“Spa day at the Village”

Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bury
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My partner and I visited this hotel as past of a spa day package. This included full use of the gym, gym classes, pool and sauna/steam room. A "healthy" lunch and a 40 minute spa treatment were also included.
The gym was big, lots of cardio equipment and a "Womens only" gym was also available. The pool area was basic and clean, the steam room was nice but the sauna barely felt warm.
The blonde lady at the Spa area was great! Very, very helpful and she took the time to show us around which we really appreciated.
We were given a healthy "light lunch" menu to pick from for our package meal. I had the superfood salad t start, which was obviously quite bland and my partner had the mackeral salad, which he enjoyed.
My partner and I really did not enjoy our mains though. I had the tuna steak which was tasteless and although a light lunch, it really did not fill me up at all. My partner ordered the sea bass, which he said was ok, but the fennel salad on the other hand was disgusting. Too much fennel had been used to the point it was inedible and smelt like he had just ordered a 10 man round of sambucca! He did tell the waiter that he had not enjoyed the food, but our complaint was simply met with a shrug of shoulders.
The massages we had booked were great! Really relaxing and it was the best part of the day.
For the price, the package is great I just wish that the lunch menu was a bit more varied.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fairycakes33
Tracy H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Fairycakes33,

Please accept my apologies for the slight delay in responding to your comments. Having recently joined the Hotel it has taken slightly longer than I had anticipated for my profile to be updated to enable me to post management responses.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent visit to the Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you felt the spa package was great value for money with extensive use of the other Health and Fitness centre such as the state if the art gym, Ladies only gym and swimming pool. Customer point of contact is something we really strive towards and I am pleased to hear that you shown around the facilities before you used them.

I am how ever disappointed to hear that the food was not to your satisfaction and your feed back has been given to the Chef. I am also very surprised to hear that you were met with a shrug by one of our waiters when you informed him that you had not enjoyed the food as we are usually praised on how polite and helpful the team are and this is completely out of the noem.

Thank you once again for sharing your feed back and we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We had a great night here the pool and Spar and gym are first class. Dinner was great and some very good choices. Breakfast was well cooked buffet style. The hotel and bard bars are very very very dark

Stayed: July 2012

Dear Gaggyboot,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time in our state of the art gym and heated swimming pool, it is certainly popular with all our Hotel guests. The Chef was also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your food and that you felt there were was enough to choose from.

I am sorry to hear that you felt that the Hotel was very dark, we do have a lot of dark wood and the lighting levels are set for different stages of the day to help create an ambience but this is certainly something I will review.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Stayed just one night in August. Hotel is easy to locate just off the motorway and about 1 mile from the centre of Bury. The town centre is easily walkable or a number of buses stop nearby,for a decent real ale in town try the Automatic or Trackside (at East Lancs Railway Station.)
The hotel itself is a little noisy and the rooms a little dark for my liking, my bathroom also smelt of chlorine from the leisure centre below I suspect. There's a Starbucks by reception and a restaurant + bar, buffet breakfast was good with freindly staff. Would I stay again and recomend.... for £69 B&B yes to both!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear minstermen15,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your comments. Having recently joined the Hotel it has taken slightly longer than I had anticipated for my profile to be updated to enable me to post management responses.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you would recommend the Hotel to others and that you would stay with us again in the future, we have a multitude of businesses in one and it certainly is great value for money.

I am really sorry to hear about the smell of chlorine you experienced in your bedroom, this is not something I have previously come across but will certainly keep an eye on it for the future and thank you for bringing it to our attention. I am unsure as to whether you contacted Reception about this but we do operate a 24hr and an option of a room move may have been available.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the other aspects of the Hotel such as our Starbucks and our popular breakfast and the team were over joyed to hear your kind comments about them.

