future.

warwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

we booked this deal on the saturday morning direct with the hotel and got it much cheaper than the deal on the web. staff vey helpful especially in the restaurant. room very nice but was a small double, that was the only downside leisure facilities very good pool clean and never very busy. food in the restaurant was very good especially evening dinner. would go back again

1 Thank karenWarwickshire
CharlesMorgan, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 19 May 2009
Thank you very much for your kind review of Menzies Stourport Manor Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend us to other travellers. I note your comments about the size of your bedroom and can confirm you were booked into a standard double. For a small supplement we do offer superior doubles, executive rooms and suites. I do hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel. Thank you once again for your review.

South of the border
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

The place as a whole is nice, and in very pleasant location; overlooking Stourport-On Severn.
If you like consistent loudish music, the gym is the place to go; I complained once-but to no avail!!
The background music in the restaurant must be on a single CD ( maybe the only one in the whole hotel) as the same music played in the morning for breakfast, and in the evening for dinner as well; so by the third night it tended to grate somewhat.
The evening meal menu was limited, 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 sweets, if my memory serves me; shame really as the food was well cooked. Maybe the portions could have been a bit bigger as well.
Only half the rooms were occupied during my visit and on one evening there were only 4 of us in for dinner, not a good sign.
I would go back there certainly, but with the hope of a more adventurous menu-please

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Byvale
Thank you for taking the time to review the Menzies Stourport Manor Hotel. I note your comments regarding the music in the restaurant and this has now been rectified. I was also very interested in your feedback about the menu. I have since discussed this in detail with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager and we have now completely overhauled the style, content and size of the menu. We now offer an A La Carte menu with 7 choices of starter, main course and dessert. The menu will change on a regular basis to ensure seasonality and freshness of produce. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and thank you once again for your constructive comments.

Gamrie in Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

My husband and I stayed two nights. It is a lovely hotel in a charming rural location. Our room was a good size and was very clean, as was the en suite. The facilities included a gym and swimming pool. The only disappointment was the quality of food and selection in the restaurant wasn't great. The breakfasts were the usual full English option but we had th hang around waiting for the bacon etc. to be replenished. That said, I had a lovely stay and we found it to be good value for money. I would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Gamrie
Thank you very much for your kind review. Please accept my apologies for the quality and provision of food in the restaurant and the delay for bacon in the morning at breakfast. We have now completely overhauled the menu and restaurant operation and we now offer a much larger selection of dishes for starters main courses and desserts. I do hope you will return to try out our new menu!! Thank you again.

Wirral
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

My husband and I stayed for two nights in March. The bar areas are pleasantly decorated and spacious. The food was good at breakfast and the one dinner included in the package but a price of £21.95 per person was quoted by reception if we wanted to eat there the second night. We thought this was expensive, especially as we had read in previous reviews the cost was only £10.00 per person in November.

The room was cold when we arrived as the heating was not on, even though the weather was very cold. When we told reception, we were just told the heating is programmed to come on at 4 o'clock, with no apology for the cold room! The least guests should expect when arriving at a hotel is that their room is warm and welcoming. There were two drawers broken on the dressing table and one light wasn't working. We didn't bother to report these, after reporting the cold room and not getting a good response. During the night we had to put a towel at the bottom of the single glazed window, as it was very draughty!

At breakfast, there was loud music playing and I asked if it could be turned down. I was told it wasn't possible to turn it down and would it be a problem if it was left as it was. The service was very good from the staff but we felt let down by this.

Stourport is not a pleasant-looking town but we enjoyed a trip on the Severn Valley Railway from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth. Having stayed at other Menzies hotels, we don't think we would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wirralean
CharlesMorgan, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, 22 May 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review Menzies Stourport Manor Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the food at breakfast and then again at dinner. With regards to your comments about the price - we have now changed the menu so that there is no longer a fixed price menu - you can choose to have anything from just a starter to a full three course meal. The price of £10 for three courses was in fact linked to an offer which you could take up if you booked dinner at the time of booking your bedroom.
We now ensure that lights and heating (where appropriate) are switched on in bedrooms prior to arrival, to ensure guests can relax and be comfortable as quickly as possible. Please also accept my apologies for the maintenance issues in your bedroom, which have now been rectified.
Stourport town is continually undergoing re-development, in order that it can become as beautiful and inviting as its neighbours, Bewdley, Worcester and Great Malvern to name but a few.
Thank you once again for your constructive review.

Bedfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2008

We have just returned from a lovely relaxing weekend with friends at the Stouport Manor. The hotel has recently undergone major refurbishments and looks great. We were greeted at Reception by Debbie who was very helpful and friendly, recommening the Severn Tandoori Restauant in Stourport, booking a table for us and sorting out a taxi.
We booked a meal in the restaurant for Saturday night which was superb - a three course meal with coffee for £10.00 per person.
The pool and leisure facilities are very good with the use of Jaccuzi and steam room it was very relaxing.
Overall we had a fantastic weekend and would thoroughly recommend the Stourport Manor

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport-on-Severn
Gainsborough House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bewdley

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!