“A TRULY SPECIAL WEDDING VENUE”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Reviewed 20 November 2009

We got married at Stourport Manor on 1st August. I do not usually find time to write reviews but I felt I should make an exception in this case. I have to say that everyone was really helpful and made you feel like their only customer; this included the Manager, the duty manager, the Wedding co-ordinator and all the staff. Nothing was too much trouble and no request was made to feel silly.

The venue itself is lovely with romantic gardens and has very recently been refurbished to a very high standard. The restaurant is lovely (and made a great reception room) and the food was yummy.

The rooms have also been refurbished and are tastefully decorated with comfy beds. Guests found that the room prices were very reasonable for a 4 star hotel and everyone was more than pleased with the standards.

I would recommend this hotel as a place to stay for a short break as the only thing stopping us from doing so is the fact that we only live round the corner!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2009

Wow! Thank you so much for the glowing report of Menzies Stourport Manor. We're planning to be the best in this area and I was really pleased that your review will help us to achieve this!

Even if you live just around the corner, perhaps we'll see you here again very soon?

Regards

Patrick Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed 2 November 2009

My partners son and his wife booked us into this hotel for 2 nights as a birthday treat for my partner. We were under the impression that the bedrooms were part of the manor house but infact the were on a complex built on the side, A bit like a classier travelodge. The rooms were very clean, although the actual furniture a little dated. Our room had an abundance of tea/coffee/chocolate but never any milk or sugar! heyho

There were nice toiletries in the bathroom, but getting the toilet to flush was a bit of a nightmare!

Dinner was included in the first night stay, the restaurant was pleasent and the food was very good, especially the bread rolls!

Breakfast was good too....

the grounds were stunning and the views were out of this world. On the whole I wouldn't reccomend this hotel for an important occassion, but as a stop gap it was ideal

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of Menzies Stourport Manor. It's always difficult to show every aspect of the hotel in photographs but, as you experienced, whilst our bedrooms are adjoined to the main house, they are good quality 4-star standard - and just refurbished too! Perhaps I don't quite agree about the lodge style but that's mainly because you'll always enjoy the tranquillity of our rural location with easy access to Worcester, Stourport and Kidderminster. I was really pleased with your review of our food as this is such a highlight of many of our guests' stays. We do hope to see you here again soon,

Regards

Reviewed 23 October 2009

This trip had originally been planned for July, but work got in the way. Because of the terms of the booking, Menzies central reservations wouldn't entertain any alterations, but contacting the hotel resulted in a change of date being agreed -- a real positive.

The hotel has lovely grounds, and the rooms are fine: they're clean, large enough, and the decor is modern (even if the furniture isn't quite so up to date). The staff were friendly and helpful. The pool is fairly small, but perfectly adequate

Our rate included dinner both nights. The meal on the second night was much better than the first. Whether this was because a different chef was on, because the restaurant was much quieter, or because we just made better choices, I'm not sure. There was some confusion over whether a bottle of wine was included. Either there are too many different rates which include different things, or the staff aren't up to speed with what guests are being offered.

Breakfast was fine, with a reasonable selection. For some reason, though, it took an inordinate amount of time for tea and toast to arrive. The staff didn't seem to know which table to take anything to.

All in all, quite a nice hotel which could be even better if all the staff were fully up to speed.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your really useful comments about your stay at Menzies Stourport Manor. They're a great help to me in providing direction and guidance to my team. Friendliness is always a strong point of this hotel, which is in the spirit of our hospitality. I was pleased that generally you enjoyed your visit and I hope that we'll see you here again soon.

Reviewed 26 September 2009

We wanted a quiet autumn break & really couldn't have chosen better. The hotel is set in rural grounds, with tennis, gym & a (moderately-sized) pool, along with sauna & jacuzzi - all free. The rooms are large, comfortable & well-equipped, and although there were a few business conferences in, we had no problem at all with noise from other rooms & corridors . Breakfasts were huge, although the standard of service was tremendously variable (esp. one very dozy waiter!) Generally the staff were very friendly & helpful. The restaurant menu looked good & wasn't too pricey, but, if, like us, you're on a tight budget, there's a very good Two for One Restaurant 5 minutes away on the A449.
We didn't know Worcestershire at all & were very impressed by the scenery & amount of things to see - NT properties, gardens, craft centres etc.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
anglosuisse71, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2009

I was glad to read your review of Menzies Stourport Manor and thank you for providing interesting feedback for others! You're right, Worcestershire has so much to offer, so I hope that we'll see you back here in the near future. As for our brasserie, let's hope we can provide some tempting offers for you next time.

Best wishes

Reviewed 5 September 2009

We returned to the Manor after a minor hiccup on our previous visit and were treated to an upgrade to Room 67 a suite, the same one as St Lucia Enthusiast by the description.
(Photos to follow) and then we went on the same murder mystery trip (seperate reveiw to follow).
The suite is great, very roomy,clean with a comfy bed and a lovely big bath.
A huge step up from the standard rooms, if you're going there as a special treat then try and afford the upgrade.
Restaurant service was, as usual,excellent and the menu diverse.
We needed help choosing wine and the manager was more than willing to advise and her choice for us was spot on.
Food was well cooked,though I think 6 chunky chips with the steak is a bit stingey.
The desserts will leave you spoiled for choice.
Breakfast is a buffet affair but we were asked if we wanted eggs other than the fried on offer and we had freshly poached eggs, although I didn't think much to the sausage and the baked beans were VERY baked (on).
We then spent the morning at the leisure club and after that had some lunch and a relaxing afternoon before changing and leaving for our murder mystery evening

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
CharlesMorgan, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2009

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to us and that the complimentary upgrade we offered was so succesful. Thank you for your comments about dinner and breakfast. I do hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Stourport Manor Hotel in the future.