Thank you once again for sharing your feed back and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Stayed here in July for one night. Absolutely lovely hotel and wonderful staff. The room was spotless and the bed SO comfy....... I would definetly reccomend this hotel and having worked in the hotel industry for most of my life, understand that this has and delivers a high standard!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Michelle D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us back in July. I am delighted to hear that your room was spotless and you had a comfortable nights stay in one of our beds. We are an extremely busy Hotel and are continually striving for higher standards and it is really refreshing to hear positive comments.

Thank you once again for sharing your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We booked a two night stay inc buffet breakfast and a 3 course dinner each night for £177 for both of us, which includes use of pool, gym etc - very good dea!. Chose Bury as wanted to be near Manchester but far enough away to chill out. Some reviews say the hotel is too near the motorway, is noisy and poorly decorated - but this was not my experience at all. The hotel is set back from the motorway (I didnt find this at all noisy, from the outdor seating area or room!), hotel is really handy to drive to, is on a small business park and has a local pub near to it. The train station and metro link is only a 15 min walk away, 5 min car ride - Metro only took 15 mins to centre of Manchester and cost £5 return for two people.

The hotel is decorated as most other De Vere's, its personal taste but I find the darker colours very modern and tasteful. Check in is after 3pm, we arrived at 1 and asked if we could check in early and have a quieter room ie not over the bar area. We were offered a room straight away and were very happy with our room. It was spacious, at the front of the hotel (136), decorated well with everything you could need, plus we had a sofa bed. The only thing which would make the room more comfortable is some air con, but I found if leave windows wide open while not in room then is nice and airy when return. I do prefer individual soaps and shower gels in bathroms rathr then a dispenser, but this is again is only a personal taste. As we booked a standard room, I asked to see the "Superior" room to compare - it was right at the back of the hotel through lots of corridors - this section had not been updated to De Vere corporate colours and was the same size room but with 90's yellow walls, not my taste at all - did have a nice view of a river though. Im glad we didnt book this room.

We used the gym which was well equipped and spacious, the pool was a good size and had two lanes for swimmers sectioned off and a kids pool. The jacuzzi, sauna and steam room were very full so didnt get to try them. The female changing rooms were spacious, with hairdryers and a spinner for wet swimmers. You get a towel from spa reception.

The bar area was cosy and served light meals. Yes drinks are rather pricey but so are all hotels! You can take your own bottle(s) with you and staff are happy to provide ice buckets, glasses etc for your room.

The 3 course evening meal was served in the verve, which is a beautiful restaurant. We booked on both nights. We were given two menu's to choose from and the choice was fantastic, the food was of exellent quality and we really enjoyed picking six different foods each to try both nights.

We had a great sleep, comfy bed and pillows - no noise what so ever! The bathroom is compact but has everything you need in it.

Loved the breakfast, I much prefer buffet styles anyway, so can pick what you actually want rather then end up with a plate of certain foods you dont like. I found the food plentiful, hot with a good selection and choice. Starbucks is a good option too.

In summary, all staff were very professional and friendly, the facilities were excellent, we liked the location and very much enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Housty1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was absolutely delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us as was the team when they read your review. The Hotel is very well appointed with easy access from the motorway and had some excellent facilities as you described.

I am delighted to say that we are upgrading our Superior rooms to 'Upper deck' at the end of this month and these will include luxury touches like iPod docks, super-comfy Sealy Bedzzz, star bucks, Sky movies and pinch able toiletries.

Customer feed back is really important to us and we do continually strive for high standards and fantastic customer service, so it was such a pleasure to read about the great experience that you had and thank you for sharing that with us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Tracy Harrison and Team

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

just spent a night here . reception staff very friendly and helpful. room was lovely although bathroom was dusty and bedroom had a veiw of a flat roof. pool area was ok . food was lovely at dinner although be sure to ask for jug of water if you want water as wen asked if we would like water for table we were charged over £3 as they brought a bottle. they state breakfast till 10 and by 10;01 all the breakfeast had been cleared away.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury
Premier Inn Manchester Bury Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Bury? Share your experiences!