“Disappointed after reading hotels own review.”

Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bury
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We chose this hotel due to the fact that it was the reception venue for a wedding that we were attending. The hotel website made this place sound as though its a lot more special than an usual Best Western, so we thought the higher cost would be worth it. Booking and paying the deposit over the phone went well, but I did have to chase the receipt with details of what we had booked.
Check in went smoothly but the haul up the very dated, and narrow stair wells, was a task and a half. Did not feel safe with a heavy case and would not recommend for anyone not fully able. Good job my husband was strong enough! The room was clean and had all amenities but it was dated and small. We went out for the evening so did not eat in the restaurant. We tried to settle at about 11.30pm as we had a long day the following day but other guests were running in and out of rooms along the corridors banging their doors shut. It got so bad I had to bang on the neighbouring wall at 1pm to get them to stop and we had to shut our window to block out noise from the entertainment in one of the venue rooms.
Breakfast was good, both mornings,once they replenished the hot options and found some yoghurt. The girl serving was patient and helpful.
The reception was held in the loft room and the organization was a bit of a shambles. We did not know that there was a wedding planner as no one took control! Every one was in and out did not know when they could seat or where to place gifts. There was no announcement for the food or to the sequence of tables. The food ran out leaving at least 30 guests waiting in the queue more than 45 min waiting for them to cook more. There were no spoons to take a serving of diced fruit and when I mentioned it to the 2 young girls they shrugged not knowing what to do? I think many of the staff are young school leavers with no training, on basic wages, so they did nothing to resolve any issues.These are to name but a few of the management problems. Also we would not recommend this place for the disabled as they have to walk a hill inclined, uneven, path all round the building through to the back door to enter. On crutches that took some time.
Check out was quick other than they worried me by saying that there had been 2 failed attempts, on my unused new card, and if I did not put the correct pin in it would be blocked, so I paid cash. A check with my bank later confirmed that no attempts had been made so their CC facility was faulty.
If you are physically fit, a horse lover, want to use the stables and swimming pool at a country retreat, though dated, then this could be for you.

I agree with Cris if we had not of had a discount it would of been very annoying. We would not book here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building in room 4. It looks onto the back with the extractors and bins!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brit-xpat

Reviewed 23 June 2014

if we did not have vouchers, I would have been very annoyed at paying actual money for this stay for what we received. The hotel had good parts (Internet, friendly staff and very clean) However the hotel in general was just very basic, apart from a pool, there really isn't anything else that a premier inn would have.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Overall experience was very poor. Bar and restaurant staff were very poor and untidy with very poor skills apart from one young man on the bar. This place needs a revamp from top to bottom. The rooms are dated and beds were uncomfortable with springs exposed. The internet was non existent even though it was supposedly super fast. Th e menu or lack of was poor with everything that was on the menu had run out. Will not be staying at best western again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have stayed in numerous BW before, and they are usually of consistent quality. Secured 2 nights for under £80
First impressions was lovely location: off the main road with a private driveway. Checkin was business like, I was given room 39. The hotel layout is quite unusual, I seemed to be in an annex, which was accessed thorough one of three communal doors.

Room (single) was small. Despite being an independent traveller I am used to being allocated a double as standard, so I must say this was a little disappointing. None the less the room was very comfortable: tea/ coffee making facilities, LCD TV On wall, adequate lighting. Shower only but with toiletries provided.

Availability of wifi is important: it was fast and reliable throughout my stay
I didn't use the restaurant, but did you the Stables Health center: 2 nice large pools, spa pools, plus fitness equipment. Nice and quiet too!

Had a good night sleep once music had died down, BW beds are usually comfy and maintained

Downside: this was not the quietest hotel, which is a shame as it is in a peaceful location. It seems most weekends there will be an event on, I was disturbed by one on the Friday and as my room faced onto the gardens it felt like the music was in my room! Throughout my stay there was a lot of banging of doors, people stomping up the stairs where my room was under. This did get a bit annoying after a while. The upside was my room was not set against any others, so it was only the movement of people that was an issue. I'm sure they must build these hotels out of cardboard to save money!