General

Reviewed 24 August 2009

We stayed at the Stourport Manor last week for 5 nights and found it a very mixed experience. I booked the hotel directly by phone as the website doesn't allow family rooms to be booked on line. Despite the 'best price guarantee' quoted on the website, the woman I spoke to in reservations said immediately that it was unlikely she would be able to match any internet prices I had found..... That being said she proceeded to quote exactly the same price as laterooms.co.uk were offering. I felt the price to be good value for money for a 4 star hotel.

On arrival after a long journey with fractious children, we were first of all told that a single room had been booked (for 4 of us), and at a higher rate than the one quoted to me when I booked! The helpful and efficient girl on reception soon sorted us out with a room at the correct rate with a double, a single and an extra bed (brought later by a very helpful and incredibly hard working Polish Assistant Manager). The room was squashed for 4 of us, and the double bed seemed very small - but maybe we are just used to king sized beds these days! The room was however clean and nicely furnished.

It was annoying to discover that there was no lift to the 1st floor where we were though and no help with the enormous amounts of luggage my wife had packed seemed available. I don't know how we would have managed if we had been older/less fit.

Having kept the kids quiet in the car with the promise of a swim on arrival, we weren't too impressed to find a notice on arrival saying that the leisure centre was closing early (at 6pm) that night. This meant no swim was possible for us.

The food was of high quality, and good value for the price we had paid. We were however a bit fed up with the same menu every night for 5 nights. Some variety - even one different dish per night would have made a huge difference. Service was very friendly if a little slow at times. All the staff were great though. We did count at least three people who were brand new and being shown the ropes - no problem, but it did make us wonder why there was such a high percentage (?a majority) of new staff.

On dinner on our last night we felt really sorry for the Assistant Manager who was very ably waiting on in the restaurant on his own!! I seriously considered getting up to help. Apparently 2 members of staff had phoned in sick that day. He did do an incredible job though!

Breakfasts were OK, although finishing serving at 9.30 wasn't ideal when we are on holiday as opposed to staying on business. 10.00 would have made the mornings so much easier. Of interest was the various different ways in which breakfast was produced - one morning a self service buffet, the next the same buffet but you were served and not allowed to help yourself, and the next no buffet, but plated food served from the kitchen!

The hotel was clean throughout, but some maintainence issues needed attending to. On our first morning we reported to reception that out toilet wouldn't flush properly and the curtains were coming off the track at one end. That night neither had been sorted. After telling reception again, our helpful Polish Assistant Manager appeared and sorted the curtains. The toilet still hadn't been sorted by the time we left.

Our overall conclusion was that the hotel was clearly very quiet and that staffing had been cut back just that bit too far to try to save costs. This was having an impact on service. That being said, we had an OK time and felt we got reasonable value for money.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a well-balanced and comprehensive review of The Stourport Manor Hotel. I have read the review carefully and will endeavour to respond to each of your points in turn.

The hotel operates a 'rate parity' scheme whereby rates available on the internet are the same as rates quoted directly at the hotel - I have however re-iterated this to the hotel reservations team. Please accept my apologies that we did not have the correct details of your booking upon arrival, but I am pleased to note it was rectified as quickly and efficiently as possible. We should also be offering luggage assistance as a standard practice.

I fully understand your comments regarding variety at dinner and we therefore now provide a separate menu which changes on a daily basis when we have guests staying for a longer duration. I am delighted you enjoyed the food and felt it was well priced. We alter breakfast service depending upon how many guests we have staying in the hotel. Where possible we do like to serve food fresh from the kitchen.

We have now introduced a new method of logging and rectifying maintenance issues so that any faults can be resolved as quickly as possible.

We endeavour to have sufficient staff available to ensure all of our guests' needs are met and I apologise if you felt this was not the case during your stay. I will review this with my senior team for the future.

I do hope if you are in the area you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 20 August 2009

Having booked last minute we secured a reasonable rate of £79 inc breakfast. Having read other reviews I did "um and ah" a little bit about this hotel but as it was so well placed and we wanted a pool, I booked.

Firstly, the leisure centre is great being clean, uncrowded and all in all a real pleasure to use. A big gym, weights centre and even squash and tennis courts.

The breakfast is good with prompt service and a hotplate type service. All in all I would say the breakfast was above average and the traffic light system implemented to show when it is busy is a good idea. We ate at 8.15 and it was a breeze but I can see that at 9am it would be a nightmare.

My only gripes are that although the hotel has 4 stars, I felt that it lacked a bit for this such as no room service available and in particular the room was not as clean as it could have been. It was nothing so bad as to move rooms (only staying one night and didnt want the hassle) but the carpet had not been vacumned throughly, a bit dusty here and there and the bathroom was not as clean as it good be. We were given a fruit bowl in the room but unfortunately most of this was in no state to be ate.

I had been impressed b the fact that the Manager had responded to customers personally on this site and thus decided to email my comments direct before posting to this site. It is a disappointment that I have not yet received a reply.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed the leisure facilities and that the newly implemented traffic light system ensured breakfast was a pleasant experience. I have thoroughly reviewed how we check our bedrooms after they have been serviced to ensure basic cleanliness standards are not missed in the future. I do hope we will see you again at The Stourport Manor Hotel.

Charles Morgan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport-on-Severn
Mercure Bewdley The Heath Hotel
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
Travelodge Kidderminster
Travelodge Kidderminster
#1 of 5 in Kidderminster

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!