“Awful truly awful”

The Star Inn
London, United Kingdom
“Awful truly awful”
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I've stayed in a lot of hotels and this is by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I knew nothing about the area or town and found The Star from a Google search. The web site shows a nice quaint place to stay with reasonable room rates.

In reality the place is a dump. When I made the reservation they took only a surname, no contact details whatsoever. On arrival the dishevelled bloke couldn't find my booking, then couldn't find the key, check in was him unceremoniously passing me the key. Reception was a mess, the hallways full of chints with dindgy patches on the walls. The door lock didn't work and I was subsequently told there was a knack, that's incredibly safe. The floor boards were so squeaky that if there was an unfortunate sole below they would have torn their hair out in frustration.

Breakfast was a farce, the same guy from check in was found in the kitchen after waiting for 10 minutes in the breakfast room with no sign of anyone. It appeared he was the one who would be serving breakfast and taking one look at his appearance I was not going to eat there, especially after the state the restaurant was left in. It was a dirty mess.

As they had none of my details I could have walked out without paying at any time, And in hindsight I wish I had as they did not deserve the £60 they wanted to charge me, £50 when I said I wouldn't eat breakfast,

Stay here at your peril and then, as I did, wish you had stayed at the White Lion Hotel just up the road.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
10 Thank Eraserpm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Liverpool
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Having stayed at the Star Inn, Upton-upon-Severn for one night in March I feel some comment might be useful for others. The party consisted of me and my chum - 2 males, 55 & 61 or thereabouts - who were looking for somewhere to stay within striking distance of Cheltenham races as we were taking in the first 2 days (Tues & Wed) of the NH festival.

We'd left it a bit late to get anywhere and it was a case of taking what we could within reason. The price we were quoted was £90 b&b for the twin room. This was within reason as everywhere hikes their prices up for this week. No deposit was taken to secure the room which made for some trepidation but a phone call near to the time of booking reassured us that the booking was secure.

Given that gambling was going to feature prominently during the visit to this area it's worth stating that going into unknown territory like we were is a bit of a gamble in itself. As it turned out it was a gamble worth taking as, by and large, it was an acceptable experience.

"Slick " is not a word that you could not apply to the running of this place. When we arrived the impression was that we were very much "out of season" as the place was deserted. Our hostess soon showed up and took us to a room that had not been prepared. We were taken to an alternative on the floor below that had a dark and gloomy narrow corridor leading to it. The place is a bit warren-like. The darkness was lifted by the arrival of a chap who changed the light bulb.

The room was fine for our purpose if a bit cold. The latter was resolved by turning the radiator on. It's worth noting here that although the gloom had been lifted from the corridor, the light was now shining through the glass pane above the door to our room. This was to remain the case throughout the night. I can't remember if any attempt was made to turn it off or not, as it was it was a bit irritating.

The bar had Sky TV and real ale which ticked 2 boxes for us. It was served by our lightbulb friend. It was a bit of an odd shape with a pool table on a separate higher level. The TVs were not ideally situated. We would have stayed for the football but for the fact there was a crew of chaps in overalls who were in party mood and the music from the jukebox was coming at you at full blast.

We found a nice bar along the road that served decent food and had the football on but no real ale.

Before returning to our gaff we checked out a few of the other drinking establishments which were all agreeable enough. There seemed to be a few racing types about who could easily be engaged. All was quiet in the bar when we returned but the real ale had gone so we went over the road to the pub nearest the river and jolly good it was.

After a nice quiet night's sleep we went down for breakfast. We were the only people there. Our lightbulb friend appeared to serve us. Breakfast eventually arrived - full English - and was perfectly acceptable. No other guests appeared. In fact, other than a couple of lads who we passed on the stairs, there didn't appear to be any other guests. Odd.

So we paid our hostess on the way out and mentioned the lack of glass in the bathroom (a minor quibble). Worth mentioning that the Star has no car park but there was on-street parking (free) in close proximity.

If I was to sum up the place in one word it would be - whacky. It doesn't seem to know if it's a hotel, a pub or a restaurant. For the purpose of our visit it was suitable. The location was less than half an hour from the racecourse. No problem travelwise. Would I stay again? Yes in the same set of circumstances but only for one night. Upton-upon-severn on the other hand I would happily stay in for several nights.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank HughGethathough
David G, General Manager at The Star Inn, responded to this review, 19 June 2015
Dear HughGethathough,

I am sorry that your stay was not quite what you hoped when you attending The Star Inn & Hotel. I have just taken the position of General Manager so I am performing a restructure accordingly. I hope that you might consider coming back to stay to see the improvements and changes that have occurred.

Kind Regards
#4 of 4 in Ledbury
Mount Pleasant Hotel
Mount Pleasant Hotel
#9 of 10 in Malvern

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!