“Okay hotel”

Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bury
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here for one night end of June in two rooms. Reception were fantastic and allocated us two rooms together (as we were travelling with children) as requested. Reception area is very nice, although dark. The rooms could do,with a lick of paint, I think they have been wallpapered recently to give them A more modern look but the walls looked shabby. The bathrooms are what let them down, these are extremely old fashioned now, and aren't in he best state. Our sink had a massive crack in it. Also gets noisy early in morning with bin pick ups and bar deliveries. Therefore not much sleep at all. The breakfast was nice, but could do with more choice for children in pastry bit, like muffins? We used the pool once, this was lovely, however they had blocked more than half off for lane swimmers, which is fine, but then other people were swimming it and down outwith the lanes, and getting very grumpy with the kids because they were playing around. The location is very easy to find, just off the motorway M66. Would stay again because it was handy for our family who live in the area, but think it is over priced now.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Peter DGM T, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the hotel.

I am pleased to hear you had a good experience, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards
General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,095)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We use the Bury Village Hotel time after time. The staff are always friendly and go out of their way to help us. In June we came to our first party night for my friends hen party. Fab night, was full of fun, great food & entertainment was great. We will definately be back for another party night in the future - fun fun fun fun

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Peter DGM T, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Many thanks for this review of your recent visit to the Village Urban Resort Bury.

Thank you for your wonderful comments, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the tribute night you attended and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We visited the Village last night for a friends hen do and were severely disappointed!
It was a Boogie Nights 70's themed night and the experience went from bad to worse!
The food that was served was barely passable. I was violently ill after the goat cheese tart started, and the "rib eye" steak that you claim to serve was nothing more than braising steak... I know the difference! And the chocolate torte was just a mess.... no taste, bland and just mush on a plate resembling an over defrosted sara lee double chocolate gateaux!
Then the "entertainment" sigh....
A bloke in a afro wig, purple shirt and Elton John glasses PLUS playing the same songs he's had on the same 20 minute megamix REPEATEDLY since we sat down for the meal is not entertainment. Plus £3.50 for a pint of FLAT stella artois is ridiculous, when asked for a fresh pint i was refused and told if i wanted it more lively i would have to pay £3.50 for a fresh pint!
Needless to say a fair few of us abandoned ship as soon as we could....
I really wanted to like this venue as was hoping to book for a family function...will definitely be going elsewhere! Also tried to voice my concerns on Facebook... but surprise, surprise the comment has been deleted!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Peter DGM T, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for this review of your recent stay at the Village Urban Resort Bury.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered. I would very much like to discuss your review with you and be given the opportunity to turn this situation around, so please feel free to give me a call on the main hotel number 0161 764 4444 at your convenience.

Kind Regards,
Peter Thomson,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have been a member of the gym for over 10 years - in fact since it opened. It all looks very nice and the gym instructors and trainers are amazing but over the years the facilities have deteriorated. I have e mailed Matt on many occasions but rarely is anything done. Last time he rang and told me that there was an investor looking to invest and then spend money upgrading the gym and in any case if that did not happen Urban Resorts had plans to improve the gym. I use the gym almost daily and have pointed out many problems but only occasionally are they acted on. Currently there is a faulty bike(4th one on 2nd row) that I have pointed out several times but it is still faulty but the out of order sign is on its neighbour (which I guess may also be faulty). In the ladies changing room there has been a faulty light for weeks and twice it has been repaired only to fail again so clearly a loose connection. One of the soap dispensers in the showers is constantly out of order (due to misuse by an inconsiderate member) and the shower temperature controls are useless. Some of the plugs kindly provided for members to use their own hairdryers etc. are faulty and only work if the plug is pulled halfway out of its socket A safety issue that I have pointed out many times to no avail. The partitions between the showers are almost transparent due to being of poor quality but despite me mentioning it on many occasions nothing is done. Many of the headphones on the gym equipment do not work and often I try several tread mills or bikes to get one that works - and when several items of gym equipment are out of order as often happens it is very frustrating. I hate to say it but cleanliness in the changing rooms is not good and often at weekends or holiday periods it just doesn't get cleaned at all. As one of Trip Advisors Senior Reviewer I am resorting to it in the hope that bad publicity will shame the management as nothing else works. I look forward to their response.

Room Tip: I have never stayed there as I live locally and just use the gym
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MadPat83
Peter DGM T, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review of the gym at the Village Urban Resort Bury.

I would very much like to discuss this further with you and be given the opportunity to turn this situation around, so please feel free to give me a call on the main hotel number 0161 764 4444 at your convenience.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'm here with colleagues every friday for breakfast and they never disappoint in this department!! lovely lovely staff work in there unaware of names but all girls and cant fault them in anyway! food is decent and always plenty out for us, have a small wait for tea and coffee but nothing to complain about. receptionists are awful. rude. uninterested and just plain awful. they lack in customer service skills, in particular one girl with dark hair. as we are here every friday and I am unaware on who to make this complaint to I hope this review gets noticed and i see a difference in reception staff soon!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JoelFromBNI

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent dining experience at the Village Urban Resort Bury.

I am so pleased you enjoy your Friday breakfast; we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

In response to the rest of your review, we take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our reception manager.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

i just want to say the village is a lovely hotel however one very rude receptionist made my family feel very uncomfortable and a burden!!we were tutted at, had eyes rolled at us then were practically forced by her to fill in a comment card saying how nice she was!! my teenage son felt bullied and under pressure! this woman should not be on the front desk at all! cannot remember her name but she had large false eyelashes on and messy dark hair.

the pool and gym were lovely as was breakfast and our room.

Room Tip: dont feel pressured into filling out these ridiculous comment cards, they were throwing them at ever...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for this review of your recent stay at the Village Urban Resort Bury.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the issue you encountered. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that day, and for that I sincerely apologize. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our reception manager.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Went for a pre arranged hen night and the food was diabolical the soup was unrecognisable as to what sort it was ( I still don't know ) it had the consistency of baby food, the main was rock hard and dry chicken breast with no sauce, mashed potato that had a skin on it !!!! Never have I eaten anything like it before a slice of courgette and a slice of carrot and desert was lemon flavoured shaving foam .... Bloody horrible ...l won't be going back and will tell anyone I know to avoid like the plague ... I didn't complain at the time as it was my friends hen night and I didn't want to spoil it, the only good thing about the night was the DJ !!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Peter DGM T, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for commenting on your recent experience here at the Village Urban Resort Bury.

I am sorry the hotel did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please feel free to call me directly to turn this situation around on the main hotel number 0161 764 4444 at your convenience.