Shame there were no net curtains. For some reason BW seem to scrimp on these, but it means you have to close the curtains for any privacy. It was warm during my stay, as the room only had a small window that didn't let much air In.

If you are considering staying her for a leisure break but are flexible on dates, I would consider contacting the hotel or checking the website to see if any events are on. Most standard rooms seemed to face onto the gardens so I'm not sure if this was an issue for other rooms.

I would have been disappointed if I'd paid any more for the stay, but on balance for what I did pay it was ok

PROS
Good value rate
Access to health club
Nice surroundings

Cons
Not that accessible to to layout
Disturbance from hotel events
Disturbance from other guests

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Bolholt B, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear sir,

I can only apologise for the noise; it was a particularly busy weekend and we to take as many precautions as possible to prevent noise.

In regards to the net curtains, they have been ordered & will be with us shortly.

Looking forward to seeing you again,

Yours kindly,

J Asher Taylor
Bolholt Assistant Manager

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of weeks towards the end of May while on business and was put into a room on the second floor facing out to the back gardens. Beware there is no lift and is an effort to drag suitcases up the stairs to rooms.

First impression was room was ok and hotel was undergoing some modernisation.

Trying to get to sleep was difficult with constant doors banging and noise from other rooms. As if that wasn't bad enough at the weekend you have to endure music till all hours in the morning from a bar/club which is attached to the hotel.

The music thumped off the walls in the rooms and the windows were no good at keeping out the noise. I tried complaining to reception and despite trying to call no one answered.

I noticed when checking out they asked the guest in front if everything was ok but failed to ask myself.

I had to put up with two weekends of disturbance before I checked out and went to another hotel. The stress felt like I had been living with anti social neighbours for two weeks.

Sadly I won't be returning to this hotel and would not recommend it for people who
are looking for a nice peaceful hotel in the country. It is within a housing/industrial area and the pictures are deceiving by showing the green areas around the side and back of hotel.

Leisure facilities are ok, if not a little dated, but adequate.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the weekend unless you plan on partying all night
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Antz3113

Dear Sir,

I am glad you noticed our recent renovations; we have just created a new terrace that is not only used by our hotel guests, but also by our wedding parties too.

Unfortunately it was a very busy period for weddings and I am very sorry that this has affected you, however we do try our best to keep the noise to a bare minimum.

I do hope that you will change your mind so we can have a chance to show you the Hotel at its usual standard.

Yours kindly,

J Asher Taylor
Bolholt Assistant Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here on a visit to family. We booked this on the basis that it was a dog friendly hotel. When booking I was advised that I would have a garden room which would be opening out into a garaden area, and that the room would not be far from the reception area. Wrong on both counts - not sure our room could be any further away! And yes we did have a ground floor room, but no it did not immediately open onto the garden, it was accessible down a corridor (however, we could only use it once, as the handle had been broken, thus locking the door shut).

The room was clean and comfortable. The housekeepers were lovely - they very kindly (without asking) vaccumed the dogs beds of hair. It was very much appreciated.

We didn't eat at the hotel as we were only needing somewhere to stay whilst visiting family.

Be wary with the sat nav and directions...we ended up initially almost turning up a bridle path to the rear of the hotel.

The blurb for the hotel makes it sound much grander than it is..."sweeping tree lined drive" err more like a shrub dotted roadway.

The reception was under renovation when we visited, so smelt of paint and tile adhesive. Staff were friendly and welcoming, and apologetic for the renovations causing disruption.

As a base for our trips to visit family members this suited us. We will consider this again for future trips.

Sleep disrupted by a couple of wedding receptions/parties, but to be expected.

Room Tip: Dog Friendly rooms at no extra cost
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